Model Cars Magazine Forum

1937 Chevy convertible: 1/32, old Pyro model, BOX STOCK???

ismaelg

Hello,

Here is something unusual. I recently got a 1/32 scale 1937 Chevy.  It is the Life-Like kit from the early 70's which is a re-issue of the Pyro kit released in 1963.
2v2eGi4f5xJ21ND.jpg

I was disappointed when I saw how crude the kit is. Multi piece body, no chrome, molded tires, no details. Very crude and basic.
2v2eGi4BrxJ21ND.jpg

It is really not worth trying to improve on it. I mean, there are better  '37 Chevy kits out there in other scales.
So I had 2 options: Put it back into darkness, probably forever, or do something fun. How about a BOX STOCK stress-reliever non-serious build?
Yeah, I can hear you laughing.
I first thought of putting it together just glued without paint. But I can't get that far.  Instead, this will be an exercise in the basics of surface prep and paint in between some more serious projects like the Talbot and others.

2v2eGi46jxJ21ND.jpg

2v2eGi4t8xJ21ND.jpg

I added 2 strips of bracing to keep the body tight against the fenders while gluing. I was going to remove them but it seems the don't interfere with anything so most likely will stay there.
2v2eG4fK8xJ21ND.jpg

Glued all body parts (hood, both sides and deck lid).  Started to blend the body joints.
2v2eG4f1MxJ21ND.jpg

2v2eG4fcoxJ21ND.jpg

And here we are now.
2v2eGmURExJ21ND.jpg

2v2eGmUsHxJ21ND.jpg

This may pop out every once in a while while working on other projects.

Thanks,
Ismael

This is so neat, these were the only kits I could afford back then, those AMT kits came on birthdays and Christmas. I think there’s one in my stash just so I can look at it. 1/32 is the King of scales, and your doing a fantastic job on this 👍

Hello,

So, in accordance with Murphy's law, 3 seconds after laying the most perfect coat of the most challenging color (black), a STUPID mosquito crashes into it...
2v2enbCH8xJ21ND.jpg

2v2HUVzogxJ21ND.jpg

Thanks,
Ismael

Hello,

Everything is fine in Paintville. The offender was sanded off and leveled using Micromesh polishing pads. A good clean and another very light coat of paint was airbrushed. Since humidity is ultra high (any more and I'll grow gills), it dries a bit hazy. That's not an issue. At this stage I am looking for smoothness, not gloss. Still pending color sanding, clear coat and polishing. So there are still plenty of opportunities to screw it up  🤣

2v2encNHExJ21ND.jpg

Thanks,
Ismael

I have a large collection  ( built) of 1/32 scale kits so I am really impressed with your progress so far.  I did my 37 convertible as a taildragging mild custom and it looks pretty cool.  Really loving your paint!

Cheers

Alan

Hello,

Shifter is a bit thick for my liking, but I promised myself this would be a BOX STOCK build.
2v2enrYwaxJ21ND.jpg

2v2enrYfexJ21ND.jpg

Plastic 2 piece wheel/tire.  Can you tell which one is untouched and which one has a lot of work?  
2v2enrYAZxJ21ND.jpg

Thanks,
Ismael

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,

Remember this car was rear-ended by a low flying mosquito?

I think I can stop polishing the trunk now and move to the rest of the car. Don't you think?
2v2eqsWKyxJ21ND.jpg

2v2eqsW15xJ21ND.jpg

2v2eqsWbdxJ21ND.jpg

Thanks,

Ismael

Hello,

This was close to finish. What happened?  Well, this happened:
Mating the upper and lower bodies, a very distinctive "CRRRRACK!!!" broke the silence. 
After a few choice words (and trust me, Spanish is sooo cursing rich far better than English), I went into repair mode.

2v2eFUr7jxJ21ND.jpg

2v2eFUrR8xJ21ND.jpg

2v2eFUrsMxJ21ND.jpg

2v2eFUrPzxJ21ND.jpg

2v2eFUrkoxJ21ND.jpg

2v2eFUri2xJ21ND.jpg

2v2eFUrDixJ21ND.jpg

2v2eFUr4DxJ21ND.jpg

2v2eFUrm4xJ21ND.jpg

No, it is not perfect if you look close enough. The windshield frame also broke (already repaired) so this plastic does not like to be handled. 
Still need to get both parts permanently together.  If it survives then it has a chance to be finished.

Thanks,
Ismael