Model Cars Magazine Forum

winter project

Paul Payne

Decided to dig out a never started project from the stash.  Shortly after the reissue of the AMT 1953 Studebaker I picked up this resin casting of the 1962 GT Hawk. Wil need quite a bit of work, including fabricating a rear grille. Using an Avanti engine with the twin Paxton supercharger option. Found some nice whitewall tires at the C.A.R.B.S. meet. Thinking about a dark red, but that may change.

IMG_3542.jpg

IMG_3543.jpg

IMG_3544.jpg

IMG_3545.jpg

IMG_3546.jpg

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Got a bit more done. One exhaust pipe is installed with its muffler. Decided to make my own exhaust tips. The one on the left is my first attempt. Threw some chrome pen on it to see where I'm at. Needs a bit more work but overall not too bad. The one on the right is what I started with- just need to sand away everything that doesn't look like an exhaust tip!

IMG_3799.jpg

IMG_3798.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Began working on the interior. The bench seat from the 53 Stude was cut in two, then on half was also cut in two, then sanding was begun to reduce the width. Once the right width is established, the other half will be altered to match. Also started adding filler to the inside surface that was cut, using liquid styrene cement for the first bond. Will reinforce that with superglue, then putty and sand. The width will have to be further reduced to fit next to the center console, which was found in the stash and adapted. Looks like the interior sides will be sanded to be much thinner and proper tuck'n'roll and other features will be built up . More pix when I get more done!

IMG_3894.jpg

IMG_3895.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Getting more done- bit by bit! Inside sides have been sanded down and thinned. The vertical tuck and rolls are 0.040" half round and each piece was glued in place using liquid styrene cement-NOT a one day job, and that's only one side! The tuck and roll on the passenger side of the dash was also installed piece by piece using super glue since styrene cement won't work with styrene and resin. Other areas of the dash were also improved with putty, styrene, and super glue, mainly in the right side of the gauge surround. Everything has to be sanded and sculpted to final shape. An actual 1/4" wide panel will be installed just under the tuck and roll. These will be finished as brushed aluminum and will include the arm rests. The door handles and window cranks will be mounted in the tuck and roll areas. More pix and info when I get more done!

IMG_3933.jpg

IMG_3934.jpg

IMG_3935.jpg

IMG_3936.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Been working on interior stuff. Dashboard is completed. Steering wheel is in process. Chrome panels are completed. Paint on the rear seats and center console- created an ash tray for the console. Started the first arm rest from quarter round stock- 4 altogether. Second bucket seat still ongoing. Next big project is creating door handles and 4 window cranks from silver wire and slices of rod stock.

IMG_3966.jpg

IMG_3967.jpg

IMG_3968.jpg

IMG_3969.jpg

IMG_3970.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Interior is finished! Door handles and window cranks made from wire and slices of styrene rod, arm rests made from 1/8" quarter round styrene, more work on the seats for a proper fit. Added door locks and a groove on top trim to simulate the door division.

IMG_3988.jpg

IMG_3989.jpg

IMG_3990.jpg

IMG_3992.jpg

Edited by Paul Payne

• 2 months later...