Model Cars Magazine Forum

Plastic surgery for a '41 Plymouth

customline

I can not understand why AMT didn't give this elderly mopup a full floor. Maybe they figured because the cowl vent wouldn't open they needed to have a way for fresh air to enter the cabin. I dunno 🥴, but it looks stupid so I figured I would at least try to close it up.

By the way, it seems it was not the tyranny that was keeping the tub from bottoming out on the chassis. First it was the inner fender panels. Having trimmed those, I thought it was the tyranny so I flattened the top of it but to no avail.  It turned out to be some raised circles on each corner; remnants of the injection process, apparently. The tub settled down after I shaved them off (first photo- circled).

To close up the bi-lateraI abysses, I used .015 evergreen glued to the top of the chassis.  It will be painted black to match.  A builder could improve on this idea but, frankly, I'm done. I think y'all know how I feel about this kit by now. Thanks for your understanding 😪

IMG_5515.jpg.543146de9028c2fa9f46e625a05d4594.jpgIMG_5516.jpg.c06c3f8610438436d7c315b53978078c.jpgIMG_5517.thumb.jpg.a1d67f292689db81653445169551a039.jpg

• Like 1

Nice I should do that to my mpc 67 vette that I'm working on but... whatever. Yours makes a world of difference it is 10 times worse on the 41 plymouth than the 67 vette to. Good job

Thanks, Jim. I didn't intend it that way. Just an account of my stumbling through model building. This is not to be construed as any sort of "how to", just the incoherent rants of an old glue sniffer. 🤪

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, customline said:

Thanks, Jim. I didn't intend it that way. Just an account of my stumbling through model building. This is not to be construed as any sort of "how to", just the incoherent rants of an old glue sniffer. 🤪

This is a "how to" pick the wrong kit to work on🤣

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, LennyB said:

This is a "how to" pick the wrong kit to work on🤣

...And keep on buying them ....go figure 🤔

Edit: and I will  be using all those coke bottles too 🤓

Edited by customline

Ok...almost there....had a little trouble getting the body to sit all the way down. Seemed like a typical dash/windshield thing. I dropped the dash down about 3/64" and that did the trick. I'm still playing with the rear splash pan. I glued it to the body twice now 😠.  I had to re-do the angle of the magnet on the hood nose because it was holding the rear of the hood up.  Working on battery cables, etc....the bumpers are now in place...oh, I attempted a wood grain job on the dash...🤣....anyway, yes....go ahead, but it's staying.  I gotta find a tutorial on you tube for that 🤔.  Thanks for looking and having a good laugh.

IMG_5532.thumb.jpg.6d41a6732f4f304289a70ff5e842bbed.jpgit looks like what those guys did to Christine 💩💩💩

IMG_5531.thumb.jpg.d1017f46bd1f4175695ab3ac556de182.jpg

IMG_5533.jpg

• Like 2

Ok...almost there....had a little trouble getting the body to sit all the way down. Seemed like a typical dash/windshield thing. I dropped the dash down about 3/64" and that did the trick. I'm still playing with the rear splash pan. I glued it to the body twice now 😠.  I had to re-do the angle of the magnet on the hood nose because it was holding the rear of the hood up.  Working on battery cables, etc....the bumpers are now in place...oh, I attempted a wood grain job on the dash...🤣....anyway, yes....go ahead, but it's staying.  I gotta find a tutorial on you tube for that 🤔.  Thanks for looking and having a good laugh.

IMG_5532.thumb.jpg.6d41a6732f4f304289a70ff5e842bbed.jpgit looks like what those guys did to Christine 💩💩💩

IMG_5531.thumb.jpg.d1017f46bd1f4175695ab3ac556de182.jpg

• Like 2

It looks like the paint turned out nicely Jim. The interior looks pretty good too.

You expressed some interest in getting information on creating a woodgrain effect. I have a little information I can share.

For these I started with a base of TS-46 Tamiya Light Sand, I then used thin washes of Tamiya Flat Earth and NATO Brown acrylics letting them pool a bit here and there.

62_Rolls_38.jpg.380b8d1cd41b5137a73f0b5a3ba75d20.jpg

For the dash I started with the same technique but before the Flat Earth and NATO brown washes I drew some light thin lines and patches with black, brown and red Sharpies... very sparingly!  I then used rubbing alcohol on cotton swabs to thin and soften the Sharpie lines and patches blending them a bit. After that dried, I followed up with some very thin washes of NATO Brown Flat Earth and black acrylics.

Very thin, very light. Subtlety is the key.

Once all that dried, a nice coat of Tamiya sprayed from a can gave it all a nice shine.

62_Rolls_51.jpg.89b49f56723274a11af47619c2439626.jpg

It took me quite a few failures to be able to get good results. I even messed up the service trays the first time around and what you're seeing is my second attempt for those.

62_Rolls_52.jpg.e4848bd827c0ad568e80b0e7d1a31bf0.jpg

I hope you find these unsolicited pointers helpful Jim.

Of course, if you have any questions, please feel free to ask.

David G.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, NOBLNG said:

It’s looking good Jim!👍😎

I'm glad you think so, Greg! 🤓....I am so done with this 😪.  On a lighter note, I have several days of dry, warm weather in my immediate future and an untested, brand new Iwata waiting patiently for my enthusiasm to reach a high enough level to motivate me to take it for a spin! And no medical appointments! 😀

• Like 1

3 hours ago, David G. said:

It looks like the paint turned out nicely Jim. The interior looks pretty good too.

You expressed some interest in getting information on creating a woodgrain effect. I have a little information I can share.

For these I started with a base of TS-46 Tamiya Light Sand, I then used thin washes of Tamiya Flat Earth and NATO Brown acrylics letting them pool a bit here and there.

62_Rolls_38.jpg.380b8d1cd41b5137a73f0b5a3ba75d20.jpg

For the dash I started with the same technique but before the Flat Earth and NATO brown washes I drew some light thin lines and patches with black, brown and red Sharpies... very sparingly!  I then used rubbing alcohol on cotton swabs to thin and soften the Sharpie lines and patches blending them a bit. After that dried, I followed up with some very thin washes of NATO Brown Flat Earth and black acrylics.

Very thin, very light. Subtlety is the key.

Once all that dried, a nice coat of Tamiya sprayed from a can gave it all a nice shine.

62_Rolls_51.jpg.89b49f56723274a11af47619c2439626.jpg

It took me quite a few failures to be able to get good results. I even messed up the service trays the first time around and what you're seeing is my second attempt for those.

62_Rolls_52.jpg.e4848bd827c0ad568e80b0e7d1a31bf0.jpg

I hope you find these unsolicited pointers helpful Jim.

Of course, if you have any questions, please feel free to ask.

David G.

Thanks. David, that looks like some super nice woodieness! 😉  Seriously, though, I appreciate the info. If there's a next time, I will refer to this post.

There's all different manifestations of wood grain. faking the faux wood grain on a pre-war car is way different than the burl walnut on a Jaguar. I can do neither. It's a skill I just don't have time to develop. The next time I attempt a wood grain effect it will be on the AMT '41 Ford. I've done it one time before, on the Revell Merc, and it turned out pretty well but there wasn't much to it. Thankfully, the decals did the heavy lifting. Some brown smudges and wavy lines on tan and then orange-tinted clear did the trick on the trim pieces. That's about as deep as I want to get.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, LennyB said:

Be glad  you didn't pick a woody and have to woodgrain the whole back of the car😵

OH SHUT UP!  That's what decals are for, Lenny! (see above)

Edited by customline
Emphasis added
  • Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/8/2024 at 8:20 PM, customline said:

I can not understand why AMT didn't give this elderly mopup a full floor. Maybe they figured because the cowl vent wouldn't open they needed to have a way for fresh air to enter the cabin. I dunno 🥴, but it looks stupid so I figured I would at least try to close it up.

By the way, it seems it was not the tyranny that was keeping the tub from bottoming out on the chassis. First it was the inner fender panels. Having trimmed those, I thought it was the tyranny so I flattened the top of it but to no avail.  It turned out to be some raised circles on each corner; remnants of the injection process, apparently. The tub settled down after I shaved them off (first photo- circled).

To close up the bi-lateraI abysses, I used .015 evergreen glued to the top of the chassis.  It will be painted black to match.  A builder could improve on this idea but, frankly, I'm done. I think y'all know how I feel about this kit by now. Thanks for your understanding 😪

IMG_5515.jpg.543146de9028c2fa9f46e625a05d4594.jpgIMG_5516.jpg.c06c3f8610438436d7c315b53978078c.jpgIMG_5517.thumb.jpg.a1d67f292689db81653445169551a039.jpg

*Tranny (see highlighted text in yellow in the quote.

But yes, poor fit and design can is in and of itself somewhat tyrannical.

Charlie Larkin

7 hours ago, charlie8575 said:

*Tranny (see highlighted text in yellow in the quote.

But yes, poor fit and design can is in and of itself somewhat tyrannical.

Charlie Larkin

OK, yeah..... my over-active spell checker, itself, is tyrannical.  When I have bloviated for several paragraphs, I proof-read several times before hitting the "submit"  button and when im sure I have it all straight and just before I hit the button, my spell checker re-writes it all. Very frustrating 😕. If I didn't need it so badly I would shut it off. 😒 

Thanks, Charlie, for dragging this up. 🙄

On 3/29/2024 at 8:01 AM, customline said:

OK, yeah..... my over-active spell checker, itself, is tyrannical.  When I have bloviated for several paragraphs, I proof-read several times before hitting the "submit"  button and when im sure I have it all straight and just before I hit the button, my spell checker re-writes it all. Very frustrating 😕. If I didn't need it so badly I would shut it off. 😒 

Thanks, Charlie, for dragging this up. 🙄

I didn't mean to upset you, Jim. I actually found the whole thing rather amusing, and I had hoped that would be apparent in my response.

That said, you've learned why a good friend of mine calls auto-correct "auto-corrupt."

Charlie Larkin

5 hours ago, charlie8575 said:

I didn't mean to upset you, Jim. I actually found the whole thing rather amusing, and I had hoped that would be apparent in my response.

That said, you've learned why a good friend of mine calls auto-correct "auto-corrupt."

Charlie Larkin

OK, Charlie.....I was not upset. I was trying to be funny. It is a fact, though, that I sometimes don't come across as funny. I thought I used the proper emojis but maybe I should use more. I don't know. Posting emojis, for some reason unbeknownst to me, is a problem for my tablet's word processor. 🙃 it has its own 💡 ideas and often doesn't approve of mine. And sometimes I'm a little cranky because of it. But it's not you, Charlie. We are 😎 cool.