Model Cars Magazine Forum

I spray painted my 1972 Swinger using Chrysler Engine Orange ( colloq. , [Street] Hemi Orange ) back in 1998. 

Car was originally EV2 Hemi Orange to begin with ; the engine paint's the same, sans the metallic used on the body paint.

I used 15-20 cans ; 2 on each panel, 3 on the hood-roof-trunk. 

After a week or two, I colour sanded it, and polished it to a perfect shine - zero "high spots" or "low spots" , zero runs, sags, etc. 

Rattle can paint jobs can look quite nice when the prep is proper and the application performed correctly. 

• Like 1

I painted a car with Rustoleum in the past, but used a gun. Bought 2 quarts and reduced it with lacquer thinner. 2 coats on the car and drove it away an hour later. Looked great. It was a beater and looked good for the 2 years I drove it.

Wonder if they sell their cold galvanizing primer like this? If you want really good rust prevention it works wonderfully. I painted a set of steel dealership ramps after only wire brushing the rust then rinsing. 3 years outside and they still look great.

9 hours ago, slusher said:

Someone will paint a model with one of those big cans of Rustoleum….

Why paint one, when you could line up 3 or 4 and paint them all with one pass?😁

Edited by NOBLNG
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4