Model Cars Magazine Forum

My Two Meager Builds For 2023

oldcarfan

It's been a year of changes what with semi-retiring, and health issues. I did manage to get a workspace built, and found most of my modeling supplies and got them stowed away. Considering this was the hottest summer on record here in Texas, going out to the shop was all too often out of the question, even with the A/C going.

Most of my shop time went to actually building the workspace. Then I got distracted by finding and shelving the unbuilt model kits I'd packed away after the last two moves. Oh, and I found six big boxes of unbuilt kits in my in-laws attic that I forgot I had. Anyway, here are the kits I managed to build this year. 

The first was Revell's Honda Civic kit which I built without the body kit. That kit didn't feel like it should be either Fast or Furious. The only real change was to add a set of custom wheels that weren't quite as low profile as the kit offerings. It's a nice kit that could use a reissue with more stock parts!

The second completion was one of Monogram's old Porsche 911 Carrera kits. This kit is a curbside, low detail kit, but it allowed me a chance to let my imagination free to convert it to a Safari version featuring some scratch-built parts and some tires from an old Ford Ranger kit. This is a simple kit but I loved building them as a kid and had several.

Finally, I came across an old ESCI Countach kit that I bought a long time ago. It's not a good kit, it made me think of some of AMT's old bad 70s kits.  Still, I finished it in Cannonball style with the wings and driving lights.

aaaahobbyroom1.jpg

aaaahobbyroom2.jpg

aaaaHondaCivicBuiltSideView.jpg

aaaaHondaCivicRearSideView.jpg

aaaaPorscheSafariSide.jpg

aaaaPorscheSafariRear.jpg

aaaacountachfront.jpg

aaaacountachrear.jpg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Nosferatu said:

Very nice!

I love the Porsche SUV! I have never seen one.

Dave

Several companies have popped up that convert old 911s and 944s into safari style cars. They are a fun model project to work on. I googled Porsche Safari and all sorts of cool ideas came up. https://www.motortrend.com/features/1808-luftauto002-the-safari-porsche-911/

6 hours ago, Phildaupho said:
20 hours ago, bbowser said:

Well done.  Here's to better health in the new year!

Thanks for the best wishes! I hope for better health, getting stronger every day. I found out that three heat strokes in a week are not healthy. It took a lot of tests for the docs to decide it wasn't a heart attack, but I still came out of it shaky even in moderate heat. At the same time, my dad was in the end stages of Alzheimer's and lost his fight last week. Here's to a better new year for all of us!

20 hours ago, ismaelg said:

Nice trio. Having a proper workspace is an investment.  I see some cool projects in that stash.

That's not all of them, but the rest are still being dug out of storage. I've been collecting more than building for several years. I used to haunt HL on their clearance days, so I also have a pretty big collection of American kits, but my interests for a while have gone towards Japanese and Euro cars.