Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ferrari 250 GTO s/n 3987GT, Sebring 1963 : Roger Penske/Augie Pabst

In October 1962, Luigi Chinetti /NART bought  GTO 3987GT and his car won the 1000 km Paris(Monthléry) with the Rodriguez brothers at the wheel. Shortly afterwards, he sold the car to John Mecom - his Mecom Racing team campaigned the car with Roger Penske driving at most events, sometimes together with Augie Pabst. The car was repainted in the well-known Mecom colors of metallic blue with a white stripe.

In Sebring they achieved a 4th overall behind 3 Ferrari prototypes, winning the GT 3,0 class:

Internet pictures by Louis Galanos and Bernard Cahier :                 1891761069_1963SebringPenske-Pabst.jpg.2453bc65f49dd49ecd0e34fcd1059c3a.jpg

258087421_RogerPenske1963.jpg.7c71d14af9bcd1da72617f590db0cd99.jpg

At the end of 1963, the car was sold again and after several ownerships, 3987GT finally ended up in the famous Ralph Lauren collection in 1985.

On to the model: 

I bought a cheap, unpainted  buildup of Revells  kit from 1989 (ex-Italeri ) and wanted to turn it into the 1963 Sebring class winner – the goal was a quick curbside build to show off Jason’s fantastic 3D printed  Borrani wheels.

Building turned out to be a string of troubles and took much longer than expected: the paint still has some issues, but as this is supposed to be a racer and not a show-queen, I called it a day .

As a 3rd cooling slot had been cut into the body sides between practice and race, I tried Ace’s method in replicating that.

Anyway, I’m glad it is finally done – some small touch-ups here and there will be done, otherwise it is finished. Its best feature is the Borrani rims and Dunlop racing tires from Jack Modeling  – highly recommended  - see my separate topic in the Car Aftermarket/Resin/3 D printed section!    

On to the pics (taken today):

P1080322.JPG.ff286939ab0f7fcae758bd6ffd1f3dde.JPGP1080310.JPG.6273be0580d9e448b761c5dc8974481e.JPGP1080321.JPG.0f2dcd15e606ef59d78a9f3c00c84593.JPGP1080320.JPG.77cd58350252e9482c2c7dc65572e519.JPGP1080318.JPG.df8cd4b722919cb91a12fd36ba82961e.JPGP1080325.JPG.9112fa99db25b3910fc435b6471a1d13.JPGP1080328.JPG.a4f8584cc83280dc9b009edae95fdd81.JPG       

Edited by 1959scudetto
  • Like 6

Helmut...despite all your trials and tribulations you managed to turn out a very respectable model.   Well done.  Helpful hint..if I may.  Next time you need a thin parting line stripe  lay a piece of appropriate color vinyl tape on a piece of glass. Cut it the width you want with a sharp blade and metal straight edge.  Apply like tape where you want it. You can even adjust it when  its on the model with a toothpick or similar. Much easier than trying to paint it although you still did a great job. 

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Pierre Rivard said:

Nice to see Jason's wheels & tires on a finished model. You gave new life to an old kit and Jason's parts are a definite upgrade for these nice Ferraris.

Thanks for sharing it Helmut. We never tire of seeing cars from your GTO stable.

Thanks, Pierre, these wheels are definitive worth it - can't wait to see what excellent GTO you're going to build next.

I need a quickbuilder now - this was giving me endless troubles I had not expected. My skills have rusted a bit and I don't have the patience for super detailing like you and Ace and Andy show in your WIPs - there is some competition going on, raising the bar always higher...

• 1959scudetto changed the title to Ferrari 250 GTO s/n 3987GT, Sebring 1963 : Roger Penske/Augie Pabst
20 hours ago, Rich Chernosky said:

Helmut...despite all your trials and tribulations you managed to turn out a very respectable model.   Well done.  Helpful hint..if I may.  Next time you need a thin parting line stripe  lay a piece of appropriate color vinyl tape on a piece of glass. Cut it the width you want with a sharp blade and metal straight edge.  Apply like tape where you want it. You can even adjust it when  its on the model with a toothpick or similar. Much easier than trying to paint it although you still did a great job. 

Rich, your contributions are always very helpful -I will try this next time when facing a similar situation. 

Helmut, your GTO looks GREAT! Very nice. 😁 Love the wheels and tires, and authentic colors and markings. You captured the original really well. Thank you for sharing. Keep up the good work!

By the way; now that it's done and resting on your shelf, GTO stands for "Great-To-Own". 😋

Edited by Hoffman
typo
  • Thanks 1

Great to see a GTO in a non-red livery and I think it is very interesting that models of two cars Roger Penske actually raced at Sebring in '63 and '64 are simultaneously  Under Glass.

Roger's Team Penske has a very successful year in 2024 with an Indy 500 win, a NASCAR championship and some wins with the Porsche 963 GTP.

On 11/10/2023 at 7:45 AM, Dave B said:

Looking good Helmut, a fair bit of extra work to replicate the racer, congratulations.

Dave B

PS the wheels do look good!!

Thanks, Dave - I tried to get the details correct as far as possible, but after painting I realised that the ventilation slots behind both side windows should have been closed (they do not exist on this very car). Unfortunately, I had almost run out of the color (can was used up), so I let it be like that.

On 11/13/2023 at 2:53 AM, Phildaupho said:

Great to see a GTO in a non-red livery and I think it is very interesting that models of two cars Roger Penske actually raced at Sebring in '63 and '64 are simultaneously  Under Glass.

Roger's Team Penske has a very successful year in 2024 with an Indy 500 win, a NASCAR championship and some wins with the Porsche 963 GTP.

Phil, I like Ferraris in other colors - the works cars have to be red, anyway.

Penske's cars of 1963 and 1964 at the same time under glass is pure coincidence.