Model Cars Magazine Forum

66 Mustang Pro Street

Zippi

44 minutes ago, bobss396 said:

FWIW, I have been using Duplicolor chrome paint, definitely better than looking at kit chrome with mold flash. I just did some bumpers for a Mustang AWB I have going.

Thanks man.   I've never tried the  Duplicolor chrome paint.  

2 hours ago, bobss396 said:

FWIW, I have been using Duplicolor chrome paint, definitely better than looking at kit chrome with mold flash. I just did some bumpers for a Mustang AWB I have going.

Yeah, I just love how bad the AMT mustang kits have mold lines right through the sides of the front bumpers, ugh! It is so annoying, I always strip and sand the chrome parts. I use Molotow through an airbrush though and I think I get pretty decent results. :) 

Edited by Duddly01
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, Duddly01 said:

Yeah, I just love how bad the AMT mustang kits have mold lines right through the sides of the front bumpers, ugh! It is so annoying, I always strip and sand the chrome parts. I use Molotow through an airbrush though and I think I get pretty decent results. :) 

Thanks man.  Yeah, some of the AMT kits are terrible on the mold lines.  I stripped, sanded, and glued them on.  They are being painted body color now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

I got some paint on the body yesterday.  The results were not what I expected so this morning I started wet sanding.  I don't use rattle cans when I paint the bodies as it's normally hit and miss for me.  I normally don't wet sand the paint but this time it needed it.  I'm going to go ahead and shoot the clear on it when the weather it right.  If it doesn't look right it will be stripped.  

20240229_104452.jpg

20240229_104500.jpg

20240301_095440.jpg

20240301_095456.jpg

Edited by Zippi

3 hours ago, TransAmMike said:

Looks great my friend, really is a nice blue!!

Thanks man.  We'll see how it looks when I hit it with some clear.

This morning I decided to go over the body one more time with the 4,000, 6,000, 8,000, and 12,000 grit in an attempt to get the paint as flat as possible without burning through.  The jury is still out on this one fellows.  Hoping to shoot some clear on this tomorrow and that will show if I did a good enough job of wet sanding.      

20240302_090934.jpg

20240302_090946.jpg

2 hours ago, Zippi said:

This morning I decided to go over the body one more time with the 4,000, 6,000, 8,000, and 12,000 grit in an attempt to get the paint as flat as possible without burning through.  The jury is still out on this one fellows.  Hoping to shoot some clear on this tomorrow and that will show if I did a good enough job of wet sanding.      

20240302_090934.jpg

20240302_090946.jpg

What are those sanding pads and where can I find them. Any way love the kolor.

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, FoMoCo66 said:

What are those sanding pads and where can I find them. Any way love the kolor.

Thanks.  I bought them at Hobby Lobby and cut them into smaller pieces.

20240302_121010.jpg

Edited by Zippi

3 hours ago, Zippi said:

20240302_090934.jpg

20240302_090946.jpg

Fingers crossed. Love the color, hope you can save it.

19 hours ago, Duddly01 said:

Fingers crossed. Love the color, hope you can save it.

I hear ya dude.  Like my granddaddy used to say, hope for the best and expect the worst.  

22 hours ago, bluestringer said:

Looking good Bob. I like that blue.

Thanks James.  It's a good looking blue if I can get it flattened out enough to look good.  

10 hours ago, dragcarz said:

Looking god Bob, did you get clear on it today?

Thanks Roger.  We had the Granddaughters basketball games yesterday.  Going to try to shoot some clear today if I can get the humidity down in the garage but it's not looking good.

Looking good Bob. You always seem to hit the rough road when your painting the body. Try shooting your paint alittle closer so as not to get that orange peel. Distance and speed is the key to getting a flat paint job. You know how to paint, Just make some small adjustments and you will have those results you are expecting.

1 hour ago, Speedpro said:

Looking good Bob. You always seem to hit the rough road when your painting the body. Try shooting your paint alittle closer so as not to get that orange peel. Distance and speed is the key to getting a flat paint job. You know how to paint, Just make some small adjustments and you will have those results you are expecting.

Thanks.  Well, I'm about 4" to 6" away so can't get any closer.  Only time will tell.  

I got the clear on the Mustang.  Not to sure.  It's in the Dehydrator for about 10 hrs then wet sand and polish.  Well see.  At this point I'm not a big fan of what I see.

20240304_115716.jpg

20240304_115726.jpg

2 hours ago, Zippi said:

I got the clear on the Mustang.  Not to sure.  It's in the Dehydrator for about 10 hrs then wet sand and polish.  Well see.  At this point I'm not a big fan of what I see.

20240304_115716.jpg

20240304_115726.jpg

I am sorry, but I think your gut may be right. I hope I am wrong and you can smooth it out without burn through. Fingers crossed.