Model Cars Magazine Forum

Cheaper alternative to Molotow chrome markers

I came across this video a few days ago and thought some of you would find it interesting.  The markers are from a company called Zoet, and the reviewer in the video seems to think they're oil-based, as opposed to being an ink like the Molotows.

I will say this is not the greatest "proof" video, but ff to 3:18 and go from there.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfaS2ewI_FU&t=5s

Knowing this group, the first question will be how will it react to a clear coat, and I don't have that answer.  They come in a 3-pack (+/- $10.00) with .7, 1 and 3mm tips. (See video link).

Edited by Monty

• Monty changed the title to Cheaper alternative to Molotow chrome markers
2 hours ago, Chariots of Fire said:

I just ordered a set from Amazon prime.  Will be here on Thursday.  Will let you know how they come out.

I look forward to learning what you think of them as your opinion is highly respected on this board.  As I mentioned initially, the video only gives a few good glimpses of them being used, so any larger pictures and assessments you can provide would be greatly appreciated.  

Edited by Monty

I've been using a knock-off brand of chrome pens by a company called Flysea, getting them on Amazon for about $12 for a set of 3.  They seem to dry quicker and be a little less touch sensitive than Molotow, plus MUCH cheaper.  The sides of the bumpers on my 1959 Cadillac I posted recently were done with them.  I still tend to do the chrome parts early on in the build and let them dry as long as possible just because.

I bought some of the Zoet chrome pens that the original poster mentioned to see how they worked. Here is my unprofessional analysis (Note: I am not a scientist or an expert on this stuff!).

• It is VERY shiny!
  • It does lose its shine and smudge a bit when rubbed very aggressively with your finger. Please note that you have to rub very hard and multiple times to degrade it, so it might be able to stand up to normal handling.
  • It is a little darker than Bare Metal Foil
  • I was surprised to see that Testor's silver and the Chrome Pen are actually very similar.
  • Tamiya TS-13 clear did cause it to lose its shine. It also causes Testor's silver to lose its shine.

Overall, I was pleased with the results, but I would definitely use it only after clear has been applied to the model.

My primary uses for it will probably be to touch up chrome parts where the sprue had been attached, fill in any gaps I might have on areas that were foiled, and to apply chrome the vent windows on 50's and 60's vehicles ( i find it very difficult to foil these areas well). I am sure I will find other places to use these, too.

I was surprised at how well Testor's Silver compared to it. I think I had always put Testor's silver on before the clear coats were applied which definitely dulled it down. I may now try using Testor's after the clear coats are on to see how that looks and how that holds up to handling.

Thanks,

Bart

Here are the photos of my results. I found that it is hard to get good pictures that duplicate what you see in person and show how shiny this stuff is.

01.JPG.29a9973c0b5c620e33e86e3d8b06f535.JPG

02.JPG.6a44e6a6a5cd296e20265318f6b6e0d0.JPG

03.JPG.ce90aaf8f5e812a47a5e4ba4f95064f6.JPG

04.JPG.a5ed3c20280f6e51e0d9218a15e3cc6a.JPG

05.JPG.5cb6b2c918bdf48745f30a38c764759b.JPG

05a.JPG.b2f624333bb2f35f9ad1357eba19ac84.JPG

06.JPG.f7107e9968c069116a91d124c18aab53.JPG

07.JPG.1f7bf60e26e170659591c82c0b3cc603.JPG

08.JPG

• Thanks 1

Problem to me with Testors silver (which has been available for probably 50 years) is that it never seems to fully dry.  Plus it is nowhere as "chromey" as the kit's "chromed" parts, or even BMF.  It is satisfactory to touch up small flaws in kit's "chrome", but I would not use it to paint a while bumper.  But we all have different standards.

15 minutes ago, peteski said:

Problem to me with Testors silver (which has been available for probably 50 years) is that it never seems to fully dry.  Plus it is nowhere as "chromey" as the kit's "chromed" parts, or even BMF.  It is satisfactory to touch up small flaws in kit's "chrome", but I would not use it to paint a while bumper.  But we all have different standards.

I totally agree! When I would use Testor's Silver for something, it would usually be for exterior door handles and key holes, interior trim and window handles, chrome trim around windows, and other small details.  I also agree that it takes a long time to totally dry, if ever. It's just one of the tools in my arsenal and I use it where it seems appropriate. The chrome pens may end up getting used in place of Testor's silver sometimes since it seems to dry pretty well.

Bart