Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT Copperhead

bluestringer

1 hour ago, Zippi said:

That looks pretty kewl there James.  Never built a Dragster before.  

My first one also Bob. Seems like a simple kit. The frame is all one piece, so no fiddling with it. Nice looking engine with it, I'll add some plug wires, but it will mostly be OOB build. Thought about some fuel lines but not sure how these things are plumbed. 

1 hour ago, bluestringer said:

My first one also Bob. Seems like a simple kit. The frame is all one piece, so no fiddling with it. Nice looking engine with it, I'll add some plug wires, but it will mostly be OOB build. Thought about some fuel lines but not sure how these things are plumbed. 

Depends on the years, but they have a huge fuel line and a smaller return line. Fuel pump mounts off the camshaft and sticks out past the blower belt. From the pump to the barrel valve to the injectors. 

Top Fuel Dragster Fuel System Diagram

post-10934-0-72344500-1434207263_thumb.j

billy lynch dragster, pat foster chassis, cackle car, nitro thunderfest, slingshot dragster, vintage top fuel, drag racing, nitro hemi

2 hours ago, dwc43 said:

Depends on the years, but they have a huge fuel line and a smaller return line. Fuel pump mounts off the camshaft and sticks out past the blower belt. From the pump to the barrel valve to the injectors. 

Top Fuel Dragster Fuel System Diagram

post-10934-0-72344500-1434207263_thumb.j

billy lynch dragster, pat foster chassis, cackle car, nitro thunderfest, slingshot dragster, vintage top fuel, drag racing, nitro hemi

Thanks. I've got what looks like three connections on the fuel pump, one at the bottom, two at the top. I'm assuming the bottom one is the return, and the one of the top ones is the inlet, the other the outlet? Where would I connect the line at the injectors? Looks like there is a small distribution block on the front of the injectors. I may give it a try if I can find the right wire to do it with. It would not be perfect, but it may give it a better look. 

Bottom return, side from the tank, and top is the outlet to the barrel valve and from the valve to the injectors. The barrel valve is controlled by the throttle pedal. on the pics with the injector hat the barrel valve is on the side of the hat. The throttle opens the butterflies and controls the valve at the same time. Your engine looks like it has 8 short stacks. One line to the bottom of each stack and the throttle opens 8 butterflies inside the bottom of the stacks. Hard to see your pic, but it looks like it has a base under the stacks. Your injector lines could go in there. Trying to keep it simple, but hope that helps.

IMG_2135.jpg

IMG_8958.jpg

IMG_0189.jpeg

Edited by dwc43
  • Like 1

Engine almost done, headers will go on last. I know the plumbing is probably not accurate, but It's all I can do. I'm satisfied with it. There are lines going to the injectors, hard to see because they are black, should have used blue like the feed line. 

_IGP1519.JPG

_IGP1520.JPG

_IGP1521.JPG

Edited by bluestringer

On 11/21/2023 at 9:53 AM, dragcarz said:

You’re off to a great start, I’ll be watching!

Thanks.

On 11/25/2023 at 7:55 PM, dwc43 said:

Looks good, including the lines.

Thanks.

On 11/26/2023 at 10:37 PM, Andrew McD said:

Good looking engine!  I'll be keeping an eye on this one.

Thanks.