Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell preview photos from Toledo NNL #31

SteveG

Stop it you guys! You are embarassing me! :D

Oh by the way, could you talk to my boss for me? He doesn't have nearly the same impression of me that you guys do. His opinion of me went way, way down when I asked for a raise! :o

Seriously though, Tim Boyd is one of the great all around guys in this hobby. From the days of his prize winning models appearing in MPC contest coverage in Car Model Magazine to his long running column in Street Rodder magazine and his many great articles in SAE and Model Cars. Few have given so much to this hobby. He is a nice guy, too.

Mark is an OK guy, too :D . He is an great member of this forum and a very fun guy to hang with. See you at NNL North next year again, I hope.

Edited by Modelmartin

I think the basic "complaint" is this: it's a lot easier to build a custom/hot rod/street rod starting with a stock kit than the other way around. After all, just about everyone has the custom and speed parts in their parts box or stash to "hot rod" a stock kit... but how many rep stock builders have the parts on hand needed to build a stock version of this kit?

By offering a "custom only" model kit, the rep stock builders have been shut out. I know that the decision to offer a custom-only kit was based on projected/anticipated sales, and I can't argue with that decision from a business standpoint... but to release a new kit that right off the bat excludes a certain segment of modelers is going to raise some objections. Again, it's a calculated business decision and I understand that... but along with that decision you're going to get a certain percentage of unhappy modelers.

By offering a "custom only" model kit, the rep stock builders have been shut out. I know that the decision to offer a custom-only kit was based on projected/anticipated sales, and I can't argue with that decision from a business standpoint... but to release a new kit that right off the bat excludes a certain segment of modelers is going to raise some objections. Again, it's a calculated business decision and I understand that... but along with that decision you're going to get a certain percentage of unhappy modelers.

It's not a new kit, it's a modified reissue. The stock convertible variant...sold terribly. Buy one of those and a resin coupe body...bingo. No matter what Revell does, someone is going to complain.

Guess I'll wade in here, if the car '48 Coupe was only offered as a replica stock, I'd leave it on the shelf as I have no interest in a "stock" anything (I'll tweak pretty much anything I own in all honesty ;) ) and having this car be an out of the box chop top just makes me more willing to do so. Now had they offered it as a stock top with alot of the shown goodies as well, I'd be willing to buy it too, but that top chop just changes it from a "if I have the money I'll buy it" to a "Put a post it with my name on it after I price tag it and buy it ASAP" type kit :rolleyes:

As for the being "stuck" with the top pre-chopped "limiting creativity", that to me is just a short sighted steaming load just like "Ready To Runs have ruined the R/C industry!" :lol: What is it that makes people think that just because there are things done for you that you can't go back and make other changes to compliment the factory work, or change that portion even further to make it more to your liking or appropriate for the given build :huh:

I wish they had given US the option or not to have a chopped top. A M T did it back in 1962 with their 57 Chevrolet kit . They also did it with the 53 Studebaker . Now i'll be figguring our how to unchop the top........ Ed Shaver

Ed, i think there's more complex cuts required to to that to the 48, than the old 4 cut roof chop on them little 57's! But THAT woulda been a GREAT option!!!!:lol::D:P;)

Edited by george 53

The '48 kit's big sister (the convert kit) gave the option of a chopped windsheild frame- the builder was advised to use the chopped windshield glass as a template to fit the frame back together. Offering two tops with the coupe may have been a viable idea... then both rep-stock AND rod/custom builders would probably be griping about the resulting seam which needed to be filled (as they are wont to do with the AMT and Monogram '36 Ford kits)!

Thanks, Big Joe! I thought there were more of you guys out there.

William, Craig, and the rest - I'm one of you, and things have just gotten to such a state that I'm compelled to say sorry, we're just gettin' ours on this one.

It doesn't serve much purpose in the conversation to go on about how you personally don't like something, but hell, at least that's just a straight-out personal opinion, impossible to contradict as such.

Where things get contentious is in the attempt to rationalize your opinion into some kind of argument that Revell is making a mistake with the way they're focusing this kit. History just doesn't support us on this, and this thread alone is rife with examples of how easily those rationalizations are totally dismantled; houses of cards have had more stability than some of the arguments for stock that we've seen here.

And until more of the custom/rodder contingent comes along puling and whinging about how our favorite factory stock cars don't cater to them, or about how THEIR INDIVIDUAL REFUSALS to buy a given kit prove what a mistake it was to offer that kit in a style that didn't suit them, they're perfectly entitled to serve a bit of our garbage back to us.

The lack of stock parts and a stock height roof will NOT be preventing me from buying the '48, though I do agree with my rep-stock brethren that I wish it had a stock height roof. Judging from the Kustom Kontent in the photos posted, I won't be too disappointed by the released kit. I'm just glad Revell is in a position to keep up with the modified reissues and new tool kits- they keep 'em coming, and I'll keep buying 'em... provided I like the 1:1 subject of course! In this case, I do.

Something else I remember Dean mentioning was that during his tenure with Revell, he was able to convince the company to spend the money on new tooling to enable the release of a stock version of its venerable old '56 Ford pickup, which had previously been available only as a street-machine-only kit. Again, Dean's reasoning was that modelers had been hankering to be able to build this kit stock, and that a stock-only version would therefore sell like gangbusters.

Revell kept the street machine version on the market at the same time as the stock one. Care to guess which one was the better seller, and by a WIDE margin at that? :P

I have to wonder,though, if in that particular case, it was the woefully ill-proportioned body which killed the kits appeal to replica stock fans. Still, I do see (and believe) what you are saying!

I'll just wait it out on this one, maybe a stock roofed resin body is in the future, or maybe Revell will come out with a stock roofed rendition years from now. I've got more than enough kits to keep me busy. I may buy this kit after I see a few built up! And yes, I do have the chopped Merc kit in my inventory waiting for it's day in the sun! Maybe it's time to broaden my horizon!

I for one am really looking forward to the '48! I think it's awesome that Revell has been adding and changing things in their kits to please those of us who love traditional styled rods and kustoms. These things like chopped tops, hubcaps , whitewalls, kustomizing parts etc....that's what keeps me buying "new" kits. Otherwise....I hunt for the oldies to build what I love. (to each their own)

Here's a kit suggestion for Revell ... how about another street rod version of the '40 Ford coupe, done similarly to the upcoming '48 coupe, with a chopped and sectioned body and multiple customizing parts? Or, how about a '40 convertible with a chopped windshield, tuck-n-roll interior and Carson top?

In either case, the factory stock crowd wouldn't have a leg to stand on to complain, seeing as how Revell has already done bone-stock and stock-bodied street rod versions of both.

I realize that doing second street rod versions might cause some confusion with less-educated consumers, but Revell could get around that by referring to them as "Kustoms" instead.

Hmmmmm.... I like the idea, but I dunno. I guess it kind of depends on what kind of 'custom' parts are included. '40 Fords have had everything from nerf bumpers and skirts to canted quad headlamps added to them- but I'm thinking the resulting kit would be a mostly otherwise stock '40 with a chopped top. Not necessarily a bad thing, IMHO, but maybe not "Kustom" enough to draw in a new audience. And if they did go with a more extreme custom

it might go too far and scare off people who'd otherwise be into it.

I guess its doable, and I think it would be a good seller, but they'd be walking a tightrope in how they approached what parts/modifications to include.

Here's a kit suggestion for Revell ... how about another street rod version of the '40 Ford coupe, done similarly to the upcoming '48 coupe, with a chopped and sectioned body and multiple customizing parts? Or, how about a '40 convertible with a chopped windshield, tuck-n-roll interior and Carson top?

In either case, the factory stock crowd wouldn't have a leg to stand on to complain, seeing as how Revell has already done bone-stock and stock-bodied street rod versions of both.

I realize that doing second street rod versions might cause some confusion with less-educated consumers, but Revell could get around that by referring to them as "Kustoms" instead.

I could go for one with the Caddy mill or early hemi from their other kits to build a shine runner.

I could go for a '40 kit like that, even more so if it's a '40 Merc B) Maybe have the Kustom pieces be add-on sections like the old AMT kits from the 60's that can be added onto an existing car without having it be specific to one particular kit or be easily added to others as well.