Model Cars Magazine Forum

1969 Bobby Isaac's Dodge Charger Daytona

gami8630

This car is a Dodge Charger Daytona, one of four "Aero Warriors" NASCAR stock cars sponsored by K&K Insurance and driven by Bobby Isaac.

I built JO-HAN's "Plymouth Superbird" over 40 years ago, but this is my first Dodge Charger Daytona.

This time, body is a '69 Dodge Charger DAYTONA 2in1 from REVELL's PRO MODELER kit, but the chassis and engine are DODGE CHARGER from POLAR LIGHTS.

Body was modified by filling the turn signal lamps and the fuel caps on the upper rear deck with putty, shaping the front and rear wheel openings, adding race-spec fuel filler ports, fuel overflow pipes, catch pins, and front spoiler.

Note that the roll cage, rear shock support, wheels, etc. are from the FORD TORINO TARADEGA from POLAR LIGHTS, and the fire extinguisher, shifter, etc. are from my stock parts.

Engine is basically box stock with 426 Hemi bathtub intake manifold detailing and plug cords added.
Tires are MPC "BLUE STREAK STOCK CAR SPECIAL".

Body color is Tamiya Spray TS-31 Bright Orange and decals are Powerslide.

Details were not finished very beautifully, but I think I was able to create a certain atmosphere.

The last image shows it side by side with JO-HAN's Plymouth Superbird, which was built probably 40 years ago.

charger-daytona_01.jpg

charger-daytona_02.jpg

charger-daytona_03.jpg

charger-daytona_04.jpg

charger-daytona_05.jpg

charger-daytona_06.jpg

charger-daytona_07.jpg

charger-daytona_08.jpg

charger-daytona_09.jpg

charger-daytona_10.jpg

Edited by gami8630
  • Like 13

6 hours ago, Chris in Berwyn said:

Very, very nice!  How much modification was needed to use the Polar Lights chassis under that body?

Polar Lights' chassis was assembled with almost perfect fit in both overall length and width.
The shape of the wheel arches did not match the position of the tires slightly, but since they were enlarged and shaped to accommodate the racing tires, this was not a problem.
Polar Lights' Ford Torino roll cage fits nicely when aligned with the crossmember at the rear of the chassis, so cut and fixed the front of the cage to match the front firewall.
The rear bulkhead was cut from a plastic plate to match the shape of the inside of the body.

Your build looks great. It takes a lot to be able to build one of these Dodge Wing cars. I just finished mine last year and have some more to do but took a break from them to try and finish up some other builds I had started. Thanks for sharing. By the way the Petty Superbird looks great as well.

Thanks, Pierre, jjsipes.

It was surprisingly difficult to find information on the Internet about the details of the actual car that Bobby Isaac drove from 1969 to 1970, so we tried to make the chassis, cockpit, etc. "just like that".

Thanks, drodg, PappyD340, Michael F, Toys4Don2.

Even though it looks beautiful in the photo, there are still many compromises to be made in the details of the actual product.
I would like to further upgrade the next kit I make.

• 3 weeks later...