Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT's 1957 Ford Hardtop: Finished

David G.

Hello Everybody!

AMT's 1957 Ford Hardtop.

This is one of those kits that can be built in multiple ways: drag, stock and custom or any combination of the three. I plan on building this one stock. The kit was originally released in 1963 and has been reissued multiple times in various configurations.

I've been working on this one for a while and I'm glad to finally have it done. Here is a link to the build thread for those of you who may be interested.

Classic front three-quarter view.

57_Ford_45.jpg.3756fd87eb6ef63426401d42eb16c4e4.jpg

The 1957 New Mexico license plate just happens to be green and white. I thought it would look good on the car.

57_Ford_46.jpg.671d5dfedb6126e91e932d1edd26acb8.jpg

The gold in the side spear is gold colored BMF.

57_Ford_47.jpg.5d61661522f910c30b56c8ab2b3fda95.jpg

The car did end up with a bit of a rake, but I'm okay with that.

57_Ford_48.jpg.de86022ed337ce7c64db50720e7b840d.jpg

Rear three-quarter view.

57_Ford_49.jpg.fe3a750ca12e2149483e13e56dd668ab.jpg

Quarter panel script detail. I painted this with Molotow chrome paint using a toothpick.

57_Ford_50.jpg.4ad3f1f78fca16d2c126873991214ce1.jpg

Detail shot of the trunk badge and tail lights. The trunk badge is made from BMF and a printed copy of a "Fairlane" badge. The tail light chrome trim is hand painted with Molotow using a toothpick.

57_Ford_52.jpg.9faf99cdb15bd4fe49a13bcd8cf481c1.jpg

I have a few more photos in the works, I'll try to get those posted in the next few days.

As always, thanks for taking the time to look and please feel free to comment, if you wish.

David G.

• Like 7

Posted (edited)

Awesome 57 ford. I watched the WIP and it was very informational. The car really came out nice. Do you by chance have any pictures of the engine.

Edited by FoMoCo66

2 hours ago, Jim B said:

Beautiful Ford.  Very well done.

Thank you Jim.

1 hour ago, FoMoCo66 said:

Awesome 57 ford. I watched the WIP and it was very informational. The car really came out nice. Do you by chance have any pictures of the engine.

Thanks Ace, and yes I do have an engine pic...

57_Ford_11.jpg.38483a3429dd3b4dac51aa41e1c2bc4c.jpg

Lightly weathered, as used but not abused.

David G.

• Like 3

Beautiful looking build. Like so many others I also followed your WIP. Having owned two different '57 Fords years ago I appreciate how you strived to be as accurate as possible to the original. Many mis doing the two tone correctly as you have. The paint colors look just like the OEM paint combination. The trim details look spot on.  

21 hours ago, Rattlecan Dan said:

Nice job! Lots of good work there.

Thanks Dan.

20 hours ago, Supernurd said:

Came out great!  👍

Thanks L M, I appreciate that.

19 hours ago, espo said:

Beautiful looking build. Like so many others I also followed your WIP. Having owned two different '57 Fords years ago I appreciate how you strived to be as accurate as possible to the original. Many mis doing the two tone correctly as you have. The paint colors look just like the OEM paint combination. The trim details look spot on.  

It's nice having one's efforts recognized by someone who has direct first hand experience with the subject. Thank you so much David.

18 hours ago, SpeedShift said:

Well done.

Thanks Jim.

16 hours ago, karbuildr said:

Very nice Ford. Great paint, nicely detailed and this is not the easiest kit to build. You did a great job.

Thank you most kindly David.

16 hours ago, TransAmMike said:

Turned out very nice David, good work👍

Thank you Mike.

15 hours ago, customline said:

I can't add anything different than what everybody else has already said so....Ditto!  

Great job, David, I enjoyed watching this one. 👍

Thanks Jim, I was glad to have you along for the ride.

15 hours ago, Yeah Nah said:

Nice, overall build David. Trim detail is really well done.

Thank you Garry, having the new BMF really helped.

13 hours ago, Street Rod said:

Very nice Ford! Like the colors and the details are well done.

Thank you Doyle.

4 hours ago, PappyD340 said:

Great looking 57 Ford!

Thank you Larry.

3 hours ago, bobss396 said:

I built a ton of those as a kid and always liked the kit. Very nice job on yours. I would like to do another one of these days.

Thanks Bob. This is my first one, it's a good kit and I had a great time building it.

3 hours ago, charger74 said:

Very nice 👍🏻👍🏻

Thanks Eric.

1 hour ago, ChrisR said:

Very nice!!

Thank you Chris.

I have some more photos in the que that I'll try to get posted in the coming days. I hate doing a huge photo dump all at once as it tends to be a bit overwhelming sometimes.

Thanks again for all oy your kind comments.

David G.

Nicely done. The 2-tone must have been a challenge with quite a contrast between the colours and some places where you can't rely on the trim to break it up, but you got it down just right. Great work on the badges and tail lights with the Molotow.

21 hours ago, Nacho Z said:

Like a lot of the others, I watched this one come together.  You have done a terrific job on this, David!

Thank you John, I'm glad to know you enjoyed the WIP as well as the end result.

6 hours ago, Mike Slapattack said:

Nicely done! I want to build one of these one day.

Thanks Mike. It's a good kit despite its age, and a fun build.

6 hours ago, Spottedlaurel said:

Nicely done. The 2-tone must have been a challenge with quite a contrast between the colours and some places where you can't rely on the trim to break it up, but you got it down just right. Great work on the badges and tail lights with the Molotow.

Thank you Nigel. The paint job was indeed one of the greater challenges of this build. But fortunately and it does seem to have less brightwork than other cars of this era.

Thanks again for your kind comments.

David G.