Model Cars Magazine Forum

What's up with screen names?

Now I am an old guy who wasn't born into the computer age and maybe that is why I don't get it, but why do people feel the need to use a different name on different modeling website forums? I use the same name no matter if I am on here or any other site.

I am oldscool here, there and everywhere.

Edited by oldscool

My sign in name is the same every where but here I'm known as Donald Gardner other places as prg5609.

It happened here when I typed in my name and I just left it that way.

Well i can say that ive been MOPAR01LEE. ever since i got the net. Yrs ago thats my user an my screen name for everything,also its my email add.

but i see both sides of this, sometimes u cant use ur normal screen name cuz it might be taken already.

but thats the way thing go...

later days '

Davin( AKA Mopar01lee)...... :D:D:D

Now I am an old guy who wasn't born into the computer age and maybe that is why I don't get it, but why do people feel the need to use a different name on different modeling website forums? I use the same name no matter if I am on here or any other site.

I am oldscool here, there and everywhere.

I'm Groucho, here, there, and everywhere since around 1977. Even call my shop "Groucho's Performance". Most folks don't even know my 1st name. If they do, they don't use it

I've used a handle due to professional considerations. Can't explain it to you, I'd have to ... well, you know the rest. ph34r.gif

Besides, what makes you think my real name is my real name?

:)

ph34r.gif

PS: When I first signed on, I wanted to use 'Bart R. Orlans,' but it was already taken. B)

Edited by Danno

I did the exact opposite thing of what everybody else has been doing lately- my screen name was my real name, then I went to this 'Count Chuckula' nonsense simply because it was funny to me. :) But I do use my real name (or some variation on it) on 90% of the boards, though I do have a few weird screen names on some of them.

Guest JamesDE

I go by darkside customs on the other sites, but decided to use my first name and initials on here. Not sure why, but it works for me and people know my name...

Hi, interesting thread. I'm HotRodasaurus, have been for years. As I put in my sig, I sell old magazine from the early days of rodding, hence 'The Jurassic' age haha.

Some friends say its a real cool handle, I originally wanted HotRodZilla but that was taken on other forums.

So I imagine if you only sign on to one forum as say, 67Tiger(I have not checked this forum for that name) there is a good bet that on another forum there may be another 67Tiger, be it a car forum WWII forum or even a wild life forum.

As it goes I am HotRodasaurus here but 40 Year Old Teenager on a music forum, really because it fits the forum better

John

I originally went with what I use for my e-mail account, which was bjoehandley, B stood for my first name, William (just to make things easier :lol: ), My middle name is Joseph, so Joe will be a given, and my last is Handley. I used that for a number of forums, then pared it down to BJoe and have used that on most of the places I go. When one of those happen to be taken, I've used GreenJeep, greenjeep, or GreenJeep1998 since I currently own a Moss Green Pearl 1998 Jeep Cherokee Limited. There was one slot car forum I had been on for a little while where I went by the license plate number I've had since 1995 CYD 806.

For the longest time online I went by my the name on the plate of this car. I lost Internet for a while and my renew date past and someone jumped on my screen name as soon as they could. So since I'm a huge railfan I made this one and it's been mine on any site I'm on so I don't mix up anything. I still use this in all my car games though.

DSC04819.jpg

Edited by Railfreak78

This generated more interest than I expected. The reason I asked this question is because I see the same pics posted on the "other" forum under different names and was curious if someone was stealing others pics . Doesn't seem to be the case but it has happened before. When I first started visiting different forums I found the name oldschool taken on almost all of them so I dropped the H and haven't had that problem since. And besides, it now looks like it is a contraction of "old is cool" which I like.

Thanks for all the comments.