Model Cars Magazine Forum

"Holy Grail" Models?

MPC 1968 Dodge Coronet.

Ya me too, the only thing I got is a 68 Convertible needing restoration. ;):D

Modelcollectionbuick-03.jpg

My Old Bro Restored a 68 SuperBee, I've been Looking for a Hardtop to do a model of it.

Too bad he painted it white and not the original Metallic Forest Green-ish (I'm guessing, It was that green, it was a green to begin with)

Etzel's Frontenac, and maybe another one of his '25 Duesenbergs (mine was damaged in a fire).

When Lance Sellers releases them: the 1911 Marmon Wasp (1st Indy winner) and the Miller/Ford Indy car ('35?).

The 1st-release Revell Porsche Carrera Speedster. I know, I know, that guy had a case of "new" ones on Ebay last month, and each kit went for reasonable money, but I was too busy preparing for my daughter's wedding to follow the auctions and bid. Oh, well.

I was able to bag the Revell 1/25 VW Microbus (the '67(?) release w/box art that graphically aped the popular BBD&O VW ads of the day) for less than $30.00, including shipping. Box is a 9 out of 10, kit is complete, and there's only 3 tire burns - 2 minor and easily fixed, but the steering wheel rim is totally melted. No biggie.

Another "Grail" that I finally nailed is the Revell '57 Nomad w/Sam Hollingsworth's car on the box. Perfect condition, the box nearly a 10 (the only reason I wanted this kit, really); the kit is just as crappy as I remember it, though, and I won't bother building it. I'm thinking of combining the Revell new-tool '56 Nomad and '57 BelAir to build Hollingsworth's 'Mad and, of course, use the box as a back-drop for the display.

Mine would be all the Testors "Those Famous Fords". I have a few but am always looking for more. Also the Union Ferarri 330, Chaparrals and Lolas. I've been on a road racing binge lately... Also looking for the Fujimi Enthusiest 356s. Just got to find them all for what I'm willing to pay for 'em. Of course, I'm always willing to trade...

The 1967 STP/Granitelli Indianapolis turbine car. I think it was MPC or IMC, in 1/20 scale. I saw the real thing at time trials back in the day. It was really weird when the others went roaring by and then just a "whoosh" of that day-glo red machine going by.

I had it and built it when I was a hack 14 yr old slapping them together as fast as possible. Sure would like another crack at it!

Another "Grail" that I finally nailed is the Revell '57 Nomad w/Sam Hollingsworth's car on the box. Perfect condition, the box nearly a 10 (the only reason I wanted this kit, really); the kit is just as crappy as I remember it, though, and I won't bother building it. I'm thinking of combining the Revell new-tool '56 Nomad and '57 BelAir to build Hollingsworth's 'Mad and, of course, use the box as a back-drop for the display.

Funny you should mention that. That is what I'm doing with this build...

IMG_2609-vi.jpg

Resin 64 Bonneville 4door wagon conversion.

+1!! I'd actually prefer a Catalina, because that's what we had in my childhood, but a Bonneville would sure do. Saw a gorgeous 1:1 Catalina wagon this past spring at the Charlotte AutoFair--a 4-speed TriPower car, no less. It's now for sale on Hemmings: http://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/dealer/pontiac/catalina/1251450.html

Frog 1:16 Ford Cortina MkII. I saw one once on eBay, about 10 years ago. Didn't look like a very good kit, but I think it's the only one ever made of a MkII Cortina.

Into the realm of fantasy:

1966-67 Olds Vista Cruiser

DeLorean (stock, NOT Back to Future) with opening doors

Triumph Italia

Fiat Brava--2dr, 4dr or wagon

Only because he won the first race I went to at Irwindale, I have always loved the Charlie Allen Dart. Bought one as a kid for $2.50 at the T G & Y (five and dime). I spent my allowance and my mom wouldn't give me an advance, so at the age of 15 I got a job at a tire shop. I bought that model with my first paycheck and did a pretty good job on it for someone with minimal experience. It died in a California earthquake that same year.

Second favorite would be to build a diorama of a true life occurence. I was taking a picture of the Wynn's 777 Cougar as it sat in the staging area at Irwindale. I paid no attention to the car in front of it until it lit up the tires on it's way to the strip. I was pelted with rubber shavings and stank of burning rubber and nitro. (Can I get a Tim Allen, "O O O O O !!) The car and driver that performed that questionable staging lane burnout ? Don Schumacher in the Stardust 'Cuda.

Edited by Batzilla

Uh George , I'm quite sure you meant to say a 57 Ranchero. If you are referring to a Revell. Now meanwhile , A M T did issue both the original and it's first Re-issue in the same art work using a Green /W scolloped 1960 El camino .

Now my Grail above all the stuff out there an money wern't an object , Uh a Monogram Futuresta by Daryl Starbird .......... Ed Shaver

The Monogram Darryl Starbird Futurista ?

I know what you mean Ed...the few times one pops up on Ebay it always goes for righteous bucks.

Next to the Uncertain T it has to be among the rarest of the 60's model car kits.

One is already out, the 66 batmobile, tho other one is a large scale 1/350 USS Enterprise NCC-1701 from Star Trek, due out next year.

I'm with you 100%!! So glad the 66 Batmobile came out. I just finished the snap kit on the weekend and have the glue kit waiting at the LHS. Did you join Club 1701? I got a red T-shirt! Looks to be an awesome kit. My other was a Saturn V rocket, which I picked up in the spring and haven't built yet.

Edited by Tony T

My grail isn't merely one kit. It is to finally accomplish the task of having one of every model year Corvette kit in my stash. Then all will be right with the world. Lol

Keep at it, it can be done, but then the obsession becomes one of having one of every year built and on the shelf or having one of every Corvette model ever produces in the stash. I've achieved your quest but still working on the other two.

rob