Model Cars Magazine Forum

Molotov it can be touched

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Mike 1017 said:

I dropped the roof on the way to the dehydrator

What does that mean?  Your photos show painted seats and a blurry thumb.

Edited by peteski

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Mike 1017 said:

IMG_0004.thumb.JPG.9b23cab46b9b6d67c5bf83de53b75b57.JPG

Interesting…🤔 do you have a picture of the seat after you handled it? How long was it in the dehydrator?

Edited by NOBLNG

15 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

Correct.

A Molotov is a bottle filled with gasoline with a rag stuffed in it. 😁

Steve

I've been thinking of stuffing a tissue in my re-fill bottle of the stuff and setting it on fire... Molotow cocktail?

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, GLMFAA1 said:

The spelling Karen's are pretty brutal on this forum. Watch out for the grammar Gods.

On the drying Molotow time is your best friend.

greg 

Brutal?  Really?  I've been a frequent visitor here for years and I have not noticed a lot of this happening on this forum.  Is that a problem?  If one is a fastidious modeler, why not be fastidious in your writing?  I'm far from being a perfect speller, but I try.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, peteski said:

Brutal?  Really?  I've been a frequent visitor here for years and I have not noticed a lot of this happening on this forum.  Is that a problem?  If one is a fastidious modeler, why not be fastidious in your writing?  I'm far from being a perfect speller, but I try.

Calling it “Molotov” is a very common screw up that I see on Facebook all of the time.

Apparently for a lot of guys, Molotov is the correct spelling. 😊

I’m no “spelling Karen” but I do find it amusing how so many people that swear by the stuff still think it’s called Molotov.

That would be like if after using BMF for years, I were calling it “Bright Metal Foil”. 😁

Steve

Edited by StevenGuthmiller
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, Mike 1017 said:

I will write 100 times Molotov is not Molotow

Mike

On 5/7/2024 at 4:04 PM, NOBLNG said:

Interesting…🤔 do you have a picture of the seat after you handled it? How long was it in the dehydrator?

So…did you happen to get a picture of the seat after handling it?

Thanks, Greg.

On 5/7/2024 at 3:41 PM, peteski said:

Molotow is spelled with a "w". :)

Sometimes spell check changes the word inadvertently and we don’t edit ourselves. A few years ago you corrected me when I had a question on Testors glue. Spell check changed it to testers. I’ve noticed a few of your posts have also been spell checked or unedited at times and I have bit my lip. And since everyone who has been on this site long enough knows that you can’t let anything go, you WILL respond to this post and I will continue to bite my lip.🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank for the photo Mike. It looks like handling it did no harm. Not a very chrome look though in my eye. I’ll use it for small stuff like dash knobs and shifter arms, but I will stick to foil where possible and Revell Chrom for larger un-foilable parts.🙂

Just now, NOBLNG said:

Thank for the photo Mike. It looks like handling it did no harm. Not a very chrome look though in my eye. I’ll use it for small stuff like dash knobs and shifter arms, but I will stick to foil where possible and Revell Chrom for larger un-foilable parts.🙂

If you could see what it really looks like I think that you would be impressed

3 minutes ago, Mike 1017 said:

If you could see what it really looks like I think that you would be impressed

👍 I have a large refill and will do a test of my own sometime soon.

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, NOBLNG said:

I disagree. 
Looks pretty dull on my screen, and very little like chrome to me, especially the seat back.

I’ll repeat what I’ve said before.

In order for a chrome substitute to mimic actual chrome, it has to come as close as possible to exhibiting the main property of chrome......reflectivity.

By that I mean that the finish should be absolutely smooth and mirror like.

You should be able to see your reflection in the finish, and not just some blurry facsimile of your face, but every pimple and errant nose hair should be apparent.

If not, it’s just another shiny silver paint.

In all honesty, I often see more mirror like properties in well painted bodies than I do in most Molotow finishes.

Of course, this is just my opinion.

Likewise, I have used Molotow, and nobody is ever going to convince that it will be anything approaching “durable” over the long run.

Steve

Edited by StevenGuthmiller
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, NOBLNG said:

Thank for the photo Mike. It looks like handling it did no harm. Not a very chrome look though in my eye. I’ll use it for small stuff like dash knobs and shifter arms, but I will stick to foil where possible and Revell Chrom for larger un-foilable parts.🙂

3 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

I disagree. 
Looks pretty dull on my screen, and very little like chrome to me, especially the seat back.

I’ll repeat what I’ve said before.

In order for a chrome substitute to mimic actual chrome, it has to come as close as possible to exhibiting the main property of chrome......reflectivity.

By that I mean that the finish should be absolutely smooth and mirror like.

You should be able to see your reflection in the finish, and not just some blurry facsimile of your face, but every pimple and errant nose hair should be apparent.

If not, it’s just another shiny silver paint.

In all honesty, I often see more mirror like properties in well painted bodies than I do in most Molotow finishes.

Of course, this is just my opinion.

Likewise, I have used Molotow, and nobody is ever going to convince that it will be anything approaching “durable” over the long run.

Steve

Umm, I think we agree on the appearance of it Steve.

9 hours ago, NOBLNG said:

Umm, I think we agree on the appearance of it Steve.

I was only disagreeing with your statement that "handling did no harm".

I suppose it may have looked that way from the beginning, but as the seat back exhibits no "chrome" characteristics whatsoever, as the photo appears to me, I assumed that the handling was the reason for that.

In any event, yes, it appears that we agree on the overall performance of Molotow.

In my estimation, almost any other chrome substitute will do an equal, or better job.

Steve

57 minutes ago, Mike 1017 said:

This was a great conversation we all had. My point being stick into a dehydrator and it will toughen it up.

Mike

Dry is dry.

doesn’t make a difference how, or how fast it gets there.

Steve

• Like 1