Model Cars Magazine Forum

67 Camaro B&R Performance C/SM

Nitro330

image.png.43c8c3a3fbc43e43cdbf5237be6ac29a.png

This is my newest project.  Just wanted to do a simple "old school" drag car from the 70's.  Got the decals first and then picked up the AMT 67 Camaro.  I don't have a lot of reference for this car, so this is not going to be an exact replica, I am just going to wing it and do it how I want to.  Here is a little snipet of an article on the start of the Super Modified class in the mid 70's.

"Back in the 1970s, long before any of the Super class racing existed, sportsman drag racers sought an affordable style of racing where they could race heads-up, with no breakout and do so on a pounds-per-cubic inch basis similar to their class racing. Their wants eventually led to the creation of Super Modified, the original 10.5 tire form of racing."

First thing I did was start working with the chassis to get the right stance.  (Thanks to Roger S. for the slicks!).  I had to enlarge the rear wheel openings and fabricate some shackles and brackets for the rear end.

With help from my wife and her Cricut machine, we cut some brackets and pieces to make the shackles to raise the rear end.

IMG_4073.jpg.6406005876d9b038e713830810cfb61e.jpg

IMG_4063.jpg.8a60fafbab537d075964b7b933a76321.jpg

I always hate kit shocks, so I made some from aluminum tubing. 

IMG_4066.jpg.837991a1018c798b18cc873d6b402d68.jpg

This gave it a decent stance.

IMG_3998.jpg.9c2dc696219f0eacbf7ac81461991385.jpg

I haven't had a lot of time to work on it, so I will post updates as I can.  I have mocked up the engine with some 3D parts and am working on the interior so hope to have those pics posted this week.

image.png

• Like 8

Early mock up of the engine.  3D printed parts in the picture are from VCG Resins (great products).  Had to get backdraft headers to clear the suspension without cutting everything up (they fit great)..  Will be adding a distributor and super coil from Morgan Automotive Detail.  There will need to be some scratchbuilding for alternator brackets, fuel rail and I'm sure other things.

image.jpeg.a3f91be24722dc934a0d7fbd2084e37c.jpeg

Also started cleaning up the body.  Had to remove the extra heavy line for the bottom trim.  This will be covered by decals so I need it nice and smooth.

IMG_4098.jpg.b7ee2950b1eba15ce5bfac6430e411a2.jpgIMG_4099.jpg.128a0236294a6197718792e2bcb7d407.jpg

Then removed the Wipers.

IMG_4100.jpg.e5f8e74f683d9f17e744d305bc3f2e4e.jpgIMG_4102.jpg.6db64ec2dde869cc5720703b44c70ac6.jpg

Hope to get the body in primer this weekend, but we shall see, I have been bouncing all around on this thing.  LOL.  Below pic is proof, switched gears and removed the back seat.

IMG_4092.jpg.c778f4bcf352bed9250da42e51b1794a.jpg

• Like 4

Couple small updates.  Mocked up what I have done on the chassis.  Added a drive shaft loop and lots of detail nuts/bolts (26 so far).  Nothing glued yet, still need to add the fuel pump/lines and break lines before I glue it together and then move to the front end.

IMG_4130.jpg.fda10d743d19abd029658a4b40b5a108.jpg

Also did some on the interior.  Made the roll cage and had to grind a lot off of the seats to get them to fit.  They still need a little more sanding, but look okay.  Trying to decide if they are going to be just black or have the white striping that was available in the RS/SS.  Not sure what the real car had, but I like the look with the white and it would add some interest to the interior. 

IMG_4131.jpg.cc13ccd82d3f8eb53376aed57cae5750.jpg1967-chevrolet-camaro-rs.jpg.8cfdcdbea5897bdfbbda836a3d09d0a0.jpg

Well, I was hoping to get the body sanded and in primer this weekend, but with the holidays, I didn't even get close to enough time for that.  Progress may be slow(er) for the next couple of weeks.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, R. Thorne said:

Lots of work and attention to detail.  You might consider moving the driveshaft loop up front behind the trans.  

By the rules, there should be two of them. Both six inches away from the U Joint. The spring hanger on the frame should be slightly in front of springs eye. The way it's mounted now, is backwards. The shackle should angle to the rear of the car, not to the front. It can actually flip over if it's angled to the front on a real car.

Edited by dwc43

39 minutes ago, dwc43 said:

By the rules, there should be two of them. Both six inches away from the U Joint. The spring hanger on the frame should be slightly in front of springs eye. The way it's mounted now, is backwards. The shackle should angle to the rear of the car, not to the front. It can actually flip over if it's angled to the front on a real car.

Thanks DW!  Yeah the mounts are flipped in the picture.  They’re not glued on.  Was rushing and just didn’t think when I was setting them in place.  The shackles are something I have been stressing about.  Built the bottom mounts based on the kit location, then realized later, with dropping the leaf spring down that they should come forward.  Will probably redo them.  What’s a build without having to change/redo things. LOL. 

12 minutes ago, Nitro330 said:

Thanks DW!  Yeah the mounts are flipped in the picture.  They’re not glued on.  Was rushing and just didn’t think when I was setting them in place.  The shackles are something I have been stressing about.  Built the bottom mounts based on the kit location, then realized later, with dropping the leaf spring down that they should come forward.  Will probably redo them.  What’s a build without having to change/redo things. LOL. 

More than welcome. I've seen it happen in real cars too. Too short a spring for the ride height and it requires either the right spring or a frame mount relocation. Dangerous to have it facing forward in the real thing. Sometimes I hate to mention things like that, don't want to make anyone mad, but I also know that many want it to look right. I'm not sure if I have built more models or more real cars at this point. lol 

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update.  Complete re-do of the rear suspension.  Actually had to use a new chassis from a second kit (guess that's why I have two of a lot of models, LOL).  For some reason the paint was lifting off of the original and requiring a purple bath.  I'll clean that up and build the second kit stock someday.  Anyway, got the shackles and shocks sorted out and redone.  Added an electric fuel pump and brake/fuel lines.  Will also be adding some old school Lakewood traction bars.

BRCamarorearchassis3.jpg.752a9418433eb52b468a8a718c81083d.jpg               BRCamarorearchassis2.jpg.a4e562a8033ca4523773ef246082e766.jpg

BRCamarorearchassis1.jpg.2a2ef40b005c708ddfc0000aee060e8b.jpg

Now on to the front suspension.  Below is what comes in the kit.  Plan is to make some springs/shocks.  Not going overboard on it, but just couldn't leave these.

BRCamarostockfrontsuspension.jpg.758d06dc6b8e4af2c6b3ee20ebb6be87.jpg

With Christmas this week and all I've got to do around the house for family coming over, I will probably not be getting much modeling done the rest of the week.

Merry Christmas everyone!  Hopefully Santa brings you some new kits or supplies.

image.png.39d3bdb9175a08085f792ce0a00a3307.png

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Happy New Year everyone!  I didn't get much done on the Camaro over the holidays, but have a couple of small updates.  I have been working on mocking up the engine and some misc. stuff.  Actually spent more time with another build I also have going on. 

As I mentioned previously, I couldn't leave the kit springs in front.  So I scratchbuilt the following.

image.jpeg.2cdd2def0673daceaabcfa6203e01da7.jpeg         Frontshocksinstalled.jpeg.60cfcb2b9ecce9465d188306e6532548.jpeg

Also, wanted to detail the transmission a little.  Pulled out the shift linkage piece from a Monogram NASCAR kit, but it was very clunky, so I decided to use part of it and add wire linkages.  Not real accurate, but just something to give a little visual detail.  Nobody will probably ever see them anyway, but couldn't stop myself from doing it, LOL. 

LinkageNASCAR.jpeg.8c94a82a375263b02e80d77201b8e4f3.jpeg       LinkageRedone.jpeg.7482e9027b0bf56e9d2ac05da6a22831.jpeg

I will be spending a lot of time now on finishing the interior, working on the engine and finally getting to the body.  With the weather we are having here, I might just stay in the basement all weekend!

• Like 5

On 12/20/2023 at 6:00 PM, Nitro330 said:

Quick update.  Complete re-do of the rear suspension.  Actually had to use a new chassis from a second kit (guess that's why I have two of a lot of models, LOL).  For some reason the paint was lifting off of the original and requiring a purple bath.  I'll clean that up and build the second kit stock someday.  Anyway, got the shackles and shocks sorted out and redone.  Added an electric fuel pump and brake/fuel lines.  Will also be adding some old school Lakewood traction bars.

BRCamarorearchassis3.jpg.752a9418433eb52b468a8a718c81083d.jpg               BRCamarorearchassis2.jpg.a4e562a8033ca4523773ef246082e766.jpg

BRCamarorearchassis1.jpg.2a2ef40b005c708ddfc0000aee060e8b.jpg

Now on to the front suspension.  Below is what comes in the kit.  Plan is to make some springs/shocks.  Not going overboard on it, but just couldn't leave these.

BRCamarostockfrontsuspension.jpg.758d06dc6b8e4af2c6b3ee20ebb6be87.jpg

With Christmas this week and all I've got to do around the house for family coming over, I will probably not be getting much modeling done the rest of the week.

Merry Christmas everyone!  Hopefully Santa brings you some new kits or supplies.

image.png.39d3bdb9175a08085f792ce0a00a3307.png

I know I'm late to the game, but your brake/fuel lines are killer! They look amazing!

3 hours ago, TransAmMike said:

WOW Terry, your detailing is fantastic.  Great work!!!!

5 hours ago, Rattlecan Dan said:

Doing a nice job. Great attention to the details. Betting on a great build.

19 hours ago, Straightliner59 said:

Really nice work with the front suspension!

Thanks Guys, appreciate the feedback!  Wish I had more time to work on it and provide more frequent updates.  Did get the Chevy orange on the block today so hopefully will get some progress on the engine in the next week or so.  

With a foot or more of snow outside, it was a good weekend to get some bench time.  I actually got the engine just about done.  Only parts original to the kit are the block, water pump and oil pan.  Struggled a bit with the alternator, but made a lower brace to hold it in place, it is very delicate, but should stay if my clumsy hands don't knock it off.  I've still got to look around the parts box for a flex fan.  

Camaroenginesidepasssideview.jpg.0b5be220003e602c7fb88b216a6797ea.jpg   Camaroenginefrontview.jpg.197c0b9fad19d17611f0e68d40c8b14c.jpg

Next up is finishing the interior, front end and then moving on to the body.  Still have several decisions as far as underhood detail and layout.

• Like 4