Model Cars Magazine Forum

For those who missed it....'30A Gasser inspired by the 1/1 scale Harry Luzader's 1/1 scale '32 5WC...

tim boyd

This post is expressly for those who do not read Model Cars magazine, which of course is published by our hosts here at the Forum.   If you are a regular reader or subscriber, you've already seen much of what is below and can go onto other posts here on the forum.  But for the rest of you....

Issue #222 includes a six page how-to feature on a 1930 Model A Full Fendered C/G build project that was heavily inspired by the 1/1 scale Harry Luzader '32 Ford Gasser that was a perennial winner at the drags throughout most of the 1960s.  The article also includes instructions on how to add fenders to the fenderless Revell 1930 Model A Five Window Coupe hot rod kit in a pretty easy way (though not with the kit source you might expect).  

As this is written issue #222 has been available for about two months and is soon to be superseded by issue #223.  If you would like to see the details of this build, may I humbly suggest you get ahold of that issue soon, either at your local hobby store, from your favorite on-line model car source, or at this link at Spotlight Hobbies.    https://www.spotlighthobbies.com/all-products/media/23385/model-cars-magazine-issue-222/

When preparing an article like this, a writer will take many extra pictures that do not end up in the actual published article.  First the writer will edit it down to a smaller number, and then the magazine's Editor and Editorial Staff will edit the pictures further to fit the available article and magazine cover space.  In this case, it took most of six pages to show all the build steps, leaving space for only four photos (including a small cover image) of the completed model in the published article.  Accordingly, copied below are some of the many "outtakes" (photos not used in the final publication).   

You can also read more details about the project, about some of the areas I might have done a little differently had I had more time to complete the model, and some expert feedback from some of our forum's most respected drag racing experts, at this link:   

Enjoy this pix below, and again, if the subject is of further interest, be sure to check out the magazine article while it is still available.  Best....TIM 

image.png.eacc2d20bfed4569451e70bdcdcb5428.png

The two key parts sources for this project: 

image.png.5164522b3f1a79254276225d61ba6454.png

All the kits (including the two posted above) used in this project...

image.png.e18eeb0ecf9982af546308bc153c30b4.png

image.png.df838dfc95ae9c6526aeb297395247a5.png

image.png.e2847ac45cfe3a477a1332c67220a0cd.png

image.png.0c00920117632145edf2894ccc7128a7.png

image.png.12ef1628a410e1d4b02f1b98258df4eb.png

DSC_0936.thumb.JPG.2f61c107f30f5bcb2b0225e215d308f5.JPG

DSC_0894.thumb.JPG.399046b8ffe5a10a403f173bdb4cae18.JPG

PS:  here's the magazine cover to look for...

image.png.2af3f820533452822f308cbcf4586081.png

Edited by tim boyd
  • Like 7

22 minutes ago, milo1303s said:

Beautiful build but non of those kit have those front tires Where are the from ?

Thanks Bob (and all of you who commented on the project). 

The front tires came from my parts box but my best guess is that they were the Pirellis that were originally found in the Revell "Skippers Critter" kit first released in 1966, and in all the various Revell Miss Deal Stude funny car kith produced over the years.  I don't have the new Atlantis kit based on the Miss Deal tool, so I can't say if the tires in that kit are the same as the prior Miss Deal kit offerings.......TB 

• tim boyd changed the title to For those who missed it....'30A Gasser inspired by the 1/1 scale Harry Luzader's 1/1 scale '32 5WC...
On 2/7/2024 at 11:39 PM, Ace-Garageguy said:

Great looking model. Lotsa work, and worth it.  :D

Thanks Bill...appreciated your vote of confidence! 

In some ways I wish I had taken the time to fix some of the issues....the incorrect dropped front axle....lack of a scattershield....the grille shell mounted too low....a wish to use the early Airheart discs up front...the not completely perfect paint, and some other items as noted in the build thread on this model.  But on the other hand it is finished (and I got to it to Tim K. for the article at the agreed time).

I pretty much always struggle with the tradeoff between perfect but never finished projects vs. Imperfect but finished model projects.  I tend to go the latter route, but with some regrets.  Thx for the comments...TB 

Edited by tim boyd
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...