Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 1983 Hurst Oldsmobile.

I want to duplicate the car on the box. Not really good at 2 tones. Why the first one I built was blue. LOL! Would you paint the whole thing black. Then mask it off to spray the lower parts silver? Or visa versa. Or mask it off for each color? And would you attach the front and rear bumper before you paint even though the instructions show them being attached later in the building process. Thank you.

olds.jpg

Edited by ewetwo

Since the majority of the Oldsmobile is Black I would do as I've done with Dale Earnhardt black and silver cars back when they didn't have the decals in silver. Paint car Silver, and let dry a few weeks, then mask of the lower part, the spray the top section black.

• Like 2

I think it would work either way.

I personally sprayed the car black then masked and sprayed the silver...

ho.JPG.ccbe3a3dd6ef8695cc4d963aa98cbe63.JPG

Then on the '84 version I'm pretty sure I sprayed the silver and then the black...

ho2.JPG.a2345cccd1eed5d09bd55add4ead4105.JPG

Edited by KWT

In addition to ranma's suggestion, consider taping the front and rear bumpers to the body to make sure the paint line is the same as the body and then paint as one unit. 

23 minutes ago, espo said:

In addition to ranma's suggestion, consider taping the front and rear bumpers to the body to make sure the paint line is the same as the body and then paint as one unit. 

Or, at the very least, temporarily attach the bumpers to the body to be certain that you’re masked lines match up, and then disassemble and paint separately.

I guess a lot depends on the assembly process required for the particular model.

You might possibly not be able to get the chassis into the model with the bumpers permanently installed.

These are things that a seasoned builder will investigate before he gets in too deep.

By the way, personally, I would paint the silver first, followed by the black for a couple of reasons.

#1:  it’s easier to cover silver paint with black, than it is to cover black with silver.

#2:    Masking the smaller silver portion of the body in preparation for the black will be a lot easier, and require a lot less masking material than masking the entire body just to spray the silver on the bottom.

Steve

• Like 1

1 minute ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

Or, at the very least, temporarily attach the bumpers to the body to be certain that you’re masked lines match up, and then disassemble and paint separately.

I guess a lot depends on the assembly process required for the particular model.

You might possibly not be able to get the chassis into the model with the bumpers permanently installed.

These are things that a seasoned builder will investigate before he gets in too deep.

By the way, personally, I would paint the silver first, followed by the black for a couple of reasons.

#1:  it’s easier to cover silver paint with black, than it is to cover black with silver.

#2:    Masking the smaller silver portion of the body in preparation for the black will be a lot easier, and require a lot less masking material than masking the entire body just to spray the silver on the bottom.

Steve

That's what I was trying to say about the bumper mounting before painting. I agree that masking the black body color would use a lot of tape and potentially hurt the finish on the black paint. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, espo said:

That's what I was trying to say about the bumper mounting before painting. I agree that masking the black body color would use a lot of tape and potentially hurt the finish on the black paint. 

I’m sorry.

Seems I read your post a bit wrong.

Yes, I would most likely do it this way, and possibly even permanently install the bumpers if the chassis installation would permit.

Steve

I glued the bumpers and front ground effects on first. I sprayed the silver on first, then taped over the silver and sprayed on the black. It just seemed easier to me to tape over the silver areas rather that the other way around. Turned out rather nicely for me.

• Like 1

My usual methodology on two tone/color bodies is to work light to dark, like Steve said "it's easier to cover silver with black..."  If you shoot the lighter color over the darker, I think you are setting yourself up for bleed through.  I've never experienced bleed through issues when going light to dark; being that the light color is silver, you might not encounter any sort of issue, then again, you might.

I am in agreement with Steve and Skip - light to dark with the paintwork.  Whenever I do a two-tone paint job, the lighter color goes on first then the darker color.  Even when I build an aircraft model with a three-tone (or more) camo scheme, the lightest color goes on first and then followed by the next darker color.  Never had a problem with bleed through.

3 hours ago, Hi-Po said:

I am in agreement with Steve and Skip - light to dark with the paintwork

I agree in general, but in this specific instance it doesn't really matter since both black and sliver are very opaque. Ether can fully cover the other.  But even then, to me it makes sense to paint the silver first, mask it, then spray the black.  Now I'm wondering in what order the 1:1 cars were painted. :)

A lot of great advice guys. I'll look into the instructions more about the bumpers. I did a blue one but my mind isn't what it use to be. The bumpers might be able to be glued in place.