Model Cars Magazine Forum

67 Camaro B&R Performance C/SM

Nitro330

Worked on the photoetch RS grill the last couple days.  Wasn't sure how I was going to do this so I figured I would start with cutting out the middle of the grill.   Took a while, but came out nice and the photoetch piece fit perfectly.  Next I had to grind down the molded-in headlights.   Another slow and tedious job, but got them down to a decent depth.  With a couple of adjustments, they fit nice.  Rechromed the grill surround and painted the photoetch black with a thin chrome trim on the edges.  Now it has a decent 67 RS grill.

CamaroNewGrillpieces.jpg.e594186f5a1a00a7e9c79d18e2cbd7af.jpg    CamaroGrillCutout.jpg.3a577dd3d7e091263ee123b84c43550a.jpg

CamaroGrillunfinished.jpg.65985df57a06f7fafa04fa94650ad45f.jpg    CamaroGrillFinished.jpg.eb82df2186e266053b769e21aa32dc7f.jpg

Also, did a test fit of everything today and realized that in this kit, the radiator is about three blocks away from the engine, so I'm going to cut out the radiator support and will try and come up with a new one that is a bit closer.  Wouldn't be a build without the setbacks I guess.  After going back and forth, I decided to remove the molded-in washer fluid reservoir too.  It was also a pain to cut out, but I was able to patch it up okay.

Camaroradiator.jpg.df7ed596da6dd4476c261a2fd3a8c8b8.jpg    

• Like 7

Fantastic job Terry!  Your attention to detail is extraordinary and your talent obvious.  As many others have mentioned, I wonder how I could have missed your project because it's my type of build.  The grille is especially convincing among all these modifications which are just as convincing! 👍

Been getting a little bench time most days the last week.  As I mentioned before, I cut out the radiator support and got a new one made up this week.  Not perfect, but looks much better and moves the radiator a little closer.   Made up the fender/radiator braces out of copper tube.   While I was concentrating on the engine compartment, I got some misc. parts done (fuel pressure regulator, super coil, lower radiator hose, master cylinder and that tiny white thing is a ballast resistor).

CamaroradiatorBraces.jpg.1e552c1750d18764f9c1153c5e596775.jpg      Camarounderhoodparts.jpg.897b520c3c0f15e2abbcf2fad576da28.jpg 

Also, worked on the back bumper.  The kit does not have the bumper braces, so I made up some out of square rod.  I am quite happy with the way they turned out.

Camarorearbumper1.jpg.12cfd69c49812ac21722c3213a6989ee.jpg    Camarorearbumper2.jpg.4fe9238f64b991a690a4e9b675257947.jpgCamarorearbumper3.jpg.50534652020e3d56ef34a7ed6be3f9cd.jpg

Body received first color coat today and is in the dehydrator.  Hoping to get started on the BMF and decals next weekend.  I have a busy next 3-4 weeks, so I am going to try and fit in bench time wherever I can.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, dragcarz said:

Really great looking details Terry, and the bumper looks great!

Thanks Roger!

14 hours ago, Moparman18064 said:

Really nice work. I really like your brake line hold downs. Grille came out sweet. Where did you find the fuel pressure regulator?

Thanks Rich!  The regulator is from Iceman Collections.

2 hours ago, Musclecarbuilder said:

Man looking great! I love the radiator and the bumper braces! Looks awesome.🙂 

Thanks Will, appreciate it!

Finally got it painted this week, including the engine compartment.  Used MCW Ermine White enamel, came out pretty nice.  Still need to paint the headliner black.  Also got the BMF on the window trim.  Added wing windows and side window trim.  Will be making the side glass for it.  Next up is decals and clear coat.  Will not be able to get to that until next weekend.  Hopefully next update will have body just about finished.

CamaroPainted1.jpg.e3cd3648a1e56fe1d576982560357065.jpg    CamaroPainted2.jpg.52fad90ad794a0bf707ad933596fc986.jpg

CamaroPainted3.jpg.7fae2f236fb866c734dc9afd2e325b85.jpg

• Like 4

17 hours ago, Straightliner59 said:

This is really coming along, beautifully, Terry. The stance is perfect! It could not look more like a Stocker!

Thanks Daniel, hoping to get it completed in the next couple of weeks.

• Like 1

Got the decals and clearcoat on and then 8 hours in the dehydrator.  Looks pretty good.  Those decals were one piece for the sides.  It was not fun!!!  These aren't super quality like Slixx, so I had several places where the ink cracked on the red.  I was able to mix up a red that closely matched and made some touch ups.  Took a lot of setting solution around the rear fenders.  Added a few photoetch pieces before the clearcoat (gas cap, door/trunck locks and hood pins).  I now use Acme Finish 1 automotive clearcoat and love it.  Very easy to use and provides a high gloss and super durable finish.  Hoping to get the windows in and started on final assembly tomorrow.  Maybe, if the stars align, I could have it finished next weekend.

CamaroBody1.jpg.834c14477cd3ce12d1cc2bf42003e953.jpg    CamaroBody2.jpg.5cd5a729667187edf69b449c144aec3f.jpg

CamaroBody3.jpg.cd4767ea1461044935da46675fcb8925.jpg    CamaroBody4.jpg.4c326fe1b4ac6ed732e3e3e278ce90d1.jpg

• Like 5

Very cool, love these era drag cars, everything so far looks awesome.  Maybe I missed it but where did those decals come from? Some day I'd like to do a few lesser known drag cars from some local guys but I have no idea who would make decals for it since it would most likely have to be a one off decal sheet.  Only thing I've noticed that could make it more realistic is those front wheels which I assume are from one of the old MPC super stock vega race cars just don't resemble the real deal cragar super tricks or centerline auto drags, they're just too wide for front runners.  I've come across a couple aftermarket resin companies that make a great super trick and centerline skinny front runner.  I bought a set from futur attraction but competition resin also makes some that look the same, maybe the same tooling? not sure.  

20240225_205642.jpg

Edited by keviiin86
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, keviiin86 said:

Very cool, love these era drag cars, everything so far looks awesome.  Maybe I missed it but where did those decals come from? Some day I'd like to do a few lesser known drag cars from some local guys but I have no idea who would make decals for it since it would most likely have to be a one off decal sheet.  Only thing I've noticed that could make it more realistic is those front wheels which I assume are from one of the old MPC super stock vega race cars just don't resemble the real deal cragar super tricks or centerline auto drags, they're just too wide for front runners.  I've come across a couple aftermarket resin companies that make a great super trick and centerline skinny front runner.  I bought a set from futur attraction but competition resin also makes some that look the same, maybe the same tooling? not sure.  

Hey, thanks Kevin.  The decals came from The Glory Years Decals and Graphics (eBay).  Yeah, those aftermarket super tricks are much nicer.  I'll have to get some of those for future projects.  I just pulled some out of the parts box.

• Like 1

Well, I think I am calling this one complete.  Spent my evenings this week getting it finished.  Here is a little sneak peak.  Finished photo's are in the Under Glass Drag Racing page.  Take a look and let me know what you think.

Complete4.jpeg.6774842322b5e49ec062ac5a42c600fe.jpeg

• Like 5

I Love this build for a couple of reasons. First : Your detailing is way above par. I'm sure that you really enjoy fabricating all of the cool parts and attempting to make everything as realistic as possible.

Second : That car was local to me. I would often see that car and other B&R sponsored cars at NY National when I was younger (much). B&R is still in business and operating as an auto parts store in Mineola Long Island!

Keep up the great work!

WF

2 hours ago, 6bblbird said:

I Love this build for a couple of reasons. First : Your detailing is way above par. I'm sure that you really enjoy fabricating all of the cool parts and attempting to make everything as realistic as possible.

Second : That car was local to me. I would often see that car and other B&R sponsored cars at NY National when I was younger (much). B&R is still in business and operating as an auto parts store in Mineola Long Island!

Keep up the great work!

WF

Thanks, that's really cool that you recognize the car.  Being from the midwest, I had never seen it before.