Model Cars Magazine Forum

2024 Cannonball Run Restomods Build Thread

White Rabbit

Wow! Page Two already... OK... well, I don't want to be late to the party... so I'll go on and post my entry now. I'm building the Revell/Monogram 86 Monte Carlo Super Sport. It was my initial choice for the Radwood theme if it would've been chosen.

Apon thinking it over I concluded that this subject would best suit the Restomod theme anyways, so I just stuck with it. My plan has changed in the sense that it will be a factory stock restoration with as many "Bolt on" aftermarket parts, bringing up to the modern era. LS powered, 20's/22's, possible cowl hood etc... That should do it. 

Now, I should note that with me  nothing comes without drama these days. When I opened the kit to examine all the contents I found that the decal sheet was double printed with the 68 Cobra jet decals.

Maybe it's the Universe telling me to build a Mustang? 😆 I've never seen this before but I'll need replacement decals and I may go with Ray's Kts decals. At 30 bucks a hit that's pretty costly but they are very detailed and would add alot of detail to an otherwise mundane kit.

I like the boxart on this one but I have a favorite combination on these SS Monte Carlos. I'll make a decision but I think pearl white would look nice. 

By definition Restomods are Restored cars with aftermarket upgrades bolted on. In true fashion of this year's theme, I may just throw the world at this build  to embody the meaning of Restomod in scale. We do Restomod builds with model kits more often than we realize. Otherwise we'd just build the contents of the box only and I rarely do that.

https://rayskits.com/product/1987chevroletmontecarloss/

81+dW-qEExL.jpg

20231228_195939.jpg

20231228_193948.jpg

s-l960-9.webp

s-l960-10.webp

sddefault-2.jpg

Screenshot_20231230_093549.jpg

s-l1200.jpg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, disconovaman said:

Wow! Page Two already... OK... well, I don't want to be late to the party... so I'll go on and post my entry now. I'm building the Revell/Monogram 86 Monte Carlo Super Sport. It was my initial choice for the Radwood theme if it would've been chosen.

Apon thinking it over I concluded that this subject would best suit the Restomod theme anyways, so I just stuck with it. My plan has changed in the sense that it will be a factory stock restoration with as many "Bolt on" aftermarket parts, bringing up to the modern era. LS powered, 20's/22's, possible cowl hood etc... That should do it. 

Now, I should note that with me  nothing comes without drama these days. When I opened the kit to examine all the contents I found that the decal sheet was double printed with the 68 Cobra jet decals.

Maybe it's the Universe telling me to build a Mustang? 😆 I've never seen this before but I'll need replacement decals and I may go with Ray's Kts decals. At 30 bucks a hit that's pretty costly but they are very detailed and would add alot of detail to an otherwise mundane kit.

I like the boxart on this one but I have a favorite combination on these SS Monte Carlos. I'll make a decision but I think pearl white would look nice. 

By definition Restomods are Restored cars with aftermarket upgrades bolted on. In true fashion of this year's theme, I may just throw the world at this build  to embody the meaning of Restomod in scale. We do Restomod builds with model kits more often than we realize. Otherwise we'd just build the contents of the box only and I rarely do that.

https://rayskits.com/product/1987chevroletmontecarloss/

81+dW-qEExL.jpg

20231228_195939.jpg

20231228_193948.jpg

s-l960-9.webp

s-l960-10.webp

sddefault-2.jpg

Screenshot_20231230_093549.jpg

s-l1200.jpg

That's pretty crazy about the decals.   Never seen that before. 

Cool project though.   Looking forward to watching you bring it to life. 

• Like 1

I’m in.  I’ve never done a group build before, so I’m really looking forward to this.  I’ve signed up for another one on a different site also, so hopefully I’m not getting in over my head.  But I’ll have eleven months to figure that out.

My pick-  If you’re going on a cross country road trip, what better car than the family station wagon?  Lots of space to stretch out, maybe even take a nap in the back, room for spare parts, etc.  But my dad was a hot rodder, so the old family truckster might have a few tricks up its sleeve.

I’m going with the Revell ‘66 Chevelle Station Wagon kit.  I don’t have all the details ironed out yet, but it’ll most likely be getting some aftermarket wheels, different seats, and a new cowl hood.  

See you all on the starting line!

IMG_3623.jpeg

IMG_3624.jpeg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, atomicholiday said:

I’m in.  I’ve never done a group build before, so I’m really looking forward to this.  I’ve signed up for another one on a different site also, so hopefully I’m not getting in over my head.  But I’ll have eleven months to figure that out.

My pick-  If you’re going on a cross country road trip, what better car than the family station wagon?  Lots of space to stretch out, maybe even take a nap in the back, room for spare parts, etc.  But my dad was a hot rodder, so the old family truckster might have a few tricks up its sleeve.

I’m going with the Revell ‘66 Chevelle Station Wagon kit.  I don’t have all the details ironed out yet, but it’ll most likely be getting some aftermarket wheels, different seats, and a new cowl hood.  

See you all on the starting line!

IMG_3623.jpeg

IMG_3624.jpeg

The AMT 67 Impala street machine has a really nice fuel injection setup for big block Chevy engines. There's also big block EFI in the AMT 68 El Camino street machine and AMT 70 Chevelle. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fat Brian said:

The AMT 67 Impala street machine has a really nice fuel injection setup for big block Chevy engines. There's also big block EFI in the AMT 68 El Camino street machine and AMT 70 Chevelle. 

Funny you should mention that ‘67 Impala.  I almost picked that kit for this.

And thanks for the suggestion of the efi setup.  Pretty sure I have the ‘70 Chevelle.  I was hoping to do something like that anyway.  That’s perfect.👍 

16 minutes ago, MeatMan said:

Hey Pat, that was actually my second choice in the stash!

Not sure it's the best choice. Headlights are going to be hard to make them fit good, the rear bumper is way to narrow. Interior is not good , front sears are the wrong year. And the chassis pan has to go. Definitely going to be a challenge to make it look good. 

22 minutes ago, Pat Minarick said:

Not sure it's the best choice. Headlights are going to be hard to make them fit good, the rear bumper is way to narrow. Interior is not good , front sears are the wrong year. And the chassis pan has to go. Definitely going to be a challenge to make it look good. 

Yeah, that's why it was my second choice! 😉

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Pat Minarick said:

Not sure it's the best choice

I have the 66 GTO Revell kit first issued in 98 so it's fairly modern tooling. It's really well done... it's been reissued a few times most recently in 2017. This kit doesn't seem to get the attention it deserves. I haven't built it yet but it looks like a quality kit. It seems to be one of the forgotten kits from Revell... Maybe it's on their radar to bring back? 

• Like 1

As Anthony said, we're on page 2 already with 13 entries!

Updated Entry List:

1. 1990 Ford Mustang (Fat Brian)
  2. 1974 Plymouth GTX (Lunajammer)
  3. VW Golf MK2 (stitchdup)
  4. 1975 AMC Gremlin (Tim08)
  5. Nissan 240ZG (Spottedlaurel)
  6. 1957 Ford Fairlane (MeatMan)
  7. 1965 Buick Riveira (Keef)
  8. 1990 Ford Mustang LX (53gmc)
  9. 1967 Pontiac GTO (Pat Minarick)
  10. 1966 Ford Mustang (beans) pending
  11. 1986 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS (Disconovaman)
  12. 1998 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 (Westrods)
  13. 1966 Chevrolet Chevelle Wagon (atomicholiday)
Edited by White Rabbit

14 hours ago, atomicholiday said:

I’m going with the Revell ‘66 Chevelle Station Wagon kit...........

I built that one back in 2020, went together really nicely. Easy to lower it.

Only thing I din't quite get right on mine was the alignment of the hood trim, above the grille. Use a glue that gives you time to position it properly.

• Like 1

The GTO is on it way,  A 64 Chevelle gave up its chassis engine compartment an interior pan. The rear seat and 67 Chevelle front seat will get new inserts and will have to scratch build the door panels. I cut the headlight buckets and grill off the bumper. Glued the headlight buckets inplace and sanded the fenders to fit them. I'll have to grab another kit for the bumper and the rear bumper will need widened. 20240101_034650.thumb.jpg.d1ac0168fc6fe631a59494ee6d40b5f0.jpg20240101_034707.jpg.065d819b7bc241df92a8d130b1c76e68.jpg20240101_034712.jpg.446002f7fa0a594c008ca21284388010.jpg20240101_034746.thumb.jpg.dd3e0c5de68ffd2fe71ea417936cbd59.jpg20240101_034806.thumb.jpg.ce9ddf312f70eca3bf44afaa2dc635aa.jpg

• Like 4

Marked my chassis for the necessary cuts and realized that there won't be a whole lot left of the floorpan afterwards.
Adding a pic of my "junkyard" engine. Checked the compression and oil pressure and all looks good. Six speed tranny came with it but will necessitate cutting the tranny tunnel out.
On to the cutting!

IMG_20240101_100727619.jpg

IMG_20240101_094314094.jpg

IMG_20231229_165440706.jpg

Edited by MeatMan
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Fat Brian said:

I like the cowl hood or not.

I like both... I would say finish both of them and swap between the two. I put that body kit on a project I have going too. It's fits pretty well. Nice detail!

6 hours ago, Pat Minarick said:

cut the headlight buckets and grill off the bumper

Probably the best thing to do to the grill on that kit. These kits get a bad rap but there's small things you can do to improve it. It make a huge difference. Rock on!

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, disconovaman said:

I like both... I would say finish both of them and swap between the two. I put that body kit on a project I have going too. It's fits pretty well. Nice detail!

That's what I was thinking too, paint both and see how it looks when it's more complete.

My first order of business is to examine the contents of my build. I wouldn't say I'm disappointed but there are things I'll have to correct. The abnormal mold line in the top being one thing.

I'm really happy to see the Tampo glass in some of the older kits. Nice Job from Revell to simplify some steps, these were always a PITB to paint when I was younger. Early start but I still have to gather my aftermarket parts to make this build over the top. I'll be using 21/22 Z Mags. These will make it more Factory Modern. 

20240101_105322.jpg

20240101_104543.jpg

20240101_105110.jpg

s-l1200-2.webp

• Like 2

On 12/30/2023 at 1:48 PM, Fat Brian said:

On 12/30/2023 at 4:09 PM, atomicholiday said:

Funny you should mention that ‘67 Impala.  I almost picked that kit for this.

And thanks for the suggestion of the efi setup.  Pretty sure I have the ‘70 Chevelle.  I was hoping to do something like that anyway.  That’s perfect.👍 

Hey guys, a fuel injection unit is pretty easy to make from an old tunnel ram manifold. 

Just use the bottom 1/2 with a plate of some kind on top, add an old carb as a throttle body and add injectors and fuel runner made from pieces of wire. Instant "fuel injection" unit.

I've done this a couple times.

image.png.76a34379bf3303d028edf3a5eaaa429d.png

image.png.60168dc23b86dc33199742100a6fc39e.png

image.png.77deddeec2a5cdc92bfa36c9dd19d2dc.png

• Like 5