Model Cars Magazine Forum

What about Nissan Hardbody pickups?

Yo,

So, in the early 2000s, and until around 2016-ish, a 2WD 1992 Nissan D-21 King Cab pickup served as my ready-steady dd, until it rusted into oblivion..

It was pretty much the same as the one in this pic, though mine was much darker green, and retained it's factory pinstripes and lettering, the one in this pic has clearly been repainted, and they didn't exactly get the color right :

1995_nissan_truck-pic-3038057418532819739-1024x768.jpeg.a73de337a27cc2db266b1c2b90c6b240.jpeg

I was quite fond of the tough as nails, ugly little ba$tard, and I want to do a build of it..

So, the answer is YES, I am well aware of the 1/20 scale kit, and it is indeed nice and detailed, BUT I don't do 1/20 scale..

1/24 or 1/25 so that it matches all my other stuff in terms of scale..

Do any of you know of a 1/24 kit in styrene, likely from a Japanese company, perhaps a resin kit, or a diecast?

I appreciate any insight, thanks!

7 hours ago, bobthehobbyguy said:

I suspect that the operation is more complicated than scanning a 1/20th scale it and then reducing it to 25th.

Maybe someone who knows rhe issues of that process could enlighten us.

It would be the same as scanning a 1/1 and recuding to whichever scale you desire. Bigger even if you wanted. 

3 minutes ago, Spottedlaurel said:

I don't believe they ever offered a pickup version, but Aoshima's Terrano D21 could be a useful starting point?

IMG_9054.JPG.45a1906a55a8bdf04b7acbddffd699c3.JPG

you could possibly use the bed from the aoshima datsun 720, or graft the front from this on it. the datsun is a very basic kit though

On 11/26/2023 at 1:51 PM, oldcarfan said:

Since cloning tools is a thing now, I'd love to see Round 2 clone the Hardbody and Tacoma Lindberg tools they already own except turn them into 1/25th versions so those of us with Modeling OCD could enjoy them.

This would be swell..

I had bought the 1/20 at one point, thinking I could get over the difference in scale just to have THE truck!

I couldn't..

BUT, that kit is really nicely detailed, I think it'd be a huge seller for Round2 if they brought it out in 1/25..

On 11/30/2023 at 5:10 PM, Spottedlaurel said:

I don't believe they ever offered a pickup version, but Aoshima's Terrano D21 could be a useful starting point?

IMG_9054.JPG.45a1906a55a8bdf04b7acbddffd699c3.JPG

Thanks for posting this, I owned an incredibly rusted out one of these things for a while that I used as a yard truck for haulin brush and plowin snow on my farm..

Until it got so bad that if you opened the doors on both sides simultaneously the thing tried to fold in on itself lol

Never knew there was a kit version, gonna try an track one down now..

On 12/1/2023 at 2:32 PM, Erik Solie said:

Well, not saying that we're going to, but if Moebius ever does one, the reference vehicle will be my daily driver, a 1993 D-21 standard cab!

DUDE, Moebius kits are Top-Shelf!

I've bought multiple copies of the '55-56 Chryslers, '65 Plymouths, and the whole line of Hudsons, they're all excellent!

If ever a Moebius Nissan truck were to materialize, I'd buy so many of em!

Thatd be killer!

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/20/2023 at 7:02 AM, chryslerjunkandstuff said:

Yo,

So, in the early 2000s, and until around 2016-ish, a 2WD 1992 Nissan D-21 King Cab pickup served as my ready-steady dd, until it rusted into oblivion..

It was pretty much the same as the one in this pic, though mine was much darker green, and retained it's factory pinstripes and lettering, the one in this pic has clearly been repainted, and they didn't exactly get the color right :

1995_nissan_truck-pic-3038057418532819739-1024x768.jpeg.a73de337a27cc2db266b1c2b90c6b240.jpeg

I was quite fond of the tough as nails, ugly little ba$tard, and I want to do a build of it..

So, the answer is YES, I am well aware of the 1/20 scale kit, and it is indeed nice and detailed, BUT I don't do 1/20 scale..

1/24 or 1/25 so that it matches all my other stuff in terms of scale..

Do any of you know of a 1/24 kit in styrene, likely from a Japanese company, perhaps a resin kit, or a diecast?

I appreciate any insight, thanks!

Here is someone selling printed copies.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/255766309966?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=609VLjblRAW&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=CNi_i6G9QKy&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/18/2023 at 8:52 AM, Jordan White said:

Yeah the American SATCO version is the same as the Aoshima kit, with the addition of the LHD parts. They also did the 4Runner/Hilux Surf. I did get the most recent reissue of the Aoshima Hilux Surf and it does have the LHD parts included, for anyone who's interested.

As you found with the HiLux Surt, the LHD parts are included in the Terrano (Pathfinder) kit as well.  The only thing SATCO did was include a decal sheet for the U.S. trim/names for both of them, as both kits have always had LHD & RHD set ups from the time they were tooled up in 1992.