Model Cars Magazine Forum

66 Chevelle SS

bluestringer

On 10/30/2023 at 10:29 PM, Trendsetta68 said:

looking good , I love this kit ! 😇👍

Thanks.

On 10/30/2023 at 11:48 PM, Deathgoblin said:

Got one of these and I'm curious to see how it builds.  Watching this one.  :)

Thanks.

On 10/31/2023 at 8:16 AM, slusher said:

Good start James!  Always wanted to build this kit.

Thanks Carl.

9 minutes ago, espo said:

As you can see in your picture the big block does just fit. The driver's side valve cover on a factory car with the power brake option actually has a flat notch on the back side to clear the brake booster unit. 

Yea, it fills the bay. But look at the passenger side where the heater box is on the firewall. On the model it's way to far in, half of it is behind the engine, no place to connect hoses. I think now the firewall on the model is too small, should be wider.

2 minutes ago, bluestringer said:

Yea, it fills the bay. But look at the passenger side where the heater box is on the firewall. On the model it's way to far in, half of it is behind the engine, no place to connect hoses. I think now the firewall on the model is too small, should be wider.

I see what you are saying about the heater hoses and valve cover clearance in your model. Looking at the picture of your models firewall it does look like the heater box is mounted to close to the center of the firewall. Was the heater box molded to the firewall in this kit or did you have to mount it? I have not built this particular '66 Chevelle kit and it wasn't originally an AMT product. Lindberg was the company that did the molds and Round 2 has reissued it as an AMT product. I just now looked back in my stash at an original Lindberg '66 Chevelle and it shows that the heater box is to be mounted on the firewall, but further toward the passenger fender than this. You could see if you can remove and remount the heater box, or drill and mount heater hoses close to where they should be as long as it clears your valve cover on that side.   

• Like 1

14 hours ago, espo said:

I see what you are saying about the heater hoses and valve cover clearance in your model. Looking at the picture of your models firewall it does look like the heater box is mounted to close to the center of the firewall. Was the heater box molded to the firewall in this kit or did you have to mount it? I have not built this particular '66 Chevelle kit and it wasn't originally an AMT product. Lindberg was the company that did the molds and Round 2 has reissued it as an AMT product. I just now looked back in my stash at an original Lindberg '66 Chevelle and it shows that the heater box is to be mounted on the firewall, but further toward the passenger fender than this. You could see if you can remove and remount the heater box, or drill and mount heater hoses close to where they should be as long as it clears your valve cover on that side.   

The heater box is a separate part and there is a slot on the firewall for it. It can't be moved to the left it would overhang the firewall. The problem is the shape of the firewall. I had planned to add heater hoses, but it's no big deal, I'll just go without them. Too much trouble now to try and fix it just to add them. 

23 hours ago, bluestringer said:

Got the chassis ready, engine installed. Looks to me the engine is too big for the bay. The area on the firewall where the heater hoses attach is blocked by the engine as seen in the reference photo. 

You could just route the heater hoses in this vicinity, or wherever is convenient. Anyone not familiar with the model or the actual car would never know the difference.🧐

IMG_9097.jpeg

• Like 1

On 11/6/2023 at 11:09 AM, NOBLNG said:

You could just route the heater hoses in this vicinity, or wherever is convenient. Anyone not familiar with the model or the actual car would never know the difference.🧐

IMG_9097.jpeg

I don't usually add heater hoses, but I decided I was on this build. I could add them there, but it's no big deal deal I'll just leave it as is. Thanks.

On 11/5/2023 at 12:08 PM, bluestringer said:

Got the chassis ready, engine installed. Looks to me the engine is too big for the bay. The area on the firewall where the heater hoses attach is blocked by the engine as seen in the reference photo. 

_IGP1494.JPG

Edited by Pierre_tec
Post the caption on wrong side