Model Cars Magazine Forum

'41 Plymouth Special Deluxe G/G

W-409

Finally got this thing finished. I originally started building this in 2008, but after several times being stalled and boxed away I didn't finish it until today. The plan was to build somewhat a low-buck race car for NHRA's Gas Coupes & Sedans class, using the 1963 rulebook as a reference. I chose to build this into G/G class, which was reserved for cars equipped with straight six or straight eight engines, or Pre 1960 Ford Flathead engines. The engines had to run stock cylinder heads and they had to be naturally aspirated.

So my starting point was an old Matchbox reboxing of AMT's '41 Plymouth. For the engine, I decided to go with a 221 Cid Ford Flathead from Revell's 1940 Ford kit. I scratchbuilt an intake manifold to use a Hilborn Fuel Injection setup. The injector stacks are somekind of electrical parts and fuel pump came from AMT Double Dragster kit. All fuel lines, throttle linkage etc were also added with several fuel line fittings made out of hex-shaped plastic rod. Headers were also scratchbuilt from round plastic rod, sheet styrene for flanges and pieces of mold sprue as collectors. Engine mounts, accessory belt and some small detail parts were also scratchbuilt and the engine was finished with a little black wash.

Front suspension was completely modified to a straight axle setup with all parts from various sources (parts box). Springs were modified to get a desired ride height and steering system was partly scratchbuilt, partly modified from parts from my parts box. Shocks are also from parts box and shock mounts were scratchbuilt. Rear suspension is pretty much stock, I only had to widen the track width a little. Tires are from my parts box and wheels are resin cast steelies by a friend of mine. From the chassis I removed the stock gas tank and added a brake master cylinder and brake lines. Inner fenders were trimmed a little to make the fenderwell headers fit and radiator was taken also from Revell's '40 Ford.

Interior is pretty much stock. Only additions are driver's seat belts, helmet, floor shifter and a tachometer + tach cable. Otherwise the interior is stock, just detailed with paint and a little BMF for the dashboard.

The only real body modifications were to enlarge the rear wheel openings to fit bigger slicks on the back and building a hood scoop from sheet styrene. Front end needed some prepping before paint as the nose comes as a separate part. After the seams were smoothed out, I had to add the seals between front fenders and the rest of the body to the front because they were pretty much gone. I made them out of stretched mold sprue. I wanted to have a primer finish so the body was painted with grey primer and after a couple of decals I shot it with flat clear. Class designations on the door are handpainted with a brush to replicate white shoe polish. Chrome trim is BMF.

So, here are the finished pictures. All kinds of comments are welcome so I can make the next one better. Thanks for looking everyone.;)

DSC00764-vi.jpg

DSC00782-vi.jpg

DSC00767-vi.jpg

DSC00769-vi.jpg

DSC00771-vi.jpg

DSC00803-vi.jpg

DSC00775-vi.jpg

DSC00778-vi.jpg

DSC00792-vi.jpg

DSC00789-vi.jpg

DSC00784-vi.jpg

DSC00796-vi.jpg

DSC00798-vi.jpg

• Like 8

It sits just right i really love that flathead I my opinion the rear wheels look even better than stock . The interior looks spot on the light brown looks like what came factory. Perfect choice of shifter and tach . The black on the grill really adds some pop . The only thing that I would do differently would be to add the towing tabs from amt’s 1962 belair super stock kit . As these cars were often flat towed to a local drag strip. You also might have to build a mildly customized 1960 f-100 to tow it. Job well executed my friend.

Really like this one! The grey primer, the hand painted lettering on the doors, the red wheels with the wide whites, the stance, it all works to make this build look so authentic for an early sixties gasser. And that engine bay, oh my goodness that’s nice!

22 hours ago, W-409 said:

The injector stacks are somekind of electrical parts

Do you happen to know where you got these injector stack parts? They look so much better than any molded velocity stacks. The copper fuel lines you added are also amazing. Great scale modeling!

• Like 1

Everything about this model convinces you of the period of drag racing it's supposed to represent right down to the hand drawn class lettering, whitewalls and injected flattie. 100% Niko! 

Edited by Yeah Nah

Thank you so much everyone for the kind words! They are appreciated! :)

On 3/27/2024 at 7:32 PM, M W Elky said:

The only thing that I would do differently would be to add the towing tabs from amt’s 1962 belair super stock kit . As these cars were often flat towed to a local drag strip. You also might have to build a mildly customized 1960 f-100 to tow it. Job well executed my friend.

I actually thought about adding the towing tabs on the front some point during the build, but forgot to do that in the final assembly. Well, next time then.:P

With all of the new cool Pickup kits available and coming soon, we have plenty of choices for cool shop trucks. The Ford is definitely on my must have list.

On 3/27/2024 at 11:44 PM, Sledsel said:

Super Kool! Next one better? How?

I left some mistakes here and there like usual, so I can at least try to improve on the next one.:lol:

On 3/28/2024 at 5:19 PM, papajohn97 said:

Do you happen to know where you got these injector stack parts? They look so much better than any molded velocity stacks. The copper fuel lines you added are also amazing. Great scale modeling!

I think they are called "Ferrules" or something like that. Me being here in Finland it probably doesn't help you guys much if I tell you that I bought them at a shop called Puuilo, but they look somewhat like this:

spacer.png

They come in different sizes to just pick the size you want. Put them the plastic insulation heading down to your modeling table and carefully tap the other end to get the insulation off. Repeat this eight times and you have a set of injector stacks as seen on this model.;)  The good thing about these is that you can buy a bag of, like, 100 pcs for a few bucks.

16 hours ago, bogger44 said:

Wow Niko, you really knocked this one outta the park!  The subtle blackwash on the engine is very effective.  Beautiful attention to the details all-around.  

The blackwash on the engine made a huge difference for sure! I didn't want to make it look like it's leaking oil from every possible gasket, but I wanted it to look a little "used" anyway. I think I succeeded in it.

Thanks again everyone!

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...