Model Cars Magazine Forum

"Holy Grail" Models?

:lol: Ron, I now am the happy owner of 65 thru 68 Chrysler 300's and a resin 70.Did Jo Han ever make a 69? I don't recall ever seein one, But of course that doesn't mean they din't make one.Have YOU ever seen one? If so, and you might know by who, please let me know! TIA. :D

• 3 months later...

Aside from the great time we had putting on our show this weekend, I'm really happy to have found a trio of holy grails that were entirely unexpected :lol: Also picked up the AMT Round 2 Digger Barracuda, that is one killer reissue. The 'Cuda kit was the only planned purchase of the day.

First, an Italeri Ferrari 250 SWB. IIRC only released once, it's the best-proportioned and best overall (styrene) kit of the SWB offered. I've been bugging Ed Sexton about it for a year and glad I got this since there are still no guarantees we'll see it reissued. This one will get some MFH wheels/tires:

IMG_5331-vi.jpg

Years ago when Aoshima came out w/their MGB I wanted a GT, I had already been doing some cars for Art Anderson & he was interested when I expressed interest in mastering a GT transkit from the convertible. It came out really good, it raised some eyebrows as it was the first "foreign" subject by All American Models, and it wasn't in the lineup all that long. They're scarce, and for some stupid reason I sold 2 of the 3 I got from Art after I built one. Dave Toups did a fantastic LHD dash for it too, still available from Norm. I've wanted another for a few years and also another MGB club racer that I also somehow let escape for no apparent reason. Long story short, look what I got from another ACME member yesterday, these two kits will be combined:

IMG_5329-vi.jpg

And lastly a grail I didn't even know existed until yesterday. Kevin / Strada Sports handed these wheels to me yesterday, said they were a sample. I hope more are available. Ferrari 275 GTB road wheels w/tires and knockoffs from Harold Bradford/HRM. One reason I hadn't built the Italeri 275 was that I wanted to build it w/this style wheel and also hated the kit tires. Voila...both problems instantly solved. Also bought some Scale Production Audi RS4 wheels destined for my R8:

IMG_5330-vi.jpg

Also got some Crazy Modeler emblems and a sheet of expanded metal mesh that will help with my eventual 1/24 Lotus Exige conversion from a Welly Elise :lol: Dunno bout anyone else, but to me it's a lot more fun getting this stuff at a show than over the internet ;)

Bob..who sells the LH MGB dash??

I have that MGB kit and would like to build it LH drive as well...

Norman/Replicas and Miniatures of Maryland. At least I think he still has it in his catalog...and reminds me, I need to get a new catalog from him as I need some stuff for a new project.

The MGB kits are fun...if you build it w/the chrome bumpers you need to lower it a bit; Aoshima gave it the nosebleed ride height for the rubber bumper era cars :lol:

Norman/Replicas and Miniatures of Maryland. At least I think he still has it in his catalog...and reminds me, I need to get a new catalog from him as I need some stuff for a new project.

The MGB kits are fun...if you build it w/the chrome bumpers you need to lower it a bit; Aoshima gave it the nosebleed ride height for the rubber bumper era cars :)

Here's a link to Reps & Mins catalog online. There is a new "WHAT'S NEW" page that is NOT on there yet, but I'll get it and scan it by the end of the week. The new page lists the '32 Ford pickup, '32 sedan delivery body and the convertible '49 Merc. Meanwhile you can look at all the rest .

http://public.fotki.com/drasticplasticsmcc...casminiatureof/

Tell me about it

That sneaky man got 3 bills from me!

And if you all know me, that's probably a lifetime record!!!!

Having vendors like Kevin/Strada Sports (and Norman from R&MoM) at a show is like crack rock for model car geeks. You'll never see so many broke but happy people in one place :)

Great score Bob!

I agree with you about the 250 GT SWB..............that is the best proportioned one out there, and puts even Gunze Sangyo's to shame (I have that one). Esci's version is not even worth looking at! :P

You all have seen this before------I built this years ago. This was modeled after the '61 Sterling Moss car from an article in Road and Track back in the late '90's..................

DCP_1437-vi.jpg

DCP_1447-vi.jpg

I've got another one (like Bob's box art) that'll get the road going version treatment someday. ;)

Great score Bob!

I agree with you about the 250 GT SWB..............that is the best proportioned one out there, and puts even Gunze Sangyo's to shame (I have that one). Esci's version is not even worth looking at! :P

You all have seen this before------I built this years ago. This was modeled after the '61 Sterling Moss car from an article in Road and Track back in the late '90's..................

DCP_1437-vi.jpg

DCP_1447-vi.jpg

I've got another one (like Bob's box art) that'll get the road going version treatment someday. ;)

Always a treat to see this model. What wheels did you use? Do you have a preference for what is available for them today (mostly thinking MFH or Technomodel).

Bob, I used Detail Master PE Borrani spokes and rims for this one. That was pretty much the only game in town back when I built this car in '98-'99.

The MFH wheels are NICE!! If I were doing this car again now, I'd definitely check those out as well as Technomodel's.

I recently got a PE set of wheels for the 250 Testarossa, (KA Models?) but I don't think the offset for the wheels is correct for that car especially for the rear. I'll probably spend the other 20 bucks and get the Hasegawa set that they made for it, and use the KA wheels on something else.

I recently got a PE set of wheels for the 250 Testarossa, (KA Models?) but I don't think the offset for the wheels is correct for that car especially for the rear. I'll probably spend the other 20 bucks and get the Hasegawa set that they made for it, and use the KA wheels on something else.

Thanks!

The Hasegawa TR optional wheels are excellent. The only way they could be much better was if they were real hand laced wheels with round-section wires and not photoetch. Just follow the instructions to a "T", they look great. Most builders are hesitant to paint them silver (and like the bright appearance), but I had no problem painting them since TR's ran silver painted wire wheels.

• 2 years later...