Model Cars Magazine Forum

Mr Norm's 71 Super Demon SS/CA

A fun build...had not thought of such a factory Drag car until I saw and bought the last set of decals at the Salisbury, NC Swap meet this past February.

Tamiya TS-54 sprayed on perfectly for the Chrysler B5. Removed the back seat from the interior tub, used a Revell Charger 440 and a 69 Coronet for Bell housing/Trans. 

The K frame came from the Revell Charger tree while the original Demon K frame was removed and new K frame lowered so the 440 would somewhat fit with the hood on( just barely).

Keystones were found in my parts box. 

Not sure on the maker of the decals.  Detail was great with the gold foil striping.  Had to trim right up to the decal to highly reduce the clear film and slightly thicker than normal. But I would buy another set from the vendor. Nothing that as a Modler I or anyone else couldn't overcome...

Sent a few pics to my modeling buddies,  Model Guy had the audacity to ask where the smoke from the back tires were.....told him they were not in the kit bit I would look for them! Lol

20240314_191158.jpg

20240314_191102.jpg

20240314_191003.jpg

20240314_205630.jpg

20240314_190945.jpg

20240314_190652.jpg

Edited by satterwhite78
  • Like 14

Absolutely gorgeous! Great paint and decals. The stance is perfect!

However! Me being a stickler for accuracy and an NHRA tech inspector for over 30 years, I gotta tell you that the Demon ( with that engine and hood) would not be classed as a Super Stock car. Non original engine and hood scoop would put that car in Modified Production or a Gas class. Regardless, its a really nice looking car!

• Like 2

This was an engineering concept by Tom Hoover that never made it.  It would have had Chrysler corp either use up the remaining supply of max wedge cylinder heads or have them recast for  440 Super Stock A body n 1971.   Can’t remember the entire story.  Was intended to be a short production run similar to the 68 hemi Darts and Baracudas; 50-100 cars to be eligible for NHRA super stock.  I think Mr Norm Garage did this prototype about 10-15 years ago.  What might have been!

On 3/16/2024 at 11:52 PM, swatters53 said:

This was an engineering concept by Tom Hoover that never made it.  It would have had Chrysler corp either use up the remaining supply of max wedge cylinder heads or have them recast for  440 Super Stock A body n 1971.   Can’t remember the entire story.  Was intended to be a short production run similar to the 68 hemi Darts and Baracudas; 50-100 cars to be eligible for NHRA super stock.  I think Mr Norm Garage did this prototype about 10-15 years ago.  What might have been!

Can you imagine what would happen if they took the restraints off of Hoover?  A close friend of mine worked for Ray Barton and got to speak with Hoover on a regular basis. Awesome stories and wild ideas!

• Thanks 1