Model Cars Magazine Forum

"Holy Grail" Models?

Romell's thread reminded me that I scored one of my Holy Grails recently.

Got a special deal (remarkable deal ~ incredible deal) from a really special guy! An unusual kit, I wasn't even aware of it until a few years ago. I have no idea what it's worth, but I've wanted one for a long time. I'm a happy camper!

It's complete and unbuilt ... even has both halves of the engine are still separate!

(No, it's not for sale.)

But I'm curious ~~~~ is this a common kit and I was in a cave somewhere for too long ... or is it scarce?

Let me know what you think. B)

[image borrowed from one of those other auction sites (Blujay - never heard of it!). Thank you, Blujay!]

It currently has this weird kind of scarcity kits have shortly before they become really scarce. It's the 'if you look for one there is none, but if you don't look for one, they are out there' kind of scarcity. Seeing that the 70s F-bodies gradually but steadily become ever more visible on the radars of the mainstream collectors as real cars as well as miniatures, it won't be long for this kit to become very highly sought after.

• 5 months later...

While I don't shop on Evil-bay, my brother-in-law was kind enough to find this kit I wanted and to spend my money. It's a 1959 Lincoln Continental convertible and it was my very first AMT kit when I was a kid. While it is not a "pristine" kit, it has never been painted and all the major parts are there as well as the instructions and decals and the box looks pretty good for its age of 53 years. What's your holy grail?

DSC02720.jpg

Ahh... Grail kits... I have several, was able to aquire two built-ups this year. A 4070 International Transtar COE and a 4070 Transtar II... Those that remain out of reach include the entire Tyrone Malone truck collection, the Bandag Bandit, the Super Boss, Mama Truck and Hideout truck... I would like to see these re-issued.

I`m lucky. I have two out of my 3 grails, A Badman purchased 20 years ago and the Revell Monroe Handler( bought a year ago still sealed). Now I`m in search of this baby........

I had it when I was a kid and for sentimental reasons would love to find it again.

image0011-vi.jpg

Not sure that I have a 'Holy Grail' any more. But really close to one is my builtup MPC 1968 Color Me Gone Charger funnycar (not for sale either ) Followed real close by a Johan 1969 GTX

I've had my share of the mint unbuilt stuff , Then one day I started adding up the investment I had in them and quietly started selling them off one by one .

I have a few mint unbuilts that will stay with me as long as I'm here. They are kits I remember building as a kid back then . An MPC Barry Setzer Vega , Soapy Sales Challenger, Judy Lilly 1969 Barracuda..... I have builders of them all as well

Then a few re-issues came out to do some others from my youth like the Badman 55 Chevy, the MPC 1/20th Scale McLAREN MK8a , and the MPC LA Dart

I was evilbay looking for a pair of 1/12th drag slicks, and i came across a series of 1/12th Doyusha kits. These consisted of two Lambo 500's, a Corvette, (sold one not so long ago), a racing Porsche, a Firebird and the Mustang MACH1.

Well as it its my birthday today i decided to treat myself, and got the Mustang kit, as i have been after this and the Firebird for years. Unfortunately i could only get one, and the Firebird had sold anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

I really wanted to join this thread but for the life of me, I can't think of any existing or pre existing kit that I have ever wanted and don't currently have or have had. I have the Renwal Chassis kits, a few 1/12 Mean Mavericks, I had a mint 1/12 Super Digger dragster but sold it. I guess there's a few kits I've sold and would like to have back.

Then I thought about it. I'm actually having my holy grail "kit" made right now!!!! I am making a resin master and I'm having a custom box profesionally made to go with it! It will be a model that I've wanted all my life!!!!!!! That's all I can say right now!

Edited by Ben

As was said on this thread back in 2008, a Holy Grail is the one and only kit that would make your life complete. In my case it's the 1966 Plymouth Valiant Signet promo, one of the rarest Mopar promos. I had never seen one in person and had an eBay search active for one. Wouldn't ya know, the only times one was for sale was when I couldn't afford (or at least in good concious) invest in something expensive.

The last time I saw one on eBay was when I was in the middle of moving from NJ to PA. I was carrying two houses and finance were pretty tight. And of course there it was for $400 Buy It Now. So I closed my eyes and hit that button. It was mine! Feeling a bit guilty but I had my holy grail.

At the same time I was parting out my '63 Studebaker project that suffered from terminal cancer. It just wasn't worth trying to fix. I had offered it for sale on both eBay and Craig's List for prices starting at $2500 and all the way down to $900 without a buyer. I had $1500 in NOS and repro parts alone! So I had sold over $3000 worth of parts off this car. In the end I had a carcass with no body parts, but a 70k drivetrain still in it. I didn't want to send it to the crusher so I did one last ditch ad onto eBay offering the drivetrain for $500. Imagine my surprise the next day when my email read "You've Made A Sale". Someone in North NJ had bought it to put in his 1940s pickup. So by the time it came to pay for the Valiant, I had the money in Paypal to pay for it. Nearly free!

This is a photo of the one I own. My modeling life is complete. I don't want for anything more!

my_66_2-vi.jpg

Edited by Tom Geiger

As was said on this thread back in 2008, a Holy Grail is the one and only kit that would make your life complete. In my case it's the 1966 Plymouth Valiant Signet promo, one of the rarest Mopar promos. I had never seen one in person and had an eBay search active for one. Wouldn't ya know, the only times one was for sale was when I couldn't afford (or at least in good concious) invest in something expensive.

The last time I saw one on eBay was when I was in the middle of moving from NJ to PA. I was carrying two houses and finance were pretty tight. And of course there it was for $400 Buy It Now. So I closed my eyes and hit that button. It was mine! Feeling a bit guilty but I had my holy grail.

At the same time I was parting out my '63 Studebaker project that suffered from terminal cancer. It just wasn't worth trying to fix. I had offered it for sale on both eBay and Craig's List for prices starting at $2500 and all the way down to $900 without a buyer. I had $1500 in NOS and repro parts alone! So I had sold over $3000 worth of parts off this car. In the end I had a carcass with no body parts, but a 70k drivetrain still in it. I didn't want to send it to the crusher so I did one last ditch ad onto eBay offering the drivetrain for $500. Imagine my surprise the next day when my email read "You've Made A Sale". Someone in North NJ had bought it to put in his 1940s pickup. So by the time it came to pay for the Valiant, I had the money in Paypal to pay for it. Nearly free!

This is a photo of the one I own. My modeling life is complete. I don't want for anything more!

my_66_2-vi.jpg

Nice ! A bit pricey for my tastes , but I've spent almost that much on a model I really wanted , so " Why not " !

Do you still have the old Barracuda?

Sorry to say I did sell it this year. I had to move it from my garage in NJ when the house sold, so I moved it over to the house my daughters live in, in the same town. I had planned on keeping it in the garage there, but had to clean it out, so I parked it in the driveway. A local guy saw it and said he had been looking for one to restore for years. He offered me a fair amount and assured me he'd start the resto immediately, so I let it go. It went directly to a resto shop. I felt it was better for the car since I have no time table that I'd get around to working on it, and for what he paid me, I can buy something rust free and finished later on!