Model Cars Magazine Forum

1977 Chevy stepside revell

If you look at the White Parts trees, both the Carburetted and F.I. Manifolds are in the kit. The Tiny Air Cleaner for the Carb is still on the Chrome tree, too.

Watch the Front Axle in this kit. It has always been weak, and prone to breaking.

I'm not real fond of the Deeply Tinted Glass in this kit. It is a Call-Back to the awful 1980's MPC kits. Not Sure who at Revell though this was a Good Idea, but they could have at least done both a clear and tinted glass tree. Frankly, the whole kit smacks of Penny-Pinching and doing things on the Cheap. The Wheels had to be re-tooled to fit the Ex-Monogram Goodyear Sports Car Special Tires, since the old wheels would not have fit.

The Decal Sheet is very nice, but Two (2) set of Lic Plates is not a lot, despite what the reviewer says.

But, it is  a decent kit, and makes a nice Street Machine Build, if nothing else.

15 hours ago, Can-Con said:

I'm kinda surprised that this kit and it's variants didn't get passed off to Atlantis.

Most likely because past sales numbers show the subject matter strongly appeals to the average impulse buyer.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Can-Con said:

I'm kinda surprised that this kit and it's variants didn't get passed off to Atlantis.

The only things that got passed to Atlantis were tools still based in Illinois, and even then it wasn't all of those. This kit was reissued in 2007 and was run in China at that time, so it isn't something that could be passed off.

• Like 2

After seeing what is in the box I'm disappointed to say the least. The I beam front axle could be used under a gasser, maybe. The real pickup had an independent front suspension.  

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, espo said:

After seeing what is in the box I'm disappointed to say the least. The I beam front axle could be used under a gasser, maybe. The real pickup had an independent front suspension.  

Yup, it's as it's always been since its original versions were introduced over 40 years ago. Ya gotta remember back then model kits were primarily aimed at kids, especially the Revell ones

Proper front suspension, stock bumpers and a better engine would go a long way to improve the kit  , , short of a brand new kit.

1 hour ago, Can-Con said:

Yup, it's as it's always been since its original versions were introduced over 40 years ago. Ya gotta remember back then model kits were primarily aimed at kids, especially the Revell ones

Proper front suspension, stock bumpers and a better engine would go a long way to improve the kit  , , short of a brand new kit.

I bought one of the original issues years ago, still unbuilt by the way. After unboxing the model and seeing what it was, I just put it back in the box and put it away.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mk11 said:

Agreed. Plus it's the only game in town, it appears, for a pre-81 chevy in 1/25. 

Ya know Mike, I wouldn't be surprised at all if Round 2 comes out with an older 2 wheel drive square body based on their current kits in the next year or two. 

Maybe even a long fleetside, who knows.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Can-Con said:

Ya know Mike, I wouldn't be surprised at all if Round 2 comes out with an older 2 wheel drive square body based on their current kits in the next year or two. 

Sure would be nice if they did.

I wonder how the Round2/ MPC 2WD Sodbuster is selling?

This kit is really a poor representation of the 70's GM pickups with it's crude engine and chassis. Sure hope someone decides to do a new rendition of the squarebody trucks and gives the modeling community something long overdue.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mikemodeler said:

This kit is really a poor representation of the 70's GM pickups with it's crude engine and chassis. Sure hope someone decides to do a new rendition of the squarebody trucks and gives the modeling community something long overdue.

I think our best hopes are for Round2 to continue making improvements to their series of trucks, or for Revell to go all-in starting with the upcoming Stranger Things Blazer.

Edited by av405
  • Like 3

23 hours ago, Can-Con said:

I'd love to see both long bed and short bed Wideside as well as Fenderside iterations , in 2WD . 

From there, the resin artists could offer C/K 20 and 30 conversions .

I'll get one, even with all the shortcomings. I like seeing these old trucks hot rodded and can see a couple of ways to make this one interesting. What I really hope is that MPC will backdate their Deserter to produce a mid 70s two and four wheel drive version.