Model Cars Magazine Forum

1973 G20 BEAUVILLE SPORT VAN (window version)

Hi All.

New to the site but not new to model cars.  Been doing it my whole life.   Belong to the Winnipeg Model Car Club.  Thought i would walk you thru the build of my 73 Beauville Window van.   Its quite an undertaking!

Im starting out with a 70's Nirvana kit.    I found over the years that this chevy van gets released as a slab-sided shaggin wagon(or the A-team), but never has it been done as a stone stock Beauville passenger van.     Yes, i am aware that the first ever release of this kit did include a camper with an option to install side windows, but after looking at one of those expensive original kits,  i found the slabs for the side windows to be horribly simple and not realistic,  so i am glad im going this route.

Starting with careful measurments and cutting out 6 windows.  Adding evergreen 1/2 round frames.  also using evergreen strips for the roof ribs,  a proper rain gutter, taillight trim, and better enhancing the front windshield trim.   Did i mention how horribly inaccurate these old MPC van kits are!!!!

20230114_141206.jpg

20230114_173308.jpg

• Like 2

Moving on to the interior details.  I have a clear vision of how i want this van to look.  Here is what i am going for based on original GM brochures.

I want this model to have a 350, TH350 Automatic with Air Conditioning.  Here i am making all the A/C vents and controls on the dash from scratch.  i also modified the ashtray to be in the proper place.  and updated the knobs and the heat controls to represent a 73 van dash rather than the 1971 kit form.

The rear seats are from the parts bin, lucky i had 2 the same,  the button tufting will be removed later.  armrest and a more accurate resin th350 replaces the wierdly shaped kit transmission

1971chevy_sportvan_01.jpg

20230118_091153.jpg

20230118_091251.jpg

• Like 3

Here are the seats,  i tried resin casting them but too many pinholes so i sanded off all the button tufting and made my own patterns using evergreen strips.  i bent up some plastic tubing and scratch built a set of armrests.  the front seats are custom built by cutting up a parts box one and resin casting a pair.

Stay tuned for more later!    And thanks for looking.

20230202_201444.jpg

• Like 3

Here is the engine detailing started.  I swapped out the valve covers for some better ones, and scratch built all the pulleys and belts for the A/C and the power steering. minimal wiring as it will mostly be hidden under the floor.  i used a fireball carb and have made a better steering column(added a lever to represent a tilt wheel.  and made all the PRNDL indicator.  the little white parts are scratch built front armrests

20230202_202117.jpg

• Like 4

The interior mostly finished.  a made separate interior panes that will glue into place.  all made with evergreen strips.  i foiled them and custom made some tartan uphoustry pattern decals in Photoshop then printed them on decal paper.   i also did a correct guage cluster in photoshop too.

Here we also see the body now painted using PPG OMNI automotive single stage urethane.  just like the real ones!

20230215_221950.jpg

20230215_222026.jpg

• Like 3

More engine detailing,  added a steering box and steering column and rag joint and hoses,  also added a heater box and blower motor.  None of these details are in the kit.

The body and interior are coming together.  note i decided to make things difficult and 2-tone the body.   Flocked carpet, seatbelts and photoshop GM buckles

20230227_190658.jpg

20230227_201633.jpg

• Like 3

This was a massive project in itself.  the kit has the most horrible version of a truck dogdish i have ever seen.  So i decided to turn one out of aluminum on a metal lathe.  I added some raised areas seen in black and then cast them with the Amazing white resin.   Painted them with Molotow sprayed out of an airbrush.

The decals for the centers were done in Photoshop and sized acordingly to fit the resin castings.  I printed Blue Bowties, Ochre Bowties, and GMC versions for future projects.  The wheels and tires are Fireball 15"  70's era truck bias Ply,  they look awesome!

20231219_214639.jpg

20231219_214610.jpg

• Like 5

Thanks for all the positive comments!!!  I hope my build inspires you to built a better MPC van kit,  its got a fairly crisp and well proportioned body lines, but the rest of the parts sure need work!  HA!

Here is some of the bottom.  I made up a set of vintage Alberta Canada mudflaps,  these things were on just about every farm Pickup in the 1970's.  The trailer hitch is scratchbuilt from evergreen square stock.

I updated the diff with a nice 12 bolt cover, and scratchbuilt the shock from tubing along with new mounting points,  all the kit stuff i junk!

The exhaust is modified a fair bit to make it fit right and the front and rear tires have been relocated to fit the wheel wells properly,  again a detail the kit really lacks.

20230629_145445.jpg

20230702_085622.jpg

• Like 2

I painted the grill and front bumper with the new revell chrome,  sprayed straight out of the can.   very good results,  but you still have to be careful handling.

The outside mirrors are from the kit, but i added a thin framework around the glass for a more realistic look,  also sprayed the revell.  Ignore the white headlights in this photo as my Microscale is still drying!

Also note my decals i made in photoshop for the side marker lights,  BEAUVILLE Sportvan 20, and the CHEVROLET rear door emblem.  

I also have my new scratchbuilt door handles in place in this pic.

20230629_145505.jpg

• Like 6