Model Cars Magazine Forum

It's really important to know how tall your trailer is

For years the Westwood PD posted videos of mishaps at a particular railroad bridge.  This garnered social media attention.

The bridge has been replaced so the clearance issues are gone.

https://www.masslive.com/news/2016/12/westwood_polices_famous_east_s.html

(Click "Watch on YouTube" to view the 2nd video).

Edited by Brian Austin

I'm guessing the standard height of a 5 ton box van is right at 12'. It's amazing how many just skim off the roof panel.

If I lived nearby, I would make a living salvaging scrap aluminum.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, bobss396 said:

I believe that bridge has been "fixed" recently, the YT channel was entertaining. Lots of Ryder trucks, motor homes, etc.

The video is the fixed bridge. It was the 11'8" bridge. It was raised 8" so they call it 11'8" plus 8".

I’ve said for years that they need to make it tougher to get a drivers licence.🤨 That said, you have to wonder if some of these people even bothered to get one….or had someone else take the test for them?🤯

I've been noticing old bridges in my area have scars underneath, along with fragments of box truck roofs wedged in structural members.  Even a new bridge that replaced an older one a few years ago bears scrapes in the shinyish paint.  One old bridge in the same town had been hit numerous times, but the final punch came from a cement mixer.  That bridge was removed and left to the side.  That railroad branch (or siding?) remains out of service IIRC.