Model Cars Magazine Forum

Will we be seeing the AWB F-85 Olds Cutlass drag kit this year?

Since the chassis in the Olds was shared with the Chevelle, at the very least you'll have to wait until demand for the Chevelle tapers off.  I don't see that happening anytime soon...

3 hours ago, Mark said:

Since the chassis in the Olds was shared with the Chevelle, at the very least you'll have to wait until demand for the Chevelle tapers off.  I don't see that happening anytime soon...

If the parts are all coming together, I guess it’s all a matter of time…

I’m also waiting for the AMT ‘65 and ‘68 GTO hardtop kits to come with engines and optional parts to become full car kits…

71qIs52kbbL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

718NPBd7w7L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Edited by blizzy63

9 hours ago, blizzy63 said:

If the parts are all coming together, I guess it’s all a matter of time…

I’m also waiting for the AMT ‘65 and ‘68 GTO hardtop kits to come with engines and optional parts to become full car kits…

Given that the kits were produced by recreating old promos, you're most likely looking at reincarnation - perhaps more than once - before you ever see either of them as "full car kits".

20 hours ago, blizzy63 said:

Regarding the 65 GTO, why wait? The many times reissued annual kit has everything you need to make the new tool 65 complete.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GMP440 said:

Looks like this topic went a different direction.

It may appear that your subject was hijacked,  but the point that I was making was that Round2 has created these opportunities, they need to complete them.

(Case in point was their AMT ‘63 Nova station wagon Craftsman Plus curbside soon became the ‘63 Nova wagon full kit with engine. They need to continue this trend.)

713sc14eoiL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

71mkXx6gUxL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Edited by blizzy63
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Dave Darby said:

Regarding the 65 GTO, why wait? The many times reissued annual kit has everything you need to make the new tool 65 complete.

I’ve been fully aware that that’s the case. I have an AMT ‘65 GTO convertible kit standing by to be raided for parts.

The point is that Round2 should be doing this for us.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, blizzy63 said:

It may appear that your subject was hijacked,  but the point that I was making was that Round2 has created these opportunities, they need to complete them.

(Case in point was their AMT ‘63 Nova station wagon Craftsman Plus curbside soon became the ‘63 Nova wagon full kit with engine. They need to continue this trend.)

Probably better to have this in it's own topic.

• Like 1

On 2/13/2024 at 3:24 PM, blizzy63 said:

I’ve been fully aware that that’s the case. I have an AMT ‘65 GTO convertible kit standing by to be raided for parts.

The point is that Round2 should be doing this for us.

Should be, I can see that argument. But the Nova Wagon was re-imagined from the full kit from the beginning and then was released as both a curbside and full kit because that's how the original was done in '63. The two GTOS were re-imagined from Promos that were surprisingly found in a box with some other leftovers from the 90s. So as they stand they are what they are, re-tooled unassembled promos. It would be up to Round2 to decide if they want to invest in finding original unbuilt versions of those two kits and then go back in and cut tooling for all of those pieces.

Edited by niteowl7710
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Since no one has answered the question - it struck me when I last spoke to Steve G. that the F85 was in the "queue before the queue" - a known opportunity, but needed logistics sorted out. 

The FC-modified body was clearly visible in the 'hangar shot' of the kit from the pre-merger days.  It's ready to go, assuming some sort of budget to chase the project.  

Seems like an easy lay-up from here. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Ragtop Man said:

Since no one has answered the question - it struck me when I last spoke to Steve G. that the F85 was in the "queue before the queue" - a known opportunity, but needed logistics sorted out. 

The FC-modified body was clearly visible in the 'hangar shot' of the kit from the pre-merger days.  It's ready to go, assuming some sort of budget to chase the project.  

Seems like an easy lay-up from here. 

I remember that pic of the hangar shot with the funny car modified body.  I beleive we will see this one sooner than expected considering that this kit has been highly requested.  Hopefully Steve G gets the green light to go on this one.  By the way, thanks for helping to keep this topic on track.

Agreed; the Streaker should be/could be an easy lay-up. Awhile back, I screencapped HPI Guy's parts reviews of both the convertible and 442 hardtop kits, and IIRC, 99% of the specialized parts needed for the Streaker are included in either the convertible, the 442 hardtop, and for some parts, either kit.

Pop out the hanger AWB body, and grab a chassis from one of AMT's other AWB kits (Edsel, Mustang, Nova, Chevelle, Tempest, Falcon, Cyclone, etc.), and booyah.

For everyone's convenience, attached is the comparo I'd made originally in the summer of 2023.

The only thing I wonder is, did the convertible and 442 not sell well-enough to justify putting this one out?

streaker_olds_001a.jpg.5d2b4493475725cd2cd67b4795b4843d.jpg.561dae4676658341b8fd063357db72a1.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

While I'd love to see this kit, I'm not sure it's as easy a layup as we may perceive. The way I understand it, to build the Streaker the way it was originally you need parts from 2 kits, the 64 Olds for the engine and all the body parts. Then you need the chassis and all associated parts from the recently released 65 Chevelle AWB kit. So Round2 essentially has to run 2 full kits to sell one. Definitely something that could be done, but only if it makes financial sense. 

However I am no expert, so I could be wrong.

• Like 2

I made my own with a rat packer chassis and the olds when it came out, not quite right but it looked so rad I had to do it. I would buy a new round2 one if it was released 

Edited by Hondamatic
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, Stef said:

Agreed; the Streaker should be/could be an easy lay-up. Awhile back, I screencapped HPI Guy's parts reviews of both the convertible and 442 hardtop kits, and IIRC, 99% of the specialized parts needed for the Streaker are included in either the convertible, the 442 hardtop, and for some parts, either kit.

Pop out the hanger AWB body, and grab a chassis from one of AMT's other AWB kits (Edsel, Mustang, Nova, Chevelle, Tempest, Falcon, Cyclone, etc.), and booyah.

For everyone's convenience, attached is the comparo I'd made originally in the summer of 2023.

The only thing I wonder is, did the convertible and 442 not sell well-enough to justify putting this one out?

streaker_olds_001a.jpg.5d2b4493475725cd2cd67b4795b4843d.jpg.561dae4676658341b8fd063357db72a1.jpg

Yeah the stock convertible is a pretty plain looking car, I have one lying around and have no idea how I would build it 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hondamatic said:

Yeah the stock convertible is a pretty plain looking car, I have one lying around and have no idea how I would build it 

It is a little plain, but it looks fairly good built with a little color.

64 Cutlass.jpg

• Like 2

Guys....there are few things 100%vcertain in this hobby, and this one is like the rest.  However, if you study Round 2's current business model of developing multiple offerings off each new tooling investment, I think it is reasonable assumption that the Streaker AWB kit is likely to return to the hobby shelves at some point in the future.  Key question (from my POV) is when that might be.  If I had to guess, I'd forecast late this year or early next year, but as always, time will tell if the kit returns, and if so, when.   TB

Edited by tim boyd
  • Like 2

Hmmmmmmm...after seeing Stef's post, it looks to me like the only thing you can't buy off the shelf already is the altered wheelbase body.

Yeah, you have to buy a few kits and do some bodywork, so save your lunch money and develop a couple new skills.  

Only thing I can't get on board with is "they should do it for us".

OK...like why? How big is the market, really, for an AWB Olds convertible?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Only thing I can't get on board with is "they should do it for us".

OK...like why? How big is the market, really, for an AWB Olds convertible?

Well, seeing how well the Chevelle Funny Car did, I don't think there will be a lack of want for the Olds. 

There are lots of us who have a few missing pieces in the collections, and having the ability to fill it with a kit we can save and build, is pretty appealing. 

• Like 2