Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

pro-built?

A friend at work asked me today if I'd be interested in building a model for him of his Dad's old 1:1. I told him that I wasn't interested as I've little enough time for my own projects. I then suggested he check out some of the builders that sell on Ebay, and see if he can get one to build for him.

So at lunch we surfed and looked at a lot of "pro-built" models on Ebay. I noticed there seems to be quite a diverse group of folks calling themselves pro-builders, from a skill stand-point.

So what's your thoughts on these pro-builders and the pro-posers? And finally does anyone know a person who does this sort of thing that I might refer my friend to?

I've been tempted many times to make a post about the term "pro built" and the modelers who use this description for themselves, especially those found on eBay. I didn't want to offend anyone so I've always bit my tongue and kept quiet, and personally never used the term "pro built" to EVER describe anything I've ever done as I cant stand the usage of the term. We are modelers and there are an endless varying degree to all of our skill sets. Should I call myself an Olympic Modeler because I used to enter contests? :) No offense to ANYONE or anyones skill level, but it seems commonplace for those ebayers using the term "pro built" to only have plug wires and flocking (if that much). Either those people like patting themselves on the back, someone lied to them years ago about the quality of their builds, or they think if they include the words "pro built" that it will bring extra $$ to their auction.

To define the term properly means only one thing. If you call yourself a "Pro-builder" that should only mean that your model builds are what you do full time and you get paid for your work, almost like contract work. I know of a few people around the country that do this. It also means that you had better be real good at what you do because the expectations of the buyer should be as close to perfection as possible.

The rest of us probably fall under the category of "amateur builder", and are most likely quite happy with that title.

Edited by 1320wayne

I don't know about getting paid for it or contract work. I have sold several scratchbuilt items for decent money but would'nt even come close to considering myself a pro builder.

To me, "pro builder", would be along the lines of Romell and Treehugger Dave to name a couple. Simply because of the assortment of materials used for fabricating unique, one off parts in addition to body work, bashing, quality of finish and the sort.

Edited by mountaindewd

When I see what some people actually pay for these "pro built" models, I cringe. No disrespect meant to anyone out there, but paying in excess of anything over $20.00 for a builtup that all you can see are pictures - and crappy, small pictures at that, is nothing short of a gamble. I have paid as much as $40.00 for a model but not because some guy or gal who knows squat about models says that it is "professionally built", but because it is an old annual that I really take a shine to or have wanted for a long time. I recently purchased a '60 Mercury convertible that when I took it out of the box - I was amazed at how good it looked! It's not contest quality but it'll look just fine sitting on the shelf just as it is although I plan to do a number on it - total strip down and refinish in a colour of my choice. My point is that there are sellers who would call this model "pro built" just like to some sellers, any old kit - or kit that they even think may be old - is now a "promo". "Promo" is the new buzzword amoing the ignorant and the deceptive and shady. Many auctions use the term kit and promo in the item title.. go figure. I'm still trying to figure that one out. Either it is a kit or it is a promo.. it can't be both - just like you can't be "a little bit pregnant". Either it is one or the other.

I agree that there are VERY few sellers who sell their models who are even close to "pro's". Most are average I would say.. but there are those who fall for the line. I often wonder how many of the buyers are disappointed when they take their purchase out of the box. I guess that it's called "marketing".. being as how there is no real concrete, carved in stone, definition of just what a "pro" is, it's as harry said - "buyer beware". Just my opinion..... B):):)

As The Tinman stated ( Harry ) , it is a buyer beware market these days . Six , maybe seven years ago , there was a handful of builders on Ebay that put out a beautiful product on a regular basis . I started selling builds simply because I was running out of room and needed the space . The very first build I sold opened up a door to the West Coast for me that proved to be very lucrative , both financially , and exposure wise.

I was able to show my cars , both on the East and West Coast, because of this one sale . I formed a partnership with this individual and we made good money over the next couple of years with collectors across the country. Enter the posers .... The market bottomed out !Cameras do lie ! People were paying good money for garbage . The model looked good in the photos , once they arrived , it was a diffrent story. Once this started occuring on a regular basis , the well went dry !

A professional is someone that is paid for their services. Buying built model cars for a collection is no diffrent than anything else on the planet when it comes to the purchase itself ! Find a reputable individual that stands behind their work and go from there . Like anyting else in life , one has to learn to separate the wheat from the chafe ! In other words . the diffrence between a professional and a poser is the product that they produce and the reputation that stands behind it !

Donn Yost

Lone Wolf Custom Painting

Models by Jon, he's a member here and loves doing things like this, and has been building pro, high dollar builds for years, and sells them on ebay like bags of popcorn at the fair, great guy, we have been modeling together over the internet for about 2 years now.

I have sent you a PM with this man Email, just talk to him and he will show you what he's got done.....

Edited by unforgiven

I've built a few models for people who wanted a scale version of their 1:1. My builds weren't the greatest, but then I didn't charge anything either. I just like building models and found trying to duplicate a 1:1 in scale was a challenge. Maybe I should have asked for the price of the original kit?

Sorry to get technical on everybody:

pro·fes·sion·al

   /prəˈfɛʃənl/ Show Spelled[pruh-fesh-uh-nl] Show IPA

–adjective

following an occupation as a means of livelihood or for gain: a professional builder.

(Websters) :)B)

I`ve posted a few on Ebay and built a few by request and was paid for them. It was/is mainly out of necessity, to pay bills or something. I would much build only for my personal enjoyment though.

The real problem as I see it is that there are two terms here and nothing in between. Those are pro or professional and amateur. The technical use of these terms simply denote one who is paid vs. one who is not. In reality, to me, they denote more than receiving compensation for doing a task. In the old world there were several degrees of craftsmen. There was the apprentice, the journeyman and the master or master craftsman. Each of these clearly gave gave an indication of the quality of work that they were capable of, rather than a status of paid worker vs. unpaid. In todays world we differentiate professional from non professional as a person who strives to maintain a higher degree of standards and ethics than a non professional. An amateur is a person of lower skill who does not deserve to be paid for their work. The real problem is that neither of these terms is definitive enough to provide useful information.

By these terms, I would like to consider myself a professional, as my personal standard for model building is relatively high. Am I a master craftsman? No, I think that should be reserved for the few who build from raw materials and plans such as Gerald Windgrove and Dale King, and frankly I am a modifier of kits. Some day I would like to do a total scratch build, but I doubt I will live long enough to develop the skill to do that. I personally can't apply the term amateur to my self either as I have done some commission work and frankly amateur has a bit of a negative connotation regarding the skill level employed. I doubt that on eBay you would see someone advertising their work as "amateur built" because it carries such a negative connotation.

So I suppose if someone held themselves out as a Pro-builder, you are entitled to ask for credentials. What have you done that sets you above the rest? Have you won major contests? Have you built well recognized works? Have you done work for well respected companies or persons? Have you been published?

As Harry said, any one can call them selfs a professional, but only a real professional can give references. Don't be afraid to ask for them before you purchase something. Caveat emptor!

• 3 weeks later...

I know tha NMRA has a Master Modeler achievement that can be earned through successfully completing certain tasks. Maybe we should come up with some type of standard like that for model cars. That way when somebody claims to be an MCM Master Modeler we would know just what level of quality work can be expected. Just a thought.

David G.