Model Cars Magazine Forum

First Look! New Project - Revells "The Hawaiian"

One of the "other" model car boards has a picture of the Revell Hawaiian taken at the Toledo NNL today. A couple interesting observations:

1)Rear wheel wells are a different shape than the Chi Town Hustler's. Whether they are right or wrong I don't know, but they are angled instead of rounded. Not sure about whether the front wheel well shape is different than the CTH and I am too lazy to go to the basement to get my CTH for comparison.

2) The Hawaiian has the offset roof hatch from the CTH. A few minutes with some putty and that is solved. I don't know if the Hawaiian had a roof hatch at all.

3) It looks to have the correct bugcatcher.

That is as much of a review as I can give from the one photo of the car. Looking fwd to picking it up!!! I am giving Revell lots of thumbs up for the great releases they are coming out with. The CTH really takes the cake. Whoever thought we'd get an offset chassis like that in 2010?? Go Revell! Chris

Yup, and not only has it got a bug catcher, but that bug catcher is dead in the center too - which in turn means that the Hawaiian has its own entirely distinct running gear after all. Major kudos to Revell, if that's the case.

For those of you who have noticed the outline hogged out over the rear wheel arches inside the CTH body shell, that's what the Hawaiian's arches look like.

It looks to me as though the only parts the CTH and the Hawaiian will share will be the bodies, basic engine parts and tires. If you think the about those are the only parts they COULD share and still have the Hawaiian be even remotely accurate. None of the offset chassis parts from the CTH would be correct under the Hawaiian, and that rules out the frame, cockpit, rear axle and headers.

It also appears obvious the Hawaiian won't use the old digger chassis, as had been speculated on here it would.

Finally, regarding that roof hatch ... keep in mind this is a build of a test shot. That could change in the production kit. If it doesn't ... no biggie.

The Hawaiian should have moulded-in rear spoilers, too. I wouldn't surprise me if they do a new top insert to the body tooling. It wouldn't surprise me if they don't, either.

This looks to me as if someone had a set of Hawaiian decals and modified the CTH release. The wheel cut outs are there. That seems like an easy change to backdate the retro body of the CTH. The hood change is pretty doable if you're skilled although I don't know why the fire hatch wasn't filled in. The motor could be swapped from several possible kits. I plan on using one from a PL kit with a different bug catcher, either early Revell or Jo-han. The pineapples are decals.

I'm not sure this is a pre-release of the Hawaiin. If you could see the chassis then we'd know.

Mike

Injector scoop, offset escape hatch, and slightly overscale hood panel gaps sure make it look like the model to me.

So le'z see: we can make out a distinct roll cage and some radius rods behind the left front wheel - so yep, looks like Revell did a solid with the chassis.

;)

Ain' no problem for me, hogging out wheel arches and filling in the hatch seams...

Edited by Chuck Kourouklis

• 2 weeks later...

One thing I find encouraging is the front end looks right. Almost all the previous Logghe Chassis are wrong in that they have the coilovers (normally chromed) on a main rail of the chassis.

I'll be on the lookout for this one.

Mike

Bill and I already have our kits in hand and the review will be up shortly. We'll also be doing our usual buildup at on the "On the Workbench" forum soon where we'll once again enlist Tom Creeger to help with a few more simple detailing tricks.

See you soon,

Len Carsner

Edited by Len Carsner

I knew there weren't too many other teams that use the '69 Mini-Charger body, but, were there others for whom decals haven't been done?

Phil Castronovo's first Custom Body funny car was a '69 or '70 Mini Charger. Whoopee Kat made a small sheet for that car, but when I got the sheet, I did not the quality was high enough to make it worth using. I have thought of scanning in the decals and then trying to improve them with Corel Draw, but without an Alps printer, I don't think the decals can be done. Chris

Slixx also offers a sheet for Dave Condit's "LA Hooker" Charger, which I am seriously thinking of ordering to use on this kit. Of course, one could also use a decal sheet from one of the Polar Lights kits to build either a Mr. Norm's or Gene Snow "Rambunctious" car with the Revell kit.

I knew there weren't too many other teams that use the '69 Mini-Charger body, but, were there others for whom decals haven't been done?

Ken,

There was a second version of the Hawaiian Mini Charger; I sent some images to Slixx, we'll see if they can do it. There's a pretty good photo here:

http://public.fotki.com/434499/drag-racing/funny-car-reference/hawaiian-foster-1.html

Thanks,

Jim Kampmann

Thanks, Jim, that would be a good one!

Wasn't there also a "Flying Dutchman" Mini Charger also, or was that a full-bodied car?

I remember when the PL funny cars first came out, I loaned a Charger and 'Cuda body to an unnamed individual who said he wanted to use them as size references to do Flying Dutchman and other decals. He was supposed to send the bodies back, along with sets of the new decals. I never got either ... ;)

Ken,

The Flying Dutchman was a 'stock' looking Charger body, not the 'mini'. From what I've been told, the Mini-Charger wasn't legal for NHRA competition in '69, but was allowed in 1970. There was a second Gene Snow mini-Charger raced by Jake Johnston. Also I believe there were some raced in UDRA, but they would be pretty obscure. I'm happy to see Round 2 reissue the 'Cuda and '69 Mustang. We were trying to get Polar Lights to do a '69 Nova or '70 Camaro (Jungle Jim cars); maybe someday?

Thanks,

Jim Kampmann

Jim:

Wasn't the Jake Johnson car the '71 Charger with the Revell sponsorship?

Mike

Mike,

No, Gene had a sister car to the Rambunctious Charger that Jake drove. He also drove another Snow Charger before the Revell cars came about. Slixx did the 'flame' Charger as well as what is referred to as the 'ram-horn' car.

Thanks,

Jim Kampmann