Model Cars Magazine Forum

Did AMT or MPC ever make these large pick-ups?

Wondering if these things exist as model kits? I've always loved these larger versions of the more common pick-up cabs. I think the cabs were the same as the regular ones but with larger front clips. They're so cool looking but seem to not be very popular over there, most videos I see of them on YT are of them being cut up, and most look solid. They're beautiful looking rigs I think.

truck3.jpg

truck2.jpg

truck1.jpg

Your last GMC medium duty truck runs the standard GMC pickup cab, with the bumper lowered relative the "face", and opened up wheel cutouts.

I seem to recall a retrofit kit in resin to modify the Chevy cab to the GMC look.

image.jpeg.1b22cfea84ce476fa322c16f2ce7da55.jpeg

The other two cabs have been done by aftermarket resin guys, but never kitted in styrene.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

I seem to recall a retrofit kit in resin to modify the Chevy cab to the GMC look.

There was a conversion set made for a while back in the early 2000s(?) that turned the AMT kit into the GMC equivalent pickup truck. If I remember, it was a small kitchen table company making it and GM sent them a letter telling them to cease and desist. Somewhere, I have this set or a knock-off that I got at a hobby show. I set it aside for another day and lost track.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Your last GMC medium duty truck runs the standard GMC pickup cab, with the bumper lowered relative the "face", and opened up wheel cutouts.

The other two cabs have been done by aftermarket resin guys, but never kitted in styrene.

yea, looks like resin or 3D print is the only option. Though of all the resin choices out there these medium duty trucks seem to be a in the 'dusty corner' so to speak.

8 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

A Q&D search turned these up currently available. I'm sure there are more.

Yep, exactly what I'm looking for. Wish there was an off the shelf kit produced, R2 are you listening? haha. I've been looking into resin and 3D a lot lately but options are limited here in UK. 

23 minutes ago, Fat Brian said:

Member here ziana is starting to print a lot of these trucks in near full detail. Check out his threads in the truck aftermarket section.

Yes, I've bought several 3D printed cars from him--quick service and very clean, crisp prints.  

• Like 1

I'm still on the fence about embracing the longevity of liquid-resin printed offerings.

Having a few not-cheap parts warp to unusable wads in just a few months (at least as bad as the old acetate took many years to get to), I'll most likely hold off spending anything more on 3D until I can print my own, and determine why and how what works and what warps...or until I have time to make stable silicone molds of anything I buy.

There are casting resins out there that have a proven track-record of stability for decades. 3D printing resins, not so much.

Over the decades, I've only had two old-school resin bodies warp badly, one because of my stupid way of storing it, and one where the resin was simply mixed wrong by the maker.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
  • Like 1

doorsovdoon , look up 1/25th chevy stake truck diecast of the 1st truck shown. I think it was Ertl and/ or Liberty classics were the makers? They made a Cambell's Soup version and Coke- a- cola truck like that. Please google it. Sorry I don't have a link!!! 

Edited by paul alflen
added stake truck to description.
  • Like 1

On 11/9/2023 at 5:57 PM, Ace-Garageguy said:

I'm still on the fence about embracing the longevity of liquid-resin printed offerings.

Having a few not-cheap parts warp to unusable wads in just a few months (at least as bad as the old acetate took many years to get to), I'll most likely hold off spending anything more on 3D until I can print my own, and determine why and how what works and what warps...or until I have time to make stable silicone molds of anything I buy.

There are casting resins out there that have a proven track-record of stability for decades. 3D printing resins, not so much.

Over the decades, I've only had two old-school resin bodies warp badly, one because of my stupid way of storing it, and one where the resin was simply mixed wrong by the maker.

I work with resin quite often, though for 1-1 car parts. I've yet to venture into the field of 3D and I too have mixed feelings on it as you described right there. Took me a while to find a good resin for the jobs I do and works for me. If it ain't broke don't fix it, as they say but 3D can only improve so I will eventually explore it.

4 hours ago, paul alflen said:

doorsovdoon , look up 1/25th chevy stake truck diecast of the 1st truck shown. I think it was Ertl and/ or Liberty classics were the makers? They made a Cambell's Soup version and Coke- a- cola truck like that. Please google it. Sorry I don't have a link!!! 

Cool! Thanks, Paul. Looks like only one available in 1/25, an ERTL. 1882788537_staketruck.jpg.37a41b315db37149ce979fc1dbb6d4f6.jpgI might just buy one to cast in resin see how it go's, though die-cast are very different in construction. I see more options now than I did before I started this thread.👍

Edited by doorsovdoon