Model Cars Magazine Forum

I Need Larger Sheets Of Plastruct

I'm thinking of making a Winnebago and I'd like to use something like this. Years ago someone sold this sort of plastic in larger sheets, like 12x24 or so. It has raised lines on it and would look pretty close to the stuff used on a 1:1 Winnie. I bought some when building a spaceship for a failed low budget local TV show. Now that I'm looking for it, I can't find it anymore. Am I just overlooking it?

plastic.PNG

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, oldcarfan said:

I'm thinking of making a Winnebago and I'd like to use something like this. Years ago someone sold this sort of plastic in larger sheets, like 12x24 or so. It has raised lines on it and would look pretty close to the stuff used on a 1:1 Winnie. I bought some when building a spaceship for a failed low budget local TV show. Now that I'm looking for it, I can't find it anymore. Am I just overlooking it?

plastic.PNG

I keep a copy of the Evergreen catalogue on my laptop. It is still listed. The product code for the 12" x 24" sheets is 14109.

46 minutes ago, Bill Eh? said:

I keep a copy of the Evergreen catalogue on my laptop. It is still listed. The product code for the 12" x 24" sheets is 14109.

Thank you! I was looking for it as Plastruct not Evergreen. Appreciate the help.

• Like 1

Other sources could be local plastic fabricators especially firms that made the vacuum formed signs that use the stryrene to form the signs. I was able to by a 4x8 sheet of .040 sheet years ago. Another source is the big box stores that have signs ie No Hunting.

greg

Make sure you really get plastic that can be glued with the glue you want to use, I was stupid and bought some round no name styrene profiles instead of Plastruct or Evergreen, sure they were cheaper but my usual Revell glue does not bite and hardly even CA glue.

3 hours ago, Ulf said:

Make sure you really get plastic that can be glued with the glue you want to use, I was stupid and bought some round no name styrene profiles instead of Plastruct or Evergreen, sure they were cheaper but my usual Revell glue does not bite and hardly even CA glue.

That sounds like the cheap plastic was not polystyrene (or ABS).  While I'm not familiar with Revell cement, I suspect ti is a typical solvent-based cement. If it is polystyrene (or ABS, which is a variant of polystyrene) should all be gluable using hobby glues for styrene, and even CA glue.

My major source for raw materials has always been McMaster-Carr. You can build quite the Winnebago with the 1/32X40”X72” (or smaller) polystyrene sheet available on their website.

Edited by Rick L
Detailed word
  • Like 1

On 4/26/2024 at 5:22 AM, Rick L said:

My major source for raw materials has always been McMaster-Carr. You can build quite the Winnebago with the 1/32X40”X72” (or smaller) polystyrene sheet available on their website.

I ran cross this question myself on styrene plastic I've tried Evergreen plastics and what glues will work at the time I was working with HO C channel Evergreen plastics I couldn't get anything to really stick of course this was back in 2000 I had a 32 three window I was building and 53 Ford u/p. I think I better check in on this company it's not too far from where I am.