Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 1930 Ford Model A

I've been wanting to build another hot rod and I kept coming back to images of Frankie Klepadlo's Model A- super low with some really nice details - you can see his real car here: https://www.instagram.com/panammotorcycles

I started with the Revell 1930 Model A Ford kit and lowered and narrowed the chassis before adding a lot of custom designed and 3D printed pieces to replicate his ride.

Hot_Rod_Day-39.jpg.3c6c517e7131d2e5d19a011f434655ba.jpg

The first thing was to replicate the wheels and tires so I started with my earlier Firestones but added a bit more detail this time with extra sidewall lettering and a deformation to the bottom of the tire to give it a bit of weight.

Hot_Rod_Day-18.jpg.b9a5915b06ea8c7f32fbce31eff8f7cc.jpg

I designed and printed the wire wheels and V8 hubcaps as well as the chopped grill and grill shell to match the actual car. Paint is Tamiya Dull Red with Mr Color GX100 Clear over top.

Hot_rod_rear-1.jpg.e61be9d8209d3ab1f678c2952307a844.jpg

The taillight housings were 3D printed and I made the lenses by shaping some leftover clear red sprue. 

Hot_Rod_Day-60.jpg.5ae513803eeed9622a031c3e22678749.jpg

I think the engine is the star of the show of the real build so I built spent the time to make the intake, exhausts, Offenhauser valve covers and generator to match. The chrome was all done with Alclad Chrome over Mr Color Gloss Black. 

Hot_rod_over_engine-1.jpg.bf394da7cc26b0397e513d6705fdb72d.jpg

One of my favourite details from the real build is the leather strap on the cowl. I 3d printed the buckle and then painted a couple of layers of masking tape for the strap.

Hot_Rod_Day-22.jpg.0ed736d07f73ffb8be8b4e048ffaeb43.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Martin.

• Like 25

Just freaking amazing…had to look long and hard to find any clue that this is in fact a model car.    The most realistic Hot Rod model I have ever seen.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The only thing that convinced me that this is a model is where the leather strap meets the 3d printed buckle. Your attention to detail and modeling skills are spot on. Really well done there Martin and thanks for sharing. 

Cheers, 

David. 😎👍

• Thanks 1

I had to scroll all the way down to realize this was a model and not a picture posted from one of the hotrod books as your "inspiration" - !!!

Incredible work and detail, completely had me. 

So good I got nuttin' - that is just amazing. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

I'd love to go for a drive in this one !! As always great model - great photos. I just looked at photos of the "real" real car. You nailed it.

Edited by Phildaupho
  • Thanks 1

Looking at the details of the engine, fit and finish of the body and paint, it is hard to realize this is a model and not a real car. The background used in the photos also add to this appearance. 

• Thanks 1