Jump to content
Model Cars Magazine Forum

How to make candy pink paint?


Recommended Posts

What would be the best way? Candy red over white primer? AFAIK, there is no such thing as candy white. It’s for a better version of a model I made years ago. It was the Monogram Packard boat tail speedster. It was solid pink with purple fenders and trim. It got warped sitting in the back seat of my real car in February of 2006. I would like to do it again with candy paint. Maybe some metal flake and/or pearl also. 
 

Thanks. Lee

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Candy paint implies that it is translucent, to show the base coat it will be applied over. Usually the base coat is some sort of metallic paint to result in a deep metallic color.

Candy red over plain white will likely result in non metallic red color.  If non-metallic is your goal, then just use plain opaque pink paint.

To get candy pink you would likely need to start with translucent candy pink color over metallic base.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

https://houseof1000kolors.com/products/kk18hok

Rattlecans too:  https://www.amazon.com/Kandy-House-Kolor-Aerosol-Kosmic/dp/B099W1QH99

The bugger about candy is that if your overlap technique isn't perfect, you WILL get streaks and uneven color. It's a little easier on model cars, as the fan pattern from the spray nozzle covers a proportionately much larger area than on a real car, but I've seen some awful streaky messes on models anyway.

Candies also get darker, more intense, the more coats you shoot...so be aware that if you use real candy, some careful experimentation, and sprayout cards with info recorded, is absolutely necessary to get the effect you want (the last candy we had in the shop to repair took our very experienced painter 2 days of doing sprayout cards with varying bases and numbers of coats, to get a match).

Picking a nail polish pink pearl you like, and then burying it in multiple coats of clear, would probably be your best bet.

Nail colors are available with very fine pearl flake, so unless you want the bass-boat effect, that's the way I'd most likely go...though noblng's idea of pearl in clear over a pink base has real merit too.   :D

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Bills72sj said:

Now you have me curious. I have some pink mica powders. Though, I cannot imagine painting any of my projects pink.

IMG_2860.JPG

That boat tail Packard looked pretty cool in pink with dark purple fenders and trim. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, stinkybritches said:

I don't know what kind of paint that you want to use, but here is a Createx video showing how to make candy pink with their paint line.

https://youtu.be/DZ9abknPwO4?si=Tq5TCnh8ieNY5FN7

I can't embed the video. I'm assuming it's due to the ongoing forum issues.

 

That’s a really cool video. I was thinking of using Tamiya airbrush lacquers. They don’t have the color selection of a brand like Createx, though. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

https://houseof1000kolors.com/products/kk18hok

Rattlecans too:  https://www.amazon.com/Kandy-House-Kolor-Aerosol-Kosmic/dp/B099W1QH99

The bugger about candy is that if your overlap technique isn't perfect, you WILL get streaks and uneven color. It's a little easier on model cars, as the fan pattern from the spray nozzle covers a proportionately much larger area than on a real car, but I've seen some awful streaky messes on models anyway.

Candies also get darker, more intense, the more coats you shoot...so be aware that if you use real candy, some careful experimentation, and sprayout cards with info recorded, is absolutely necessary to get the effect you want (the last candy we had in the shop to repair took our very experienced painter 2 days of doing sprayout cards with varying bases and numbers of coats, to get a match).

Picking a nail polish pink pearl you like, and then burying it in multiple coats of clear, would probably be your best bet.

Nail colors are available with very fine pearl flake, so unless you want the bass-boat effect, that's the way I'd most likely go...though noblng's idea of pearl in clear over a pink base has real merit too.   :D

Great info. The nail Polish idea could keep it simple and not so expensive. I went to a supermarket last night and they don’t have much of a nail polish selection. I guess I would need to go to a nail salon. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, LDO said:

I guess I would need to go to a nail salon. 

Big department stores, even places like Walmart and Target, usually have pretty good nail polish selections within the cosmetics section...though higher-end ones are usually better, with more choices. Major chain drugstores are also good sources. There are "beauty supply" stores as well.

I live in the suburbs not far from a fairly major city, and all these options are pretty close to me. Your mileage may vary.  :D

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, LDO said:

Great info. The nail Polish idea could keep it simple and not so expensive. I went to a supermarket last night and they don’t have much of a nail polish selection. I guess I would need to go to a nail salon. 

Go to the Dollar store. A range of pinks and reds will likely be available.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...