Model Cars Magazine Forum

1962 GMC crew cab "railroad truck"

This is the last project started by my good friend Harry before he passed 10 years ago. When Harry came across an article about a 1962 Crew Cab GMC pickup, he could not resist building a model of that vehicle. The story of this truck is very interesting. Back in the day railway companies made a request to GMC for trucks that could carry a crew of six to the worksite -hence the name crew cabs. GMC supplied all the mechanicals and most of the body panels but the conversions were done by independent companies. A guy in California decided to order one of these crew cabs for private use to take his whole family on holidays with a camper on back. He able to order some options like chrome trim and a big back window. When it was restored by a subsequent owner it was lowered with air bags.

GMC1.jpg.ed872c25d18f6d225ea6900232b3b120.jpgGMC2.jpg.a1c91494eb3e0436b25e834aff796290.jpg

It appears Harry was wanting to build a replica of the car he had a photo of but I am guessing he was not aware of information now available online. For instance, Harry may not have noticed the big back window in the photo he had as the small back window survives on his model. Another anomaly is the inline 6-cylinder in Harry’s engine compartment. The real car had a 305 V-6 – an engine I had no prior knowledge of until researching this project.

For more info on the 1/1 truck check out –

This 1962 GMC Crew Cab Is The Only One Of Its Kind. But It’s Not A Custom. (motortrend.com)

I am at odds whether this model should be completed or kept as a moment in time with the parts Harry had acquired and modified. I was able to temporarily assemble most of Harry’s parts with masking tape and Silly-Putty. If it was left totally up to me, I might be tempted to slam it to the ground, add dually rear wheels and tires and a twin turbo big block under the hood.

2023-12-2014_24_42.thumb.jpg.b864b63b09468e8ca7543e70174b4c11.jpg2023-12-2014_25_15.thumb.jpg.81a89b1c50cd07f67ba5cd08c1c8efb6.jpg

• Like 2

Looks like most of the hard work has been done for the body conversion, only you know if it should be completed or left as is as a tribute to your friend. You mention the rear window in your description. I recently built the reissued AMT '59 Chevy C-10 and converted it to the optional larger rear window. The body relief molding on the back of the cab matches the shape of the optional window and after cutting out that area you would have an opening that would match the factory optional window treatment if that became the way you want to build it.  

On 1/6/2024 at 10:26 AM, Can-Con said:

Someone actually posted a video on Youtube that mentions that exact truck yesterday. It's at about 6:45 in the video.

On 1/6/2024 at 10:27 AM, espo said:

Looks like most of the hard work has been done for the body conversion, only you know if it should be completed or left as is as a tribute to your friend. You mention the rear window in your description. I recently built the reissued AMT '59 Chevy C-10 and converted it to the optional larger rear window. The body relief molding on the back of the cab matches the shape of the optional window and after cutting out that area you would have an opening that would match the factory optional window treatment if that became the way you want to build it.  

On 1/6/2024 at 9:13 PM, Bills72sj said:

Cool project. I would keep the wheels and tires but go for the big back window as mentioned by David. I imagine your friend would make the change if he learned of it.

Yes I definitely prefer the look of the big back window

On 1/7/2024 at 10:01 AM, leafsprings said:

GMC hubcaps were never made, but similar caps were used on 61-'63 AMT Chevy pickups. Rookie Resin once offered an excellent 305 V6.

Thanks guys. It looks like Rookie Resin has closed but from the looks of it a 305 V6 could be fabricated by shortening a 348 or 409 and modifying the valve covers ??

1 hour ago, Phildaupho said:

Thanks guys. It looks like Rookie Resin has closed but from the looks of it a 305 V6 could be fabricated by shortening a 348 or 409 and modifying the valve covers ??

Not easily.  The 305 is much narrower and has a taller, deep skirted block - nothing in common with the Chevy V8s other than a passing resemblance in the valve covers...  might as well start from scratch.  I might get around to drawing one, because I need another (already used a Rookie Resin one).

Hmmmmm. Dually…. slammed…. big block with twin turbos…. I don’t need to tell you what I’d do Phil! Having said that, if I were in your shoes, it is not an easy decision. I’m sure Harry would be smiling either way.

If up to me, I would finish it and build it as stock (not low rider), just like Harry intended.  In his memory (and also because I'm not a big fan of the slammed looks in general).  If this really is one of the first "crew cabs" then the model would also have automotive historical value.

Edited by peteski
  • Like 1