Model Cars Magazine Forum

First Look! New Project - Revells "The Hawaiian"

Well, here we go again with another new kit preview, review, and buildup. This time our subject is another new funny car kit from Revell - The Hawaiian!

Coming so close on the heels of the Chi-Town Hustler kit you might be tempted to believe that this kit is just the same thing with new decals. Wrong! I started to list what was different in this new kit and came to the conclusion that it would be easier to list what was the same. So let's just take a look at the box contents and you can judge for yourself.

PICT0105-vi.jpg

From the box art you can clearly see some of the numerous differences between The Hawaiian and The Chi-Town Hustler. But is the kit really different or is it just phototshop magic?

PICT0107-vi.jpg

Here are the instructions and the decal set.

PICT0108-vi.jpg

The new decal sheet is clear and it doesn't look like doubling up the white areas will be necessary.

PICT111-vi.jpg

The body and tires are carry-overs from the CTH kit. And yes, it does have the hatch engraved in the roof. We'll have to fill that in for accuracys sake.

PICT0111-vi.jpg

The glass tree has all new items..

PICT0112-vi.jpg

including this back glass with the famous pineapple cutouts.

PICT0113-vi.jpg

The chassis is all new for this car and is the correct "engine and driver in the center" style.

PICT0114-vi.jpg

The body prop assembly is the only carry-over form the CTH kit on this tree. Note the correct hood insert.

PICT0116-vi.jpg

The Hawaiian is a very different car from the CTH and requires all different interior panels as shown by this tree. None of these are used in the CTH kit.

PICT0117-vi.jpg

The brake rotors and chutes appear to be the same as CTH, other than that the rest is new to the Hawaiian.

continued...

PICT0118-vi.jpg

The main engine components are carry-over items but all others look to be new items for this kit.

PICT0119-vi.jpg

Other than the rear wheels this tree should look familiar.

PICT0120-vi.jpg

Here's a close up of the new rear wheels for The Hawaiian.

PICT0122-vi.jpg

Although the trans pan is the same everything else on this tree is new for this kit.

PICT0123-vi.jpg

So there you have it - a tree-by-tree look at what's in the box. Hopefully we've answered a lot of the questions some of you have had about what differences this kit would have with the Chi-Town Hustler. And as you can see this is more new kit than "re-run".

Once again we've brought Tom Creeger into the mix to show us a few more simple detail tips. And for all of you low-dollar builders I'll be looking for a less expensive alternative to expensive candy paints for my box stock build.

Keep watching, our next update will be coming soon.

Thanks for looking,

Bill Coulter, Tom Creeger, and Len Carsner

Edited by Len Carsner

I really HATE you guys ... LOL! ;):D

Any way you could go ahead and spill the beans on some of the things folks have been wondering ... such as whether the Hawaiian body has the CTH's engraved roof hatch?

You can read my review of the kit contents on this forum, probably a post or two up or down from this one. We'll be starting our posts on the buildup real soon.

Len C.

this isnt my normal subject matter but that sure is kool! just the fact that frame appears to be molded all in one piece, seems a modern miracle to me! and i totally dig those front wheels! looks like another one or two for my christmas list!

And not a digger chassis in sight...

;)

Sorry. I'll stop now.

Hmmm, whaddya know ... I just took a closer look at the body from my CTH kit and there are cut marks for the front wheel openings as well!

So ... looks like we're good in that regard, no? ;)

Yup, saw those, been wondering since what they might be for - doesn't look as if the boxcover modeler availed hisself of 'em. I'd still say this body shell matches most mini-Chargers I've seen more than the Polar Lights kits, nice as they were.

Mark, ever since some yutz purportedly from Revell said they were looking to save money on the tooling by sliding the digger chassis under the Hawaiian (probably 'cause he couldn't keep it straight from the McEwen car) -

sorry, I DID say I'd stop that, didn't I -

there has been some speculation about where and to what extent Revell would cut corners between the kits (I was wondering myself for some time). I think Len was speaking more to our ilk than to yours. :lol:

well it looks like I'll cut up another Polar Lights charger for the side panels . The chassis looks awesome but the body is to flat on the sides andthere is to much wedge in the body and the orginal car DID NOT run spill plates on the lower rocker panels .This is just my opinion but I'll be doing the same work to that body as I did to the Chi-Town to make the body more correct

Chuck

I keep on wondering why not just use the PL Charger body instead of the Revell body? With the exception of the window posts, the PL body looks like the best body for an accurate 1969 Charger. The Revell body is a slab side and has a wedge cut to it that is a great newstalgia body but not an accurate 1969. Chuck's mods do improve the Revell body greatly but does it improve it enough to justify the work? What areas are the Revell body better than the PL? The top of both the front and rear fenders of the Revell body just doesn't look right to me. It is apparent the sides and the lack of wedge of the PL makes it a better body out of the box.

My choice right now, is the Good Stuff Charger body. I got three of those. One is in great shape while the other two show damage.

Hi Mike I'm using the Revell body with the polar lights sides because I want to use the chassis and tin plate from the Revell kit, and the rear windows and I love a challenge . Besides I have several of those bodies just lying around because I used the chassis under resin bodies

thanks Chuck

Three things......

1. Please put together a tutorial. I'm either going to modify the Revell body or a resin Good Stuff body. Either way, there's significant challenges. Of course, I enjoy those challenges.

2. Got any extra MPC Omni/Charger bodies? PM if you do.

3. I'm glad you're sticking around. I thought you were dropping the hobby to concentrate on other things. I hope this is a sign of good things in your life.

Mike

1. I'll try to put a tutorial together when I pickup my new kit

2. I may have and extra body I'll have to look

3.I was going to get out of the hobby because my best freind and model buddy died John Dryjanski. he had a heart attack but I know he would want me to keep building

thanks Chuck

This looks to be a great one too! And it looks like this will be a excellent, informative thread, just like the Chi-town thread. Your thread on the Chi-town kit convinced me to get it, and I am very happy with it.

As for the color, did you consider Duplicolor`s blue Metalcast over Tamiya Mica Blue? I used the red Metalcast over Mica Red, and it came out with a deep candy red color.