Model Cars Magazine Forum

MPC Mustang II Cobra kits

11 hours ago, unclescott58 said:

Interesting that Marks does not make decals for the version I'd want to build. The dark blue with the white stripes. I'm guessing he has no way of printing white decals? 

Isn't the 6th illustration, the one next to the model pictured, a reference to it being printed in white?

http://public.fotki.com/mofobow/ford/mustang/7677_cobra_ii/

12 hours ago, cobraman said:

I have heard it said that the Mustang lol saved the Mustang nameplate . Not sure if that is true or not . 

Probably true. The Mustang II came out in 74 - just as the first gas crisis hit. So as people were clamoring for small, fuel efficient cars, the "new" Mustang was in the right place at the right time. Most muscle cars had died at the end of this year, so because the Mustang evolved - it survived. Made Ford a lot of money those first couple years too!

On 6/20/2018 at 10:47 AM, Sledsel said:

I doubt we would ever see the Cobra II or Mustang II in stock form from MPC.

The MPC kit was modified into the Pro Stock kit (Dyno Don, Firefighter, Midnight Mustang) The frame would be easy to fix, but not the interior tub.

I know you're right, but I was hoping that wasn't true. The MPC kit was so much better than the AMT kit. And the fact that it WAS offered as a Cobra II makes that pill even harder to swallow. 

On 6/20/2018 at 2:59 AM, unclescott58 said:

Interesting that Marks does not make decals for the version I'd want to build. The dark blue with the white stripes. I'm guessing he has no way of printing white decals? 

His decals are quite nice but remember to put a coat of clear over them to protect them

I pretty well ruined the white stripes on my '74 Duster trying to clean a smudge off it after it was applied to the car.

Edited by Can-Con

Well. Until someone reissues or offers a new Mutt II* Cobra II model, this will have to hold me over. It's GreenLight's 1/64th scale die cast of Jill Munroe's 1976 Ford Mustang II Cobra II. A very nice replica it is too. Sad to say, I'm not a big fan of Charlie's Angels. And I'm more interested in car than the packaging. So I will be removing the car from the package and throwing the actual packaging in the garbage. Ruining the value of a "mint in the package" toy car. 

* Calling Mustang IIs, Mutt IIs is for me a term of affection. Everybody likes to put them down. I actually liked them the first time I saw them back in late 1973. The only mistake I think that Ford made was not offering a V8 in the Mutt IIs that first year. But, they figured that one out pretty quickly, and fixed it the '75 model year. Mustang should always a least offer a V8 to help maintain its performance image. Even if a 4 or V6 is all it really needs. 

IMG_2930.JPG