Model Cars Magazine Forum

Big Al 2 - Jim Lytles Allison powered 34 Ford Tudor

alan barton

Truth be known I started this project several decades ago, not long after the AMT 34 Tudor came out.  At the time I was very unhappy with the progress of my chop so it was put aside.  From time to time I reworked it a bit more but it went back in the box each time.  

Earlier this week I started to look at it again and dug out my original references.  Acclaimed Calgary modeller, Vern Sholtz built a replica of this car about thirty years ago but it was sent to a contest and never returned, a great shame considering the calibre of Vern's work.  He gave me copies of his reference material and since then I have found two more magazines and a thread on the H.A.M.B. that provide more information.  Although this car is very famous it was not around for long so there is not an endless supply of photos of it, especially in colour. My intention is to build it as accurately as possible but make educated guesses on the items that cannot be discerned from available photographs. 

The first photo is about where I left it a few years ago.  Yes, it is a ridiculous chop!  That's how it was.  I had thought the rear of the driver's compartment was opened through the roof but realised that was incorrect so that has now been corrected. The stock hood sides were removed and replaced with new smooth sides made from flat styrene. The original car had a one piece lift off fibreglass body, the very first one in drag racing and I will be replicating that a feature.  The door hinges and the firewall have to be removed as well. One change I would make if I was starting the car today would be to use the fender unit from an AMT 34 5 window coupe.  This is because the fenders are closer to the correct stock appearance than the skinny ones in the Tudor kit but I'm not going back now!

Cheers

Alan

UQGP7295.JPG

IMG_8230.JPG

SKHO3336.JPG

• Like 4

So after about a week of evenings it is starting to take shape.  The roof contours are a lot more refined now.  I glued a strip of Evergreen round rod onto the sides of the roof to begin reconstructing the roof gutter mouldings. I also cut the entire floor out of the 34 chassis as the original car used 34 Ford frame rails but with drastically narrowed crossmembers. There are three holes in the rear pan that need to be filled also.

IMG_9076.JPG

IMG_9078.JPG

IMG_9079.JPG

IMG_9080.JPG

• Like 4

In between lots of puttying, sanding and priming I have been working on the frame.  The AMT Parts Pack Allison will obviously become the powerplant.  Thanks to Ace Garage Guy's comments I have removed the reduction box from the rear of the engine. I have also removed the frame horns in front of the crossmember and added small triangular shaped pieces of styrene to form up engine mounts for the Allison. The original car employed a humongous 14inch diameter by 17 inch klong torque tube to try and control the torque steer of this monster. After hinting in vain through my scraps box, my wife unearthed a Guterman's plastic thread spool that scaled out perfectly, right down to having a flange on one end! This was cut to size and fitted to the rear axle - I later removed it because it will be easier to glue it squarely to the engine if that is done first. I have also started to construct the very crude roll cage that Jim used to protect himself. As best I can tell from photos the front legs were joined to some sort of strong firewall rather than directly to the frame as you would expect - that will be tonight's job!

Cheers

Alan

IMG_9116.JPG

IMG_9117.JPG

IMG_9139.JPG

• Like 5

A very cool project.

I had previously only known about Jim Lytle's Quad Al, his four Allision powered Fiat.

Your postings prompted me to do a quick search which led me to an interesting article on the Motor Trend web site complete with some history and pictures of this truly innovative car. 

cheers, Graham 

• 4 weeks later...

No I hadn't but thanks, it is very helpful.  Sadly my elderly father is in hospital on his last legs so progress on this model has halted for a while.  Thanks to all who have showed an interest so far.

Cheers

Alan

First off, I wish you the best with your father. When my Dad was dying there was so much I wanted to know and sadly much of that I still don't know. 

I look forward to seeing this model built as I've got a resin body that should really be built. That can wait. Time with your family will pass too quickly.

• 2 weeks later...

Great work on the body! I've got a resin version of this already chopped lurking somewhere in the "Hobby Room". I've also rat-holed away several Allison engines, probably enough to build this and the quad motored Fiat. I just can't see tying up that many of those engines in one model.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/16/2024 at 11:54 AM, styromaniac said:

Great subject. Dont ever recall seeing a scale rendition. 

QA good friend of mine, Vern Scholz from Calgary Alberta, build a ripper many years ago but sadly it was stolen at a contest and its whereabouts are unknown.  Like all of Vern's work it was a thing of beauty with exquisite detail.

Have made a bit of progress recently and got colour on the other day - unfortunately there was some bodywork on the rear tank cover that simply wasn't good enough so that is getting corrected now.

Cheers

Alan

IMG_9440[1].JPG

• Like 6

• 1 month later...
On 2/5/2024 at 5:26 AM, alan barton said:

Have made a bit of progress recently and got colour on the other day - unfortunately there was some bodywork on the rear tank cover that simply wasn't good enough so that is getting corrected now.

Cheers

Alan

IMG_9440[1].JPG

Looks great, did I miss what color and paint you used? 

Nice job.

gplus-557457304.jpg.4b03bb64aa968038cb315f6e39fc05f3.jpgYou've done a real cool job on this 34 I'd like to see what it looks like finished that's going to be a showstopper. If you didn't know that was the very first one piece fiberglass body ever built the first one was a steal bodied one I have known about Jim since the 61 I read about him in Hot rod magazine here's what they wrote. See photos gplus-1622165992.jpg.332db50299d89d24b62bd69acff99278.jpggplus-557457304.jpg.4b03bb64aa968038cb315f6e39fc05f3.jpg

Edited by Stanward VonDiederichs
Top set of photos we're not supposed to be there

9 minutes ago, Stanward VonDiederichs said:

gplus-557457304.jpg.4b03bb64aa968038cb315f6e39fc05f3.jpgYou've done a real cool job on this 34 I'd like to see what it looks like finished that's going to be a showstopper. If you didn't know that was the very first one piece fiberglass body ever built the first one was a steal bodied one I have known about Jim since the 61 I read about him in Hot rod magazine here's what they wrote. See photos sorry for the mess upgplus-557457304.jpg.4b03bb64aa968038cb315f6e39fc05f3.jpg

Sorry for the mess up sometimes the finger messes up

Thanks everyone.  Have been a bit distracted lately but did get some colour on the chassis yesterday which revealed some flaws that I should have noticed so a bit of sanding and repainting before I have something to show.

On 3/28/2024 at 11:01 AM, Stanward VonDiederichs said:

gplus-557457304.jpg.4b03bb64aa968038cb315f6e39fc05f3.jpgYou've done a real cool job on this 34 I'd like to see what it looks like finished that's going to be a showstopper. If you didn't know that was the very first one piece fiberglass body ever built the first one was a steal bodied one I have known about Jim since the 61 I read about him in Hot rod magazine here's what they wrote. See photos gplus-1622165992.jpg.332db50299d89d24b62bd69acff99278.jpggplus-557457304.jpg.4b03bb64aa968038cb315f6e39fc05f3.jpg

Stan, I am aware of th4 car but haven't looked at the photos in ages. I recently purchased a Drag City Castings chopped 32 window so you never know!  Would be very cool to have on the shelf.

On 3/24/2024 at 11:15 AM, SpeedShift said:

Looks great, did I miss what color and paint you used? 

Nice job.

Tamiya TS 51 Racing Blue. I suspect it is darker than the original car but there are so few colour photos of it, it is difficult to tell.  The original body that Jim restored for the GArlits museum is also darker than the photos I have.  Plus, I like the colour and I doubt whether anyone in Perth Western Australia ever saw the car to be able to tell me I am wrong!!!

Cheers

Alan

• Like 1

2 hours ago, alan barton said:

Thanks everyone.  Have been a bit distracted lately but did get some colour on the chassis yesterday which revealed some flaws that I should have noticed so a bit of sanding and repainting before I have something to show.

Stan, I am aware of th4 car but haven't looked at the photos in ages. I recently purchased a Drag City Castings chopped 32 window so you never know!  Would be very cool to have on the shelf.

Tamiya TS 51 Racing Blue. I suspect it is darker than the original car but there are so few colour photos of it, it is difficult to tell.  The original body that Jim restored for the GArlits museum is also darker than the photos I have.  Plus, I like the colour and I doubt whether anyone in Perth Western Australia ever saw the car to be able to tell me I am wrong!!!

Cheers

Alan

The color I remember it being is about the same color as the Stone, Woods and Cook car a light dark powder blue metallic it's an old '60s color.