Model Cars Magazine Forum

'49 Ford mild custom

MonoPed

Already setting a a build record compared to recent years!

AMt '49 Ford kit. I lowered it, spliced in a '65 Corvette front clip/suspension, and swapped in a 9" axle from the Revell '32 Ford kit, along with relocated parts box shocks. Wheels are from the kit with parts box baby Moon caps covered in BMF, mounted in Revell '49 Merc tires. I used the kit's engine block and trans, parts box heads and intake (AMT '49 Merc?), parts box carbs and air cleaners from the Revell '49 Merc. Other details include plug wires, vac advance, brake line, oil lines, fuel lines, and a beehive filter. The interior is stock except for a steering column from the Revell '32 Ford. The tail lights are leftover bits from the Acc Mins Corvette Grand Sport, and the tag light is from a Monogram 427 Cobra. I also carved the smooth custom hood to fit over the stock grill, and made all new windows from .010" K&S clear sheet. The body is Tamiya TS-60 Pearl Green, the interior is XF-21 Sky, with AS-2 lt grey on the floor. The wheels and engine block are also XF-21 Sky.

1949-Ford-01.jpg

1949-Ford-02.jpg

1949-Ford-03.jpg

1949-Ford-04.jpg

1949-Ford-05.jpg

1949-Ford-06.jpg

Thanks guys!!

This was a fun build, and I sorta suprised myself with the way it turned out :lol:

...How did you BMF the caps and not have any wrinkles in them?

I started with a small piece of foil a little larger than the caps. I set the foil down, adheasive up on the backing sheet, then placed the cap in the center. I slowly burnished the foil in place working from the center out, then finished burnishing with the side of a toothpick untill I could wrap the edge, and trim the excess. A little buffing with a piece of cotton t-shirt finished them off.

Absolutely stunning. Having worked with this kit I can totally appreciate the amount of work involved to make it look this good. Great idea on the hood - I spent hours adding strip the make the stock hood fit better - never thought of just carving out the custom one...

• 1 month later...