Model Cars Magazine Forum

Removing canopy glue

I’ve used the Testors canopy glue to pre assemble a resin engine and it was difficult to remove with hot water. Everyone calls this a PVA glue but I know Elmers wood glue is easier to clean up with water which is also pva. Maybe the Testors has additional ingredients to make it better. I’ll use it to install glass in a model but not for pre assembly.

Are you referring to the clear watch crystal cement or the thicker white polymer glue, I’m not home right now so I cannot do pictures of either. 

Not certain what the watch crystal cement is, but appears to be some sort of air cure resin, which I think is waterproof, so I’m not sure what to use.  Wouldn’t hurt to ask a jeweler about how they break it loose.  Maybe a soak in  ultrasonic cleaner hoping the cavitation breaks the bond.  

For the canopy cement, probably soak it in water see if it breaks down and breaks loose, it wouldn’t hurt to run through a soak in an ultrasonic cleaner, hopefully that might make it break loose.

From a quick web search, some folks on RC sites say soaking in water will dissolve it, some say isopropyl alcohol. Are you trying to remove excess from an assembled model, or can you soak the parts?

3 hours ago, NOBLNG said:

From a quick web search, some folks on RC sites say soaking in water will dissolve it, some say isopropyl alcohol. Are you trying to remove excess from an assembled model, or can you soak the parts?

Assembled from mock-up.

10 hours ago, Big_John said:

I was curious... So I looked at the MSDS and it's mostly made from vinyl acetate.  That should dissolve in isopropyl alcohol without too much drama.  

The sad thing is that if someone actually clicked on the link Joe posted in the first reply to the question, that was the the exact answer there. Alcohol.

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, peteski said:

The sad thing is that if someone actually clicked on the link Joe posted in the first reply to the question, that was the the exact answer there. Alcohol.

Either ignoring a definitive answer from someone who actually knows, or wanting to argue, is a frequent and irksome occurrence, and not conducive to getting the real experts to offer correct info.

But hey...it's just SOP for the interwebs.  :)

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
  • Like 2