Model Cars Magazine Forum

Bathtub Buggy Build Finished!

Farmboy

Finished up the George Barris Bathtub Buggy.  Started out as a glue bomb I swapped a kit for with a friend of mine.  I went my merry way with this, adding detail I thought maybe should have been there and changed a few things that just looked like they needed changing. There are plenty of mods added to the build, only a couple of pre-planned details were forgotten or simply left off.  The shower spray diffuser heads were the only two aftermarket auto parts used in the detailing of this model simply because I had them on hand...and they fit.  The buggy build isn't perfect, but as my wife says...it's cute. 

.AGkOoF9.jpg

eY40O2z.jpg

RfO1xQT.jpg

xExtQ1Q.jpg

VAaqUFO.jpg

oFCB9jU.jpg

'Comments and observations welcome.

Edited by Farmboy
  • Like 10

I really enjoyed following your work on this in the WIP thread. 

You've made more of this kit than was ever intended Mike! It's got to be the best version of this kit ever rendered.

Excellent work!

David G.

Thanks much for the comments and kudos everybody.  This is one showrod I really wanted for quite a while.  Just got lucky I found one.  Glad it turned out ok.

Edited by Farmboy

a couple of more pictures I missed.  The step is made from a ribbon clamp, chrome.  A closer though slightly out of focus view of the header ends, and a view of the accelerator with scratchbuilt spring return.

LkneXVD.jpg

just in case the previous photos were too dark...

PAEC0DT.jpg

AuByNuH.jpg

Comments and observations welcome.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thank you all for the comments everybody.

Bill, some of the detailing was simply adding a radiator so the upper rad hose wasn't just hanging in the air anymore. lol.  

Keith, If memory serves it was last reissued in 2009. Not a very detailed kit so it's wide open for mods.

Emre, always nice when a kit turns out.  My pleasure to post the build, hope you enjoyed.

Hey Kenneth

I knew a man back in the early 80's, Herman Lamm.  I would produce a half hour radio show with him called "the netherlands call".  he ran a travel agency.  I just don't see the name very much is why I mention it.  You must have the Eldon model of a dual bathtub show rod.  Barris claimed it as his, but he actually bought it from the guy who designed it....I think.  Many thanks for the kudos.  Keep an eye out at swap meets, garage sales, ebay for the bathtub buggy....one is bound to pop up.

Amazing stuff Mike. I would imagine a very 'busy' model to look at built out of the box; but you still managed to to add even more to it! 

So after this you're now a qualified plumber?

Edited by Yeah Nah

Garry, I never really thought of the model as a whole, but treated each section (sink/pedals/tub/boudoir etc.) as a separate build, adding the odd detail.  Believe me, after making 32 aluminum headers and scratching the fuel system on 4 Buick engines for Ivo's Showboat one tends to compartmentalize one's thinking lol!  As for plumbing, to my great sorrow, styrene and a  butane torch do not get along well.  You needn't ask how I gained this nugget of wisdom.  Thanks for the kind words. ☺️

On 2/16/2024 at 5:41 AM, Farmboy said:

Finished up the George Barris Bathtub Buggy.  Started out as a glue bomb I swapped a kit for with a friend of mine.  I went my merry way with this, adding detail I thought maybe should have been there and changed a few things that just looked like they needed changing. There are plenty of mods added to the build, only a couple of pre-planned details were forgotten or simply left off.  The shower spray diffuser heads were the only two aftermarket auto parts used in the detailing of this model simply because I had them on hand...and they fit.  The buggy build isn't perfect, but as my wife says...it's cute. 

.AGkOoF9.jpg

eY40O2z.jpg

RfO1xQT.jpg

xExtQ1Q.jpg

VAaqUFO.jpg

oFCB9jU.jpg

'Comments and observations welcome.

Awesome job! A work of art IMHO.