Model Cars Magazine Forum

"Holy Grail" Models?

Punch- you mean one o' these? :D

I knew these were rare in the US, but according to Punch and Peter (Mr.Mondeo) they are rare in Europe as well. Rather strange, I think, being these things are about as common over there as Ford E-series/Econolines are here. :huh:

The days those Transits were common are long gone.

When they were common, nobody wanted a kit of something so common and utilitarian. So the kits never sold well. ESCI folded a long time ago and the Transit kit is one of the few that never got a second lease of life with another manufacturer. Then the vans became less and less common, and many people now want the kits. See where this is going?

I have tracked down most of my Grails, either through long awaited re-issues or e-bay hunting over the years. The one I did not want to spend the money for was the clear body 1/16th Petty Charger. It has been implied that it may be coming back, so I am glad I did not spend $700 on ebay for one.

Though I would not mind the 1/16th maverick someone posted earlier in this thread, that is really cool.

I would like to see what ever is left of MPCs kits of the 70s continue to come out, Volares, Pintos, Vegas, Chevettes, Vans, etc, cars which were common place and just unremarkable at the time, but are now classics, and kits which have not been seen in 30 years, so the supply has dried up.

new tools? 72-76ish Torino! .. heck any early to mid 70s subjects would be quite welcome.

They made a MKII 'tina? I only ever saw (and had) their MKI.

It's always possible that my memory is failing me, but I'm pretty certain I once saw a MkII kit which sold for something like $150 on eBay, nine or ten years ago. Searching recently, I've only seen evidence of the MkI.

It's always possible that my memory is failing me, but I'm pretty certain I once saw a MkII kit which sold for something like $150 on eBay, nine or ten years ago. Searching recently, I've only seen evidence of the MkI.

It wouldn't surprise me a bit if they did. I recently found out they made a 1:24 scale Austin 1850, possibly other cars, too. You never know what you'll find if you dig deep enough.

Hmmm...grails. About 15 years ago, I started a grail list of AMT, MPC, and Johan annuals from '58 to about '80. I've found many that are on my list that were semi-hard to find ('67 Galaxie ht & conv, '66 Buick Gran Sport, '59-70 Bonnevilles, '59-72 Impalas and '73-76 Caprices, late 60s-early '70s MPC Mopars, etc).

But I still have many on my to-find list--early '60s AMT Mopars (Imperials, Valiants, etc), various '60s compacts (Chevy IIs, Corvairs, Falcons), early '70s MPC Firebirds and Camaros to name a few. Also still looking for some Italeri Ferraris that I missed out on 20 years ago..

Edited by Rob Hall

I don't have any,anymore. I've been blessed to be able ta get an original release of the 1/12th kit of the Lola T-70 coupe by Tamiya , and a mint 1928 Ford sedan by AMT, so that's it. I've wanted these for SOOOOO long(the 28 since about 64 or 65 when they were first released) and the Lola since I first saw a real one in 66!. And the Batmobile is now with us, so MY list is complete! :D:);)

• 7 months later...

Its the Pocher F40 this model is HUGE!! 1/8th scale. Ive been trying to get one for over 4 years , but every time I bid on one on eBay I get out bid. Well not this time! I plan on fully detailing this one to museum quilaty with the help of a "Autograph Trans kit" http://www.scaleauto...nskitphotos.htm

So I found mine whats your Holy Grail kit???? (holy grail is something you consider almost impossible to find)

check out how big the box is.....thats my laptop in the background LOL!

F40andpromodbody007.jpg

look at the size of these parts.....

F40andpromodbody009.jpg

F40andpromodbody010.jpg

F40andpromodbody011.jpg

Lets here from you..... B)

Edited by Romell R

Well l don't know about impossible to find, but one of my favorite cars of all time that l never thought l could GET: Johan 1963 Plymouth Fury. l finally found a built-up that l could afford back in December & have been slowly collecting parts to upgrade it since. Should have it finished ia a couple weeks. Might not mean much to others, but to me & my modest budget, it's a lot. Bart

Geeze, I remember when you could buy that rascal out of a magazine for about a hunnert bucks! They were advertised at that price to get you to join a modelers club backed by Pocher I believe. You bought it, and sent pictures in and you'd get it put in their magazine and they even offered to buy it back from you! I still have a few 1/8 scale stuff that I'll never build, but no Pocher kits unfortunately!

Tear that rascal UP, Rom!! It coulda dun ALOT worse than to have a Car Nut like YOU get their hands on it!!! You GO Bro!!!! :lol::D;)

Rom; great score; the autograph kit for that car is incredible as well. The paint looks iffy at best....most of them were that way. I will tell you ,that stripping the metal pocher body is really easy....simply soak it in lacquer thinner and the factory paint will fall right off... I have done a bunch of the testarossa this way...and remember....the paint on the real cars was SO thin; you could actually make out the C/F under it......Can't wait to see this one done..............Matt

For me , it's the original MPC 1968 Color Me Gone Charfer funnycar.

I have a builder to tackle someday. I had a mint unbuilt kit ,, but like an idiot sold it a few years back, and I would like to have another someday if the price is right.

A close 2nd is the Johan 1963 Dodge Polara hardtop kit. I have one builder but need maybe 3 or 4 more ( no real interest in an unbuilt version )

Theres been a rash of builders and unbuilts on Ebay lately but I'm not paying the prices what this kit goes for. I have one for now, and I don't think I have over $40 in it.

look at the size of these parts.....

F40andpromodbody010.jpg

Lets here from you.....

I don't know, maybe you just have really small hands.

And this may not really count as Grail because they are out there, but it is my particular obsession. I don't think Tamiya will ever reissue this so I buy them whenever I can; well, when I can at a reasonable price. I first found one in a store still bearing the price tag applied when it arrived in the mid-1980s: $20.00. I sold that to a fellow modeler who made a desperate plea and my kind and generous nature said yes. Then I regretted almost immediately. Now I have several in the stash and will never, ever sell one again. I've yet to build one, but one is in the next-up pile.

175-7582_IMG.jpg

Enjoy that Ferrari! It's a bear to build right and not as nice as some of the earlier Pocher kits. Never understood why a metal body and plastic chassis when the real car had a lightweight carbon fiber (plastic) body and steel tube chassis. But... it's a fun kit and indeed hard to find.

B)

Looks expensive. Are you going to build it as a race car or stock?

I plan to build this one stock but super detailed

Rom; great score; the autograph kit for that car is incredible as well. The paint looks iffy at best....most of them were that way. I will tell you ,that stripping the metal pocher body is really easy....simply soak it in lacquer thinner and the factory paint will fall right off... I have done a bunch of the testarossa this way...and remember....the paint on the real cars was SO thin; you could actually make out the C/F under it......Can't wait to see this one done..............Matt

Thanks Matt for the tip Im gonna repaint this one Black

Rom this is going to be wicked cool.

I can not wait to see it on the bench.

I all ready am jealous of your building skills but now ya go and do this.

I love it,are you going to do a factory paint job or something wild?

Nah Tim Ferrari's are my favorite car and I have the utmost respect for the make, which means (for me ) if you do a ferrari you do it by the numbers. Thats why you guys have never seen me do one, because I want to do it right. Im gonna keep her in a factory fresh black paint.

Rom for me the f40 is one of the only super cars I'd ever want to own. That and the acura nsx wich i see as the poor mans ferrari .wich some day I would like to own now that there hovering in my price range for my holy grail models woud be rosso 1/12 Honda Nsx kit $252. + $60 shiping eBay ,hasegwa 1/12 Nissan 300zx twin turbo $600.+ $90. Shipping on eBay .and lastly hasegwa 1/12 rx7. 1 on eBay currently being bid on.

Is the the pocher kits highly detailed on ther own?