Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT 1941 Plymouth Coupe

NOBLNG

On 3/12/2024 at 7:14 PM, customline said:

As do I, Lenny. I was young and unenlightened about these things and made the mistake of using a fine wire wheel to clean them. Years later after having assembled the car (a P7 Biz coupe) and left it outside in the rainy New England weather, discovered they were rusting. I had to keep waxing them to keep the rust from forming. I still don't know exactly what they were made of but not all "stainless steel" is rust-proof or non-magnetic. They may have had a non-corrosive cladding that I unwittingly wire brushed through. 

Or some of them were aftermarket knock-offs. A lot of that was going around at the time. One of my favorites is old wheel covers. The knock-offs couldn't use the actual car names so they often simulated the letters with random blocks.

32 minutes ago, LennyB said:

Or some of them were aftermarket knock-offs. A lot of that was going around at the time. One of my favorites is old wheel covers. The knock-offs couldn't use the actual car names so they often simulated the letters with random blocks.

I don't think that was the case, Len. I took the grille trim off a 4 doorparts car that I bought for $25.00. It was an original car.  Pretty sure there weren't any aftermarket stuff for a 33 year old Plymouth at that time. I doubt if there's much out there now. 

33 minutes ago, customline said:

I don't think that was the case, Len. I took the grille trim off a 4 doorparts car that I bought for $25.00. It was an original car.  Pretty sure there weren't any aftermarket stuff for a 33 year old Plymouth at that time. I doubt if there's much out there now. 

You'll be amazed. When trying to get replacement taillights for my 39 P8 90% of what you find are aftermarket. Easy to tell as they don't have the Plymouth ship on them and are much flatter then OEM. Now I'm not talking about stuff that's still being made, I'm talking about NOS stuff. There was a lot of aftermarket stuff being made during WWII as people couldn't buy new cars and had to keep the old jalopy going.  My car came with door handles that had a pewter sheen to them. They were aftermarket. Polished metal coated with clear lacquer, OEM obviously were chrome. Took a lot of searching to find the right ones.

BTW: There is a 4-door parts car in a boneyard 10 miles from my house in case you want to relive those glory days 😃

1 hour ago, LennyB said:

You'll be amazed. When trying to get replacement taillights for my 39 P8 90% of what you find are aftermarket. Easy to tell as they don't have the Plymouth ship on them and are much flatter then OEM. Now I'm not talking about stuff that's still being made, I'm talking about NOS stuff. There was a lot of aftermarket stuff being made during WWII as people couldn't buy new cars and had to keep the old jalopy going.  My car came with door handles that had a pewter sheen to them. They were aftermarket. Polished metal coated with clear lacquer, OEM obviously were chrome. Took a lot of searching to find the right ones.

BTW: There is a 4-door parts car in a boneyard 10 miles from my house in case you want to relive those glory days 😃

Oh, if only I could. I don't even have pictures of that car. I think my ex-wife destroyed them. 

4 hours ago, LennyB said:

3 hours ago, customline said:

Ummm…maybe you fellas could PM each other?

I am still working on this one!🥵 The sprue goo I had really softened up the fenders and caused me some grief.😡 I mixed up some fine white Milliput to fix the drivers side fender. Then I noticed there were pin holes where the front piece meets the fenders, so I gouged that out and added some half round styrene for filler. I got that all relatively smooth then scribed the troughs for the .020” fender welting that I intend to add. And I finally got a first coat of primer on it.🥵IMG_1544.thumb.jpeg.ee4c8cc924667d96fc8e5f9918bc690c.jpeg  

IMG_1557.thumb.jpeg.3d63df23ae98aa79e3fed6deeb6abe7e.jpeg

IMG_1558.thumb.jpeg.fb6f65b041c1d16649d300257610ea83.jpeg

IMG_1559.jpeg.d20905047467e3a7759c4cfe94f035fb.jpeg

IMG_1569.thumb.jpeg.8e5dabdc47f802b51f8a4f787a4391fd.jpeg

IMG_1614.jpeg.c314af5edc060a73385ecc521fffb5a4.jpeg

IMG_1615.jpeg.32751acd8f6f5266e5d266aadfe1b146.jpeg

IMG_1616.thumb.jpeg.d48c2e53bce26a3017a1aaf5740526f3.jpeg

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, customline said:

Yes sir! Now you got it, Greg. Great fun, huh?  What kind of primer is that?  It's the color of "silly putty". 😯

The fun never ends!🥴 It’s Tamiya pink primer.

24 minutes ago, ModelcarJR said:

Wonderful work here, Greg! I looked through your WIP and you have a lot of patience and skill! Nice work! 😎👍

Thanks John.🙂

4 hours ago, David G. said:

It looks good Greg, nice and smooth.

Hopefully the solvent in the sprue goo has finished its work and will leave you in peace from this point foreword. 

David G.

4 hours ago, LennyB said:

Good progress Greg, these Plymouth's really put up a fight. 😆

3 hours ago, customline said:

Yes they do but we fight for the sport of it 🤤

3 hours ago, dino246gt said:

Wow, that's looking so much better now, great improvements!

Thanks Guys!🙂

I glued the headlight bezels on already. They didn’t fit the fender contours very well anymore, so I filled the gaps with a little Milliput. They will get either BMF or brush painted with Chrom after paint. The fender welting is on also as well as the windshield divider.

IMG_1631.jpeg

IMG_1633.jpeg

IMG_1635.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LennyB said:

Coming along great Greg, I think you are winning the war of the noses.👃

Agreed! What you have done with the lights is reeeeeeealy good, Greg. That one thing makes all the difference on this sloppily designed kit. And the .020 seems to be the way with the welt. I don't know if the sproo-goo is a good idea since it caused some trouble but it was a small price to pay.  My first choice was bondo but I thought it might get knocked loose with all the shaping activity. I figured sproo-goo would have a stronger bond. I never thought it would do what it did to your fenders 💩. But....all's well that ends well. What color did you decide on? 🙂

Posted (edited)
On 3/24/2024 at 12:53 PM, LennyB said:

Coming along great Greg, I think you are winning the war of the noses.👃

On 3/24/2024 at 2:28 PM, customline said:

Agreed! What you have done with the lights is reeeeeeealy good, Greg. That one thing makes all the difference on this sloppily designed kit. And the .020 seems to be the way with the welt. I don't know if the sproo-goo is a good idea since it caused some trouble but it was a small price to pay.  My first choice was bondo but I thought it might get knocked loose with all the shaping activity. I figured sproo-goo would have a stronger bond. I never thought it would do what it did to your fenders 💩. But....all's well that ends well. What color did you decide on? 🙂

Thanks Guys. The color is Khorne Red by Citadel. I bought it years ago for a Mercedes 540K project that got stalled. I didn’t realize until I started spraying it how close it is to red oxide primer. I was going to do a satin clear over it, but maybe a gloss would look better?🤔

IMG_1657.jpeg

IMG_1656.jpeg

IMG_1659.jpeg

Edited by NOBLNG

Hi Greg, you certainly have shown that kit who’s the boss. Very nice work all round sir. The headlight bezels would be tough to foil, but I think you are the man for the job. That colour looks suitable for the build. It might look interesting, but not period correct, with a coat of pearl clear, then the semi gloss. Just a thought, and likely too late… 

Back to square 18 or so.😡 I don’t know what was wrong with my eyes while painting this. It turns out there was all sorts of trash on the surface, and still a low spot on the fender🥵. It is totally my fault and I can’t blame AMT for this mess.😬 I spent the morning cleaning my paint booth (and I’m not done yet), since it is absolutely filthy. The duplcolor primer/sealer that I put on after the Tamiya pink really made stripping it easy. Thanks for the recommendation Steven!🙂

IMG_1702.jpeg

IMG_1692.jpeg

IMG_1694.jpeg

IMG_1697.jpeg