Model Cars Magazine Forum

Any chance we could see these in 2024-2025 it be nice to see the 71 road runner and 68-69 impala

robo37

I'm willing to bet that the Road Runner [sic] will be around soon-ish. There seems to be a 50/50 split between those who desire a 1971 and a 1972 - both are similar in 1:1 anyhow. 

I'd be keen on the Imps coming back as well. I don't have me finger on the pulse of the Chevrolet B-bodies' popularity, though those two would seem to be quite popular. 

1 hour ago, P51Mustang said:

Roadrunner - Yes, 71 or 72 would be great!

Also, Early-Mid 70's 2nd Gen Firebird/Formula/Trans Am would like to see being made.  (Similar in promo style to the recent 68 GTO kit, that would be fantastic!).

I would love a 76 Formula or SD Firebird with the two scoop hood. 

49 minutes ago, doorsovdoon said:

Didn't the '69 become the '70 when it was an annual? The current AMT Fire Chief Impala. Wouldn't take much to make it a '69 again.

New body, new hood, new front and back bumpers, new tail lights, new interior maybe? 

55 minutes ago, doorsovdoon said:

Didn't the '69 become the '70 when it was an annual? The current AMT Fire Chief Impala. Wouldn't take much to make it a '69 again.

If they did that, then we’d lose the ‘70.  I’d rather not lose anything these days.  If they could clone the ‘69 body, hood, bumpers and interior, I’d be all in for that.

Edited by mikos

16 hours ago, 1972coronet said:

I'd be keen on the Imps coming back as well. I don't have me finger on the pulse of the Chevrolet B-bodies' popularity, though those two would seem to be quite popular. 

The lowrider crowd would keep the supply small.

Just look at how hard it is to find one of the Revell Caddy lowrider kits.  , , and late '60s Impalas are much more popular with them then a late '70s Caddys ever were or will be.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mikos said:

If they did that, then we’d lose the ‘70.  I’d rather not lose anything these days.  If they could clone the ‘69 body, hood, bumpers and interior, I’d be all in for that.

I think it could still be done without loosing the '70. I don't know if it's the same in model car manufacturing but in 1-1 car manufacturing they use various plugs in the main mould to change certain trim levels of the same part.

The MPC kits are different than the AMTs. AMT's started with the '65 year which was completely different tooling with molded in front suspension and exhaust, and then they did a new tool for '67 that was updated up to the 1970 year (the current form reissued to this day). 

The MPC tool started in '65 and underwent cosmetic/body changes throughout the years. Unlike AMT, MPC did annuals up to 1976 with the Caprice being the last and the most recent form reissued today. 

I doubt they'd modify the 1990s tool '67 again since they had difficulties converting that to the 4 door "Baby' for Supernatural.

Edited by RickRollerLT1
  • Like 2

I would really like to see the 69 Impala reissued, I also could go for the 68 impala too.

Personally,  I’ve seen my fair share of Camaros, Firebirds, as well as mustangs although a good 79 or so Camaro I wouldn’t mind. I know that’s what sells in the marketplace.

I also would like to see a 67 Galaxie or a 66 Pontiac Bonneville or how about an early 60s Mercury full-size, those would be cool.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

The 68 is probably the toughest ask because the molds did become the 69... and the 69 did become the 70. I believe with the success of Round II we could see a project evolve, if they had the original mold specs. Any chance we could see these ...Wish granted 😆 Holy Grail kit.

The 71 Plymouth will likely be back in the future. It's more recent than the Impalas. I built this kit in 88 I believe... I remember it being a pretty easy build. I liked it. I'd build it again. 

2021-08-28-19-37-38-831.jpg

2021-08-28-19-37-50-453.jpg

2021-08-28-19-38-03-712.jpg

• Like 2

Should Round 2 choose to eventually reissue (or freshly clone) their '71 GTX/Road Runner tool, this is one way you could build it.  This one used the 1987 yellow plastic reissue of the original kit, with the added 1/1 mid-year canopy vinyl roof and kitbashed wheels/tires replicating the (then) hi-buck aftermarket BFG Radial T/As on the optional 15"x7" Rallye wheels.  Paint was MCW 1970 1/2 and 1971 Sassy Grass Green single stage (rubbed out and polished, without clearcoat).    IIRC the painted dual racing mirrors came from a different Mopar kit that had a more realistic rendition of those parts.   

image.png.a45955c4490af7f897be871a01583cb9.png

image.png.5561810d2bf16924cafc07bddc2b1469.png

Would certainly be nice if we got a chance to build these again from fresh kit releases, either in 1971 and/or 1972 replica form....TB 

Edited by tim boyd
  • Like 4

10 hours ago, zaina said:

I offer the 68 impala in 3d printed kit form. I can do it in a 2door, 4door and wagon. Also have the 68 belair and caprice available. So if this kit never gets reissued then this would be one option. 

IMG_0971.jpeg

IMG_0968.jpeg

IMG_0648.jpeg

IMG_0645.jpeg

IMG_0576.jpeg

IMG_0572.jpeg

IMG_0397.jpeg

IMG_0394.jpeg

4 dr version would make a great Dark Winds Navajo Police car...