Model Cars Magazine Forum

MPC 79 Ford Pinto Cruising Wagon

satterwhite78

A compact sedan transformed into a Sedan delivery wagon with a splash of 70's California vibe and nod to the Custom Van craze.....

A Big Blue Oval decision that probably came 2-3 years to late. GM Chevolet Vega Kammback Panel wagon was dropped in 1975 just as the full size Custom Van were coming into their own.

For its 10 year production run starting in 1970, the Pinto was an entry level ( basic), affordable ( Cheap) and a popular icon ( dull transportation) in the subcompact class.

I have had some challenging builds in my modelbuilding tenure. One that comes to mind was the Trumpeter 60 Pontiac Bonneville, 23 pieces to make a radiator.  Another was the Lindbergh Dodge L-700 Cab over Truck with a flatbed trailer and 40 Ford, so much flash that if I'd were able to recycle the flash I would have two extra kits.

But this kit went together as expected for the 1978 issue.  Below average detail,  the body being the only redeeming effort in detail.  It did come with two engine, a 1200cc (2.0L) and a 351W.....

It was the ten times I attempted to paint the body that made me shake my head, throw a can of paint into the backyard (yes I went and retrieved it), purple pond bomb and drown multiple times, sand multiple times, say a profane word or two, buy more white spray paint bc the time tested and trusted paint  brand I have used went South multiple times, a whole heckuva lot of more profanity and some unforgiving uncooperative weather during the time.  Fortunately no model was injured during the building of this kit.....but my patience sure did take a plastic foot to the...as I was saying,  this kit went together.

I would like to mention that it was my daughter who got me this kit along with the 79 Plymouth Volare Roadrunner ( posted) from a Thrift store while out weekend rummaging . Excited about the Volare, I told her to go ahead and get the Pinto....glad I did.

20240227_210914.jpg

20240227_210951.jpg

20240227_211111.jpg

20240227_211049.jpg

20240227_211154.jpg

Edited by satterwhite78
Text
  • Like 18

• satterwhite78 changed the title to MPC 79 Ford Pinto Cruising Wagon

Nice work....came out great even with challenges.

I learned to drive in our family 73 Pinto wagon. A neat car really. Dad took me to a huge parking lot, handed me the keys and said 'Go drive'. $ speed manual....I did just that. Thx

Great looking box art style finish. To Ford's credit they advertised and promoted this Pinto option and sold a good number in the area I was living in at the time. Chevrolet on the other hand made little mention of the panel van version in the sales catalog and then couldn't figure out why they didn't sell.