Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hello from Connecticut.....

Wow. I've just spent days roaming around here and I'm amazed I haven't found you all before now.

I've been building models since I was a little kid. Aviation, armer but then not too many cars. I left model building about the age of 15 when I discovered real cars. I have always been fascinated by auto racing. When I was about 9-10 years old in the 60's, I had my first visit to Lime Rock Park and it's been down hill ever since.

In the 80's, I got my competition license and raced Formula Fords on a limited shoe string budget. I was surrounded in the paddock by beautiful Ferraris and Porsches and realized I will never be able to afford those but if went to the hobby shop I could have a GT40 for about $12.00.

Back then there was little or no aftermarket decals, no photo-etch, no resin cast race parts, I did everything with press-type and Bondo. I still have the first ever race car model I built then, Revell GT40 with my own hand made markings.

P1010001-1.jpg

Over the years I've collected almost every one of the UMi, Teapot Graphics and Fisher race car resin they ever produced all now waiting patiently to see the light of day.

I build 1/24-25 scale. I finish them post race with rubber and grime.

thumbnail_-_2023-03-19T182131.087_gUeoXU P1010022-2.jpg P1010084-3.jpg P1010082-3.jpg P1010072-2.jpg P2010006.jpg P2010004.jpg P1010063-1.jpg P1010081-2.jpg P1010081.jpg P1010103.jpg

I build "curb-side" as working hoods to show engines always seem to break after a while.

Looking forward to sharing future builds with you all.

Thanks all for the warm welcome.

As I'm sure has happened to many of you, after I spent hours bending solder for headers, tubing for exhaust pipes and complete roll cages, hand lettering decals and markings, resin casting my own wheels and tires, I find I am directly responsible for complete kits being issued soon after my completions.

P1010020-2.jpg P1010071-1.jpg P1010083-1.jpg P1010086.jpg etc.,etc....

And this is the main reason we still do not have this classic Peter Gregg Porsche in kit form yet, I haven't finished it....

P1010089-1.jpg

10543, I'm 17 minutes from Lime Rock, I'm there often.

Sadly so many hobby shops are now just RC centers but the best one stop shop I know of I listed below, check their hours. good luck

HQ Hobbies

394 New Haven Ave, Suite #1

Milford, CT 06460 (United States of America)

Phone#:  +1 (203) 882-1979

Email: hqhobbies@gmail.com

• 4 weeks later...

Allan, that seems like a long ride from the Lime Rock area to Milford for you but next time I'm up there I will check that store out.  Looks like about a 50 minute ride up 95 for me.   If you're ever down near Mahopac, NY be sure to check Gallimods Hobby Shop.

• 3 weeks later...