Model Cars Magazine Forum

43 years later: the model (not mine) that inspired the "Late Model Custom" article series (1981-83) in the old SAE

I am guessing that many of you became deeply involved in the model car/truck hobby well beyond the early 1980s.  Nevertheless, here is a bit of trivia from the early days of the mag that largely carried the hobby from the late 1970s through to the debut of MCM years later....hope those of you interested in the earlier days of our hobby enjoy the following:  

In the early days of Scale Auto Enthusiast magazine, there was a 7-part article series called "Late Model Custom" that first appeared in the November/December 1981 issue (issue #16), then followed in issues #17, 18, 19, 21, 22, and 23.

The original model car that inspired the entire how-to series was pictured across the top two pages of that first issue, and also as a sidebar in issue #23. That model was built by Harry Bourlaer (sp?). I photographed it at the model contest ran by Bob Butterley at the 1981 United Street Machine Association Nationals at the Michigan Stage Fairgrounds at Woodward and Eight Mile Road in Detroit, Michigan.

This was the only time I ever saw the model, until just last Sunday, nearly 43(!!!) years later, at the 2024 Detroit Area Auto Modelers show in Warren, Michigan. There it sat on the Custom table at the show. I was blown away. It looked just as good as I remembered, all these years later.

Harry's build was based on the MPC 1973 Chevy Impala kit. As a builder/writer back then, I didn't have access to that kit, and I wanted a kit that was widely available to readers at the time for the article series, so I used the AMT George Barris "Cruisin' USA series 1970 impala as the basis of the how-to articles. Other than that difference, it should be pretty clear where the inspiration for the magazine article series came from.

Check out the photos below, and then compare it to the Late Model Custom project it inspired. Once again, great job Harry, and thanks a bunch for showing it to us once again....TIM

Harry's model, as photographed in 1981 and here, in March, 2023:

image.png.ab73cebe0ceef280de237f69e96cca00.png

The final result of the 7-part "Late Model Custom" series in Scale Auto Enthusiast from late 1981 to early 1983....it should be really obvious where the inspiration for this model came from...

image.png.fa2c5452ff6ff6f84771b6e3784234da.png

A few more shots of Harry's model, as photographed in late March, 2024:

image.png.bff3dffd882f2ba00adf0f7b85371921.png

image.png.5edc3148d4bca959cda9614e80e55f96.png

Thanks, Harry, for sharing your model with us once again....TIM 

More photos at this link

Edited by tim boyd
  • Like 7

Tim,

That 70 Impala build really inspired me as a builder. I was a pre-teen when those articles were published, and it really pushed me to improve my skills. Thank you!

Craig (Carmak)

Wow. I have models that I built five years ago that don't look good anymore. Tire burn, discolored chrome, and so on. I wonder how some of you guys just preserve these classics.  These both look fresh off the workbench!

Oddly enough it was the AMT '70 Impala kit that got me to subscribe to Scale Auto in 2005 or thereabouts. Or rather, an article about that kit where the builder modified one to resemble the real one he had owned years before. He reshaped the roof, opened and hinged the doors, detailed it and weathered it. I can't remember the issue or the author's name now, but that article still sticks with me.

• tim boyd changed the title to 43 years later: the model (not mine) that inspired the "Late Model Custom" article series (1981-83) in the old SAE

So, at a show last year I picked up forty or fifty Scale Autos and Model Cars magazines from a guy, and I’ve been just working through the pile.  Finished the ‘latest’ one and this was next in the pile:

IMG_9787.thumb.jpeg.8a95eb203afb014d28672a7b92014caa.jpeg

IMG_9788.thumb.jpeg.bbd84c1dd0ff63406f03ddceb07bffe6.jpeg

Just a funny coincidence, with this thread popping up this week!

• Like 2

When I saw the start of this project in the Nov/Dec 1981 issue, I made sure I got to the hobby shop early enough to not miss an installment. I dreamed of building one. I still have all the articles, and still have the dream. 

20240405_214727.jpg

• Like 1

We used to pick up Auto World model car magazines at the corner news stand when we had 50¢ to splurge. By today's standards the cars were quite primitive. But we got tips that we used. I recall my older brother buying a Zona razor saw that we saw in one issue.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, bobss396 said:

Zona razor saw

razor saw, pin vise, number drills ( and others ) - those where the tools mentioned in the model magazines and I once dreamed of having those many decades ago. 

I miss the thrill of picking up the latest issue of the modeling magazines at the local news stand and the many hours of reading and dreaming that followed.

cheers, Graham 

• Like 1

On 4/6/2024 at 12:53 AM, Sam I Am said:

When I saw the start of this project in the Nov/Dec 1981 issue, I made sure I got to the hobby shop early enough to not miss an installment. I dreamed of building one. I still have all the articles, and still have the dream. 

20240405_214727.jpg

Sam...that is just TOO COOL!   Thanks so much for sharing this....TIM