Model Cars Magazine Forum

Who rides bicycles here?

That Yamaha Motobike from the '70's brings back a lot of memories. I knew several kids that had them. I myself had one of the AMF "Evil Knievel" bikes

bicycle.jpg

As BMX Bikes became more popular I ended up stripping everything down to the bare frame and painting it red and adding mag wheels. :lol: To make matters worse about 10 years ago when I was back home picking up stuff I had stored - I hauled that box of Dress Up Goodies to the Dump. - I know , I know I could of sold them and bought Models..

Now days I ride either one of these bikes

sean.jpg

Giant.jpg

Edited by Sean D

We did some pretty wierd things with our bikes back in the 50s/60s. Used a 26" frame and rear wheel with a cut down fork with a 20" wheel in front. We were always going downhill. Then we replaced the handlebars with a car steering wheel. On another project, we took everything off a 26" frame, turned it upside down and put it back together. Somebodys Dad welded a tube so we could sit. The rider sat very high in the air. Of course, many of our rides featured the clothes pin and playing card for the rear wheel and many had ballons tied to the rear.

I wish I had pics to share with you.

Well, picked up around nine bikes while out and about today! Now the wife will be able to have one, and one of those was a working exercise bike, so I can start strengthening my legs and shin splints! Will have two to fix up and sell and one to fix up for a aquantence. The best one was a BIG Schwinn Sting Ray in Ridable condition. Will change out the pedals for rubber ones and will put on a short ape hanger and once I get a larger piece of tube, hope to put on a saddle seat instead! This next winter I will repaint it maybe black with blue flames? Now I can tsart riding bike again starting tomorrow if it does not snow! Jody

Actually, looking at that pic closely, it looks like the fromt two riders do the pedaling! Looks like only foot rests for the back riders! Ill go riding with ya. I call the back! HEHEHE! Jody

I wouldn't want to try and go uphill in that...

Judging by the size of the front sprocket, I would guess the gearing is quite low. I would think that pedaling effort is moderate but forward progress is somewhat retsrained. :lol:

I believe that has a variable ratio front (or midship idler) sprocket in it--those are infinitely variable, within the size/diameter, but are too heavy and two wide (thick) to be practical on a bicycle.

Back during the middle 1970's oil crises, there was a brief fling with PPV's (People Powered Vehicles) and a local entrepreneur (whom I knew) was building them, along the lines of the rig shown, in addition to two seaters, and a wicked-fast single seater. He was using that sort of infinitely variable sprocket setup, which is what requires that ten-speed derailleur type spring-loaded tensioner on the chain at the rear sprocket. Only thing though, with the canvas top raised, the thing was very much a "sail"--with a strong wind behind you, it was a bear to stop, and going against the wind--top up? Fuggedaboudit!

Art

And now for something completely different... :lol:

natural-born-killa-custom-lowrider-.jpg

I love the double duty pedal/kickstand!! I don't think you can lean this one over on corners while pedaling. Could get fun! :rolleyes:

And where do you grab on the handlebars? Where are the handlebars? :(

It must handle like a front-end loader the way it is articulated. The fork? is so long and the head tube is vertical. :)

I know it is a show only machine but it is still ridiculous because it strays so far from what a bicycle is. If they mounted it on a base and never pretended it could operate on the ground it would be more acceptable. Oh Well! Some think that grown men building little cars is crazy, too!

Edited by Modelmartin

Andy, the Motobecane is a 27" with an extra long seat post (I'm 6'7" and that's mostly leg). That bike has seen many miles without a single problem. Beautiful bike.

Harry - measure your frame from the center of the bottom bracket to the top (or center) of the top tube along the seat post. It is probably 25". The 27" is the wheel size. The largest frame Motobecane lists in their '75 and '79 catalogs (the only "mid 70's" catalogs I could find on line) was 25". However, I do (vaguely) remember ordering some very large frames (larger than the usual 24.5-25" everyone else offered) from one of the French importers back in the 70's. Can't remember which one, but it wouldn't surprise me if it was Motobecane.

Very cool thread, I was riding a modern mountain bike (not happily) until my son found me a new bike at a garage sale for $10.00. :(

I've done a bit of work since the pics were taken but it's an absolutely gorgeous 1972 Peugeot PX-10.

FORDSVTPARTS - sorry, but your Peugeot is a AO-8, not a PX-10. http://cyclespeugeot.com/1970-1979PeugeotCatalog.html

ive got three (or four, depending on how you count) cars and a motorcycle but my favorite way of getting around remains a bicycle.

i typically ride a modern trek mountain bike but have collected schwinn bicycles for years. decades really.

bought this Black Phantom at a garage sale 10 or so years ago. replaced some parts but left it unrestored, i like the patina much more than a newly done resto look:

blackphantom.jpg

ive also got another fat tire schwinn, nothing special though:

dscn6287.jpg

my favorites though are two mid 60s middleweights, one a speedster (tall gear on the front) and the other a typhoon or something, that one with a two speed kick back hub. dont have photos of them handy but they are pretty nice looking in black with chrome (speedster) or painted (typhoon) fenders, black and white schwinn seats and some accessories including a Lucas bell (!) that looks like a Flash Gordon ray gun!

Gary, you're right. I measured, it's 25". I haven't ridden that bike in many years and was going off of old (and apparently faulty!) memory.

Harry. Measure the standover height which is floor to the top horizonatl tube. It sounds like it could be in range of my size. 27 was too tall for me. That bike may look good in my garage. :wacko:

Harry, that bike is a Schwinn Orange Crate, retail, 180.00 in 1969! I wanted one of thos REALLY bad but I had just bought my Stingray the year before(at 84.00 with tax) and I couldn't save up enough paper route money to afford it. I STILL wish I had my Candy Blue Stingray with the Metalflake white banana seat!(I gave it to my stupid nephew, an it got stolen!!!)angry.gif

I got an electric blue StingRay with A SLICK!!! for Christmas of 64. I believe that was the first year for them. Sure wish I had it now. Single speed, Bendix coaster brake. I was the wheelstand king of my neighborhood. I've ridden various bicycles through the years, but have had to give in to Arthritis.

Well guys, I have jumped off of the deep end! I have a bench built with a miter saw with steel cutting blade, vice and soon a home made pvc bike mechanics stand. also have a smaller pipe bender coming. Now to try to sell enough model stuff to get a bigger serious tube bender for inch and inch and a quarter stock! Also will run electric to it for the wire wheel and grinder! I also took my schwinn stingray for a five mile ride today! Boy, after 8 years I sure am out of shape! LOL. Was a nice hour and a half ride though! I found out at faster speeds, my back rim needs truing as I get a bumpedy bump out of it, enough to raise the rear end up about a 1/4 inch when flying down the road! so now to make a tire truer stand! Will need special accomodation for that 4" rime though :lol: LOL. Also new now is a brand new forum! Only thing to add are pics on it and people to chit chat with and post! LOL. Heres the link for anyone interested! Thanks. Jody

http://kustombikes.proboards.com/

there were a whole heap of Whizzers, basically Schwinn fat tire bikes with an added on motor, coming across on my ferry boat the other day. didnt have my camera but if i had would have taken and posted a pic. pretty cool really. then on a drive into the city i see one guy on one but he was peddling instead of riding so i take it the motor failed. knowing how difficult it is just to pedal my black phantom any distance, im sure the guy was huffing and puffing and we were still a good 15 miles from the city which is where i take it he was headed. i would have stopped and offered a ride but was in my Miata and that aint gonna work.

1948_Whizzer.jpg

"http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZ6oq8oOBFY"

Oh wow! I had one of those Phantoms. I bought it from paper route money when Mom & Dad were at work. By the time they got home I had taken the fenders off, replaced the handlebars with ape hangers, kept the luggage rack and tank and had painted a mint green. I think brand new it cost $50 or $60. My folks were pissed when they got home. Dad threw it in the trunk and went to the Schwinn dealer to return it. No way since I had stripped it down and painted it. They grounded me.